Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Lesson Two: Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Use

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Lesson Two: Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Use"— Presentation transcript:

1 Lesson Two: Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Use

2 Alcohol and the Body Alcohol is a very fast acting drug.
It is quickly absorbed by the bloodstream and reaches the brain with 30 seconds of being consumed. Alcohol absorption can be delayed if the person who drinks has had a heavy meal.

3 Slows Reactions Once alcohol reaches the brain, it slows reaction time. Reaction Time- the ability of the body to respond quickly and appropriately to situations. This is what makes drinking and driving so deadly. People with slowed reaction time cannot respond quickly enough to dangers on the road.

4 Intoxication It is the job of the liver to break down alcohol once it enters the bloodstream. The liver acts as a giant filter for your body. The liver breaks down approximately 95% of all alcohol consumed. The remaining 5% passes out of the body through sweat, urine and breath.

5 Intoxication (cont…) Your body and liver can filter out about one drink per hour. If a person drinks more than the body can handle, the person becomes intoxicated. Intoxicated- A person’s mental and physical abilities have been impaired by alcohol. Hangovers and Blackouts

6 How Alcohol Affects the Individual
Gender and body size Females and smaller people are affected more quickly than males and larger people. Other drugs Alcohol mixed with other drugs or medicines can be deadly. Alcohol can make the effects of the other drugs stronger. Food Food in the stomach slows down alcohol absorption.

7 B.A.C. If a person continues to drink, their BAC will continue to rise. BAC is a measure of the amount of alcohol present in a person’s blood. BAC is expressed as a percent of the total amount of blood in the body.

8 B.A.C. %s A BAC of .02 is enough to make most people feel light headed or “buzzed.” A BAC of .08 is enough to make it dangerous for a person to drive a car. If a person has a BAC of .08 percent, he/she is considered legally intoxicated. .08 = 8% of your blood is alcohol.



11 Which has a higher alcohol content?
Beer, Wine or liquor?

12 Alcohol Poisoning People who are heavily intoxicated are at a risk of alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is a dangerous condition that results when a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol over a short period of time. And as with any drug overdose, alcohol poisoning can kill you.

13 Alcohol Use and Violence
Those who drink are more likely to fight or behave violently. This is because alcohol makes many people aggressive. 2/3rds of all domestic violence cases are related to alcohol abuse. Violence also increases at sporting events where alcohol is served.

14 Family Police Friends

15 Alcohol and Nutrition Alcohol affects the body’s ability to use nutrients. Long-term use can lead to malnutrition. Malnutrition- a condition in which the body doesn’t get the nutrients it needs to grow and function properly. Alcohol has very little nutritional value and provides calories, which can lead to weight gain.

Download ppt "Lesson Two: Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Use"

Similar presentations

Ads by Google