Presentation on theme: "My Solar Oven By Nathan Varnell. Objective and Hypothesis Objective and Hypothesis My objective was to see if I could cook Smores using a solar oven to."— Presentation transcript:
My Solar Oven By Nathan Varnell
Objective and Hypothesis Objective and Hypothesis My objective was to see if I could cook Smores using a solar oven to harness the Suns energy. My hypothesis was I can cook with a solar oven as long as the necessary conditions exist.
What I Used In this project the materials that I used were: a recycled pizza box, black construction paper, aluminum foil, heavy plastic laminate, non-toxic glue, tape, scissors, a ruler, a black marker, and two straws.
What I Did What I Did To make my solar oven I first measured and drew out a one-inch border on the top of the pizza box. Next, I created a flap by cutting along three of the sides that I had drawn, leaving one of them uncut. I then folded the uncut side back, and glued aluminum foil onto it.
What I Did [continued] What I Did [continued] After I put on the foil, I took the laminate and tightly sealed it onto the opening that I made, creating an oven window. Next, I lined the bottom of the pizza box with aluminum foil, then carefully placed and glued a sheet of black construction paper onto the foil.
What I Did [continued] What I Did [continued] I carefully put two Smores in the oven and placed it outside with the flap angled towards the sun.
Finishing Touches... Finally, I took two straws and used black duct tape to secure them as props to keep the oven flap open, helping to direct sunlight into the oven. I left the oven outside for about an hour or two, occasionally checking on the progress.
Conclusion - Objective: To cook Smores with a solar oven. -I did not completely achieve this. It only made the marshmallows stick to the chocolate as they both softened slightly from the heat in the oven. - Reasons it did not completely work for me: -Cooler outdoor temperatures, lack of direct sunlight, plastic laminate might have been too thick, and I might not have had the oven at the proper angle to reflect the suns rays into the oven. Also, heat may have escaped from certain parts of the oven. - Hypothesis answer: -I believe that my hypothesis could still be correct as long as the conditions needed for success existed. - The things that I would change are: -A) Conducting this experiment when there is more direct sunlight. -B) Conducting this experiment in warmer outdoor conditions. -C) Finding a thinner plastic laminate. -D) Finding a better angle towards the sun. -E) Taping up the edges of the pizza box to keep heat from escaping.