Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

F OOD FOR T HOUGHT Lincoln Street Alternative High School Birmingham Public Schools Kelley Andersen Mallory Soffin Denisse Jolokai.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "F OOD FOR T HOUGHT Lincoln Street Alternative High School Birmingham Public Schools Kelley Andersen Mallory Soffin Denisse Jolokai."— Presentation transcript:

1 F OOD FOR T HOUGHT Lincoln Street Alternative High School Birmingham Public Schools Kelley Andersen Mallory Soffin Denisse Jolokai

2 W HO A RE W E ? T HE PEOPLE IN THE BASEMENT Our School Our Students Our Community Our Class

3 W HY T HIS C LASS ? R ICH & RIGOROUS EXPERIENCE FOR OUR STUDENTS History of co-teaching Opportunity BFA Grant Increase Literacy

4 W HY F OOD ? E VERYBODY EATS Engage ALL STUDENTS Politics divide but food unites. Text Variety We teach not only what we know but who we are.

5 W HY I S I T S TUDENT C ENTERED ? I T S EMPOWERING Group work Visible thinking- explicit learning Student needs Cookbook Goal sheet Norms All writing All thinking

6 L ITERACY T O CHANGE MINDSETS School wide improvement plan Literacy not just across the curriculum, but throughout their lives Transfer skills/knowledge Common vocabulary Broad range of texts

7 C OMMON C ORE E VERYBODY IS DOING IT ? C4 Writing Initiative Previous experience Content appropriate standards for each discipline

8 T ECHNOLOGY 21 ST C ENTURY L EARNING Mindset change Google Docs Citelighter Facilitates group work Supports student assessment

9 M ENU O UR METAPHOR Overarching Question Why do we eat what we eat? Recipe for success ELASCIENCESOCIAL STUDIES Show not tell Descriptive writing Prescribed research Food borne illness Culture of food Prescribed research CARLEGS Purpose Elements Food Narrative Sensory descriptions Descriptive writing Element in all cultures ESL Meet & Greet Claims/evidence Recipes Cards Hypothesis /evidence Yeast bread Heart of the story I am From poems

10 S AMPLES A LITTLE TASTE OF WHAT WE DID Lessons: – Show not tell – Recipe Cards – Food Narratives – ESL interviews – I am From poems – Food borne illness – CARLEGS – Baking bread /hot chocolate

11 R EVIEWS T HE RESULTS ARE IN... MOSTLY Data -Starting, midpoint, endpoint Rigor Fluency Coherence Stamina Purpose

12 R ESULTS Increased by 2 points41% students Increased by 3 points41% students Increased by 4pts9% students Maintained ( Started with high scores)9% students Goal – Increase all students non-fiction reading/writing scores by 2 + points. 91% of our students increased by 2 points or more, the other 9% maintained their high score. Increased Rigor69% students Increased Stamina75%students Increased Fluency41% students Increased Coherence50% students Increased Purpose60% students *** 3 ESL Students ( ~9 % of population) –ALL increased by 2 or 3 pts.

13 D ESSERT I CING ON THE C AKE Common language Team building Leading by example Consistency ESL friends Gleaners Community involvement Chef James Documentaries Recognition

14 Q UESTIONS ? H OW WAS YOUR MEAL ? Contacts Kelley Andersen: Mallory Soffin: Denisse Jolokai:


Download ppt "F OOD FOR T HOUGHT Lincoln Street Alternative High School Birmingham Public Schools Kelley Andersen Mallory Soffin Denisse Jolokai."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google