21. To whom did Queen Elizabeth I give permission to establish England’s first American Colony? Sir Walter Raleigh
32. Why did the first colonists return to England? Troubles with local tribes and lack of food.
43. List two things that might have happened to the second, “Lost Colony”: Starving colonists might have joined a local tribe of Indians or they were killed.
54. Since Sir Walter Raleigh lost his investment when Roanoke failed, how did other merchants try to finance later colonies?Through Joint Stock Companies.
65. How are joint stock companies funded? By investors, people who put money into a project to earn profits.
76. What two companies did English merchants form to colonize America? The Virginia Company of LondonThe Virginia Company of Plymouth
87. Who did these companies have to seek permission from after Queen Elizabeth died? King James I, since he was now the King of England.
98. What was important to the economic system called mercantilism? Colonies were important under mercantilism.Colonies were supposed to benefit the “mother country”.For example, Jamestown was started to make England wealthy (like Spain had become wealthy from Native gold).
109. What year did the 100 colonists arrive in the New World? 1607
1110. What bay did the settlers sail into? The Chesapeake Bay
1211. What river did they sail up? The James River
1413. Who was the settlement named after? King James I of England
1514. Why did the colonists at Jamestown become ill? Colonists became ill due to disease carried by water or insects.
1615. List two reasons why the colonists had such hardships at Jamestown: Settlers searched for treasure instead of building houses and planting cropsThe climate - hot and humid in summers and bitter cold in winter
1716. Just how many colonists remained by 1608? Just 38 colonists remained alive
1817. Who took control late in 1608? John SmithSmith’s rule was: “If you don’t work, you don’t eat”
1918. What did the colonists eat during the “starving time”? Rodents and snakesAnything organic: rats, dogs, cats, boots, bugs……..
2019. What arrived in 1610 to save the colony? Relief ships arrived in 1610
2120. Describe the relationship between the Jamestown colonists and the Powhatan Indians: The relationship was tense and sometimes violent