Presentation on theme: "Unit4 Green world Rose lily Tulip Sunflower Peony the Chinese national flower."— Presentation transcript:
Unit4 Green world
Peony the Chinese national flower
peony tulip rose Sun flower Science of studying plants is called botany
THE BIRTH OF A SCIENCE botany
Coffee beans are used to make coffee.
Coffee originally came from Africa, although coffee-drinking started in Arab countries. Coffee as a crop is now grown in subtropical regions, such as Latin America, Africa, Arabia, Indonesia, Hawaii, India and in Southeast Asia. Subtropical: 亚热带的 热带的 ：＿＿＿＿＿＿＿
Tea is used to make tea.
Tea originally came from China. Currently, the most important tea producing countries are China, Japan, India and Sri Lanka. Currently: 普遍地, 通常地, 现在, 当前
Chili is used as a spice to make food more tasty
Other than what some Chinese students may believe, chili is not originally from China, but from Latin America. Chili is grown in tropical countries all over the world. Do you like chili?
Hemp is used to make rope or carpets.
Hemp originally came from the Central Asia, and has been known to China for more than 10,000 years. The British spread hemp to all their colonies as its fibre was used to make sails and rope for their ships. It is now produced in all countries of the world. fibre ：纤维, 构造, 纤维制品, [ 植 ] 须根
Task 1 Skim the passage to find: the gist The passage introduces the history of the development of _____and_______ botanists made major contributions to its development,namely_________ _______ and _______. botany three Linnaeus Daniel Banks
Karl Linnaeus Daniel Solander A student of Karl Joseph Banks A friend of Daniel the founder of botanical classification Daniel and Joseph developed the theory of Karl Linnaeus James Cook Both of them joined the expedition to Oceania led by Captain James Cook
Part 1: Linnaeus was the first to group plants to families. Part 2: Daniel traveled to promote the new system. Part 3: Banks made the first journey to study wild plants. Task 2:Structure analysis
Part 4: Banks went to record, classify and describe plant and animal life in Part 5: Banks had to supply money to the expedition. Part7: Banks returned and his voyage was a success. Part 6: Banks studied new plants and looked out for new economic species as well.
True or false questions: 1.We should classify them scientifically by grouping plants in families. 2. Carl Linnaeus is the first to do this. 3. Four scientists are mentioned. 4. James Cook made two voyages 5. It was Daniel Solander who made Kew a centre of scientific and economic research ． 6. Before Linnaeus botany was a branch of medicine ． 7. Some economic species plants such as cocoa and hemp could help to develop local economies ． T T T T
Time and events: Before 1700 __________________ 1759 _______________________ 1766 _________________________ 1768 _________________________ 1771 ______________________ 1778 ___________________________ Linnaeus developed his system Daniel traveled to promote the system Banks made a journey to study wild plants Banks made another expedition to Tahiti The Endeavor returned to England Banks was elected president of the Royal Society
the first to move crops from one continent to another on a large scale Joseph Banks To explore Africa and to settle in Australia To make Kew a center of scientific and economic research
1.Paragraph one of the text mainly tells us ___ ． A. the importance of botany B. how to classify plant species into groups C ． Linnaeus’ contribution to botany D ． Linnaeus’ discoveries about different species √
2. Joseph Banks chose a career in science because______. A. he thought that was a good way of making a living. B. He was interested in botany. C. his father had died when he was only eighteen years old D. he was very wealthy √
3.Which of the following sentences is true? A. Linnaeus’ contribution to science was quite small. B. Linnaeus’ ideas were completely new. C. Before Linnaeus there was no system to classify plants. D. Linnaeus’s system was simple and clear. √
4. The members of the Royal Society aboard the Endeavour included _____ A. Joseph Banks and James Gook B. Carl Linnaeus and Joseph Banks C. James Gook and Daniel Solande D. Daniel Solander and Joseph Banks √
5. Joseph Banks' interests lay in ____ A. astronomy and botany B. botany and medicine C. agriculture and botany D. geography and economy √
1. Why was Karl Linnaeus important to the history of botany as a science? Because his idea of grouping plants in families was unique. The identification of different species was based on the arrangement of the female and male organs in the flowers.
2. How did scientists classify plants before Linnaeus? They classified plants into trees and herds according to the shape of the fruit and whether they had flowers or not.
3. Why did Joseph Banks have to supply his own money to equip part of the expedition? Because the government would not pay for such a new field of science as botany.
4. What could be a possible explanation for the name “strawberry”? When people plant strawberry, they spread straw under the fruit to reduce the necessary amount of watering.
Write a passage about the attitude we should treat something new?