Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

The Samuel May House Project Sponsored by the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "The Samuel May House Project Sponsored by the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc."— Presentation transcript:

1

2 The Samuel May House Project Sponsored by the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc.

3 History of the Project In 1993 a small group of civic- minded Floyd Countians established the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc. We are working to transform the house into Eastern Kentuckys premier tourist attraction. We seek to promote local history and tourism by creating a unique classroom for the preservation of our rich local heritage. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

4 Brief History of the Samuel May House Built in 1817, it is the oldest house in the Big Sandy Valley. Its builder, Samuel May, was Floyd Countys leading politician during the 1830s. It was the boyhood home of Andrew Jackson May, the regions leading Confederate officer. From 1861 to 1865 it was used as a recruiting post by the Confederate Army. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

5 Plans for interpreting the house When tourists visit the May House, they will park their cars in a lot on the hill below the house. After viewing its Historical Marker, they will go to the front door of the house, where they will be greeted by a guide in an 1830s costume. Then they will tour Samuels Parlor, Catherines Parlor, the Dining Room, the Foyer, the Public Room, and the Childrens Room. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

6 Further Interpretations Although key pieces of furniture will be displayed, the rooms will be relatively empty, allowing visitors to move freely through the house. During the tour, the guide will tell stories about the house and the people associated with it. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

7 Restoration Efforts In 1995, the City of Prestonsburg received a $400,000 grant from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for the restoration of the house. The main restoration work was completed in April, However, it did not include landscaping, wallpapering, and other key elements of the restoration plan. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

8 Current Status of the Project In the Summer of 1999, a unisex restroom and a modern kitchenette were added to the house. In addition, a ramp for disabled persons has been constructed. Plans are underway to construct a parking lot and a free- standing visitors center with restrooms. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

9 The Samuel May House Photo Archive We are in the process of creating a photo archive which will document the history of Floyd County and surrounding counties. The archive will be stored at the Samuel May House. It will be open to the public, and users of the archive will be able to copy the pictures kept in it. Instructions: Delete sample document icon and replace with working document icons as follows: Create document in Word. Return to PowerPoint. From Insert Menu, select Object… Click Create from File Locate File name in File box Make sure Display as Icon is checked. Click OK Select icon From Slide Show Menu, Select Action Settings. Click Object Action and select Edit Click OK

10 The Samuel May House Project needs your help. Make your check payable to the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc., P. O. Box 1460, Prestonsburg, Kentucky If you are service-oriented, become a Samuel May House volunteer. The Friends of the Samuel May House hold their monthly meeting every fourth Tuesday of the month at 7 pm in the May House Dining Room.


Download ppt "The Samuel May House Project Sponsored by the Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google