Presentation on theme: "The Cold War Thaws. Refresh What was the Cold War? What was containment? What was the purpose of NATO? Why was the Berlin Wall built? Why did the US get."— Presentation transcript:
Refresh What was the Cold War? What was containment? What was the purpose of NATO? Why was the Berlin Wall built? Why did the US get involved in Vietnam/Korea?
1. Stalin Dies March 1953 Names no successor… What will happen to Soviet Communism?
Tweet #Stalin: You are one of the thousands of Soviet citizens gathered to mourn Stalin’s death. In 140 characters or less, describe what you are thinking when your leader dies. Remember, he had been in charge for over 30 years! What are you worried about? What are you hoping for in a new leader? Do you miss Stalin? You have three minutes…GO
2. Krushchev and Destalinization Krushchev takes over in 1956 Begins “destalinization” policy – Purging the country of Stalin’s memory Wants peaceful competition with capitalist states BUT this doesn’t mean life changes in Soviet satellite countries – (Revolts in satellite countries)
Two things Thing 1: List one reason why Khrushchev wanted to purge the country of Stalin’s memory Thing 2: Think of one change you think will occur because of destalinization
3. Soviet- Chinese Split China and USSR signed 30 year treaty of friendship in 1950 – Both were communist BUT the Soviet Union thought the Chinese would follow their leadership… – the Chinese hated that! – This led to… Led to fighting along their border
Acrostic Using the letters in the word “split”, write an acrostic poem describing the decline in the Soviet-Chinese relationship. S- P- L- I- T-
4. Cuban Missile Crisis Khrushchev decides to build missile sites in Cuba and JFK finds out JFK demands that they be removed – Creates a blockade of Cuba Cold War becomes very hot – Almost a full on nuclear war! Luckily, Khrushchev backs down at the last possible second – …Whew!
Think about which side you would have supported and make your own protest sign!
5. Brezhnev’s Harsh Policies Brezhnev takes over after Khrushchev loses popularity Limits freedom of speech and worship Censorship and secret police Brezhnev Doctrine- the Soviet Union can prevent its satellite countries from rejecting communism – Aka: make sure they don’t get rid of communism
Similarities Think back to Stalin. Write three quick ways that Stalin and Brezhnev were similar. 1. 2. 3.
6. Brinkmanship to Détente What was brinkmanship? – Very aggressive…if you even threaten to go to war with me, I will attack you Because of Vietnam war, the US needed a timeout Détente - a cooling of tensions This does NOT mean they stop fighting communism – The two sides just agree to reduce the tension
7. SALT Nixon visits USSR in 1972 Strategic Arms Limitation Talks US and USSR sign 5 year agreement to limit the number of “intercontinental ballistic and submarine launched missiles” – Aka: Nuclear missiles SALT I Treaty
Write a quick response to each question about the SALT talks and the treaty that followed WHO? WHEN? WHERE? WHY?
8. Gorbachev’s reforms Gorbachev – took office in 1931 Glasnost- “openness” – Needed a free flow of ideas – Churches opened, dissidents released from prisoners, reporters could criticize Perestroika- “economic restructuring” – Revive economy – Small businesses allowed to open – managers given more control over farms and factories
Make a Prediction After years of being unable to criticize policies and government officials and struggling with the inefficient economy, the USSR now has freedom of speech and economic reform, thanks to glasnost and perestroika. Discuss with a partner about what you think is going to happen next…
9. Fall of the Berlin Wall Cause: East Germans were furious that their government had completely closed the borders…no one could get out! So how would you react if you were an East German? – PROTEST!!! Finally, on November 9, 1989, the new East German leader opened the Berlin Wall
GRAFFITI If you had put graffiti on the Berlin Wall, what picture or phrase would you have drawn? Keep it appropriate!!!
10. Collapse of the Soviet Union Gorbachev resigns after a failed coup and the party votes to stop all activity December 1991, all satellite nations had declared independence Boris Yeltsin became Head of State – Russian Soviet Federated Soviet Republic CIS - Commonwealth of Independent States – loose federation of former Soviet territories Marks the death of the Soviet Union
Your Opinion In your opinion – what do you think really made the Soviet Union fall? Bad leadership? Bad ideas? Explain in 2+ sentences.