Presentation on theme: "Reading Is Fundamental, Inc. (RIF), founded in 1966, works to build a literate nation by helping young people discover the joy of reading. RIF exists to:"— Presentation transcript:
Reading Is Fundamental, Inc. (RIF), founded in 1966, works to build a literate nation by helping young people discover the joy of reading. RIF exists to: Show children that reading is fun. Provide free books for children to choose and keep. Help communities get involved with children's literacy.
RIF is the oldest and largest children's and family nonprofit literacy organization in the U.S. RIF: Operates through a national, grassroots network of volunteers. Holds service to the nation’s underserved children and families as its highest priority. Develops and delivers literacy programs and campaigns that motivate youth to read regularly.
RIF Statistics Each year RIF: Serves 5.1 million children. Encompasses 450,000 community volunteers. Supports 25,000 RIF program sites. Distributes 16.5 million new, free books and other essential literacy resources.
RIF’s Reach 62% of RIF programs are in public elementary and middle schools. 31% of RIF programs are in community centers, libraries and Head Start centers. One in every 25 children’s books sold in the United States in 2002 was given to a child through Reading Is Fundamental.
National Book Program The oldest and largest of RIF's programs, the National Book Program, is largely funded from a grant by the federal government. Funds go directly to local RIF programs for new books. Children have the opportunity to choose and keep three to five books per year. Each program receives an annual grant to cover 75% of the cost of books. Programs are required to raise the remaining 25% locally, to "match" the grant. All programs are managed and administered by volunteers. Eligible programs must serve 100 or more children. At least 80% of children in the program must be considered “at risk.” Programs run in libraries, schools, child-care centers, Head Start programs, migrant labor camps, Boys & Girls Clubs and domestic shelters.
Special Literacy Programs Shared Beginnings: This niche program teaches teen parents the skills and self-confidence to take an active role in developing their young children’s readiness to read by offering: Free books to both the teen parents and their babies. Motivational activities and guidance for establishing a literacy-rich environment at home. Family of Readers: This program helps parents take a lead role in encouraging their children's literacy development by: Distributing free books to children. Engaging children in motivational literacy activities designed and conducted by their parents. Offering grants for high-quality lending libraries available to the parents and children who participate. Also, many of the parents are enrolled in parenting classes or are continuing their own education in Adult Basic Education (ABE), GED, or English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.
Kappas can share their time, talent and treasure with RIF in several ways: Volunteer: Read aloud, help distribute books or plan motivational activities. Advocate: Voice your support of RIF and children’s literacy issues to your elected officials. Donate: Oversee contributions or fund- raising events.
One-Time Events Community Reading Challenge Read Across America Book drive to build or enhance a “classroom” library for a local RIF site, community center, school or child care center On-Going Relationships Book buddy program Partner with a local RIF program (book selection, book distribution, motivational activities) Sponsor a local RIF program (funds and people-power) Volunteer
Advocate “Season’s Readings” Reading Is FUN Week Summer reading
Donate Tea 5K road race Penny drive Oversee contributions Just $5.00 will purchase three quality books for one RIF child during the course of a year.