We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byMichael Rhodes
Modified over 3 years ago
1. Can You Decipher Orwells Allegory? In George Orwells book Animal Farm, the characters, places, and events are symbolic of events in Russian history. Can you decipher Orwells Allegorical Tale? You will research actual events and attempt to draw parallels between reality and fiction. These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved. Picture: www.graphicsbydezign.com/ clipartarchive.htm Copyright ByDezign - 1999/2004 Allegory: A symbolic representation: The blindfolded figure with scales is an allegory of justice.
2. Reading Reminiscing These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved.. Napoleon. Snowball. The Farmhouse. The Windmill. Squealer. The Sheep. The Pigeons. Rasputin. Sugarcandy Mountain. Farmer Jones. Animalism. Beasts of England. Boxer. Benjamin. Molly. Muriel ð Frederick and Pilkington What is important, memorable, or significant about each character, place, or event listed to the right? Before we begin searching the Internet, Id like you to describe characters, places and events in Animal Farm. You will use these descriptions later when you attempt to match fact with fiction. HEY! Who took all the milk and apples!?
3. Web Hunt The following sites are Key to deciphering Orwells Allegory. Visit each and attempt to draw connections between fact and fiction. Historical Backdrop Notes Czar Nicholas Karl Marx Communism Stalin Trotsky Propaganda Internationale Rasputin Proletariats KGB Industrial Revolution These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved. Ill never give up control! Never. Ill rule with an iron fist. Ill make a deal with him….as long as it fits my plans. But I dont trust him! Image taken from: Animal Farm.Dir. John Stephenson.1999.Videocassette.Hallmark Home Entertainment,October 2005.
4. Poster Synergy Now that you have recorded what made certain characters, places, and events memorable AND now that you have explored the Internet on various topics from Russian History, it is time to draw parallels between Russian Historical Fact and the Fictitious World of Orwells of Animal Farm. You will create a Poster Comparing and Contrasting at least five of the characters, places, or events listed from Animal Farm and draw parallels to the information you found on the Internet regarding Russian History. These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved.. Use a Venn Diagram! Poster requirements: 11X17 paper Size 20 text font 5 intense Venn diagrams C&C fact with fiction 10 pictures
5. Enrichment Animal Farm addresses the issue of Leadership. For Enrichment, visit any KHS club and write down observations about its leaders and its members. KHS CLUBS LEADERS These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved.
6. Teacher Resources & Goals http://www.geocities.com/vanderkernj/animal/animal_farm_unit.html These materials are © 2005 Jeremy VanDerKern, Keene High School, all rights reserved. Allegorical Animal Chart GOALS The Mission Statement of Keene High School is to provide each student with the tools to succeed in a diverse and interdependent world Academic 1) Graduates read critically 2) Graduates comprehend at or above grade level 3) Graduates read for a variety of purposes 8) Graduates can find and use information This course is based upon New Hampshires K-12 Language Arts Curriculum Framework--which can be viewed at: http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/organization/curriculum/NECAP/HS_NECAP.htm http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/doe/organization/curriculum/NECAP/HS_NECAP.htm
“All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.” Animal Farm by George Orwell.
Animal Farm and the Russian Revolution D. Maldonado.
FARMER JONES CZAR NICHOLAS OLD MAJOR KARL MARX/LENIN.
Animal Farm The Allegory Chapter 1. symbolic work: a work in which the characters and events are to be understood as representing other things and symbolically.
Animal Farm by George Orwell A Comparison of Characters to the Russian Revolution.
Jeopardy Vocabulary CharactersHistory Symbolism Q $100 Q $200 Q $300 Q $400 Q $500 Q $100 Q $200 Q $300 Q $400 Q $500 Final Jeopardy.
REVIEW Animal Farm Unit Test. Communism Define the following terms: a) Communism: b) Totalitarianism: c) Marxism:
Allegory A story in which the characters and events are symbols that stand for ideas about human life or for a political or historical situation. While.
Characters Dates Russian Revolution Definitions $100 $200 $300 $400 $500 $100 $200 $300 $400 $500 $100 $200 $300 $400 $500 $100 $200 $300 $400 $500.
THIS IS With Host... Your CharactersCommand ments Major Events Literary Elements Symbols/ History Wild Card.
Symbolic Connections –Background –Allegory –Symbolism of Characters Animal Farm presents a terrifying picture of a world without personal freedom The.
Narration in Animal Farm By Mr. Keough Ps. Your Welcome.
Warm Up #11 What question would you like to ask George Orwell about Animal Farm and why?
Animal Farm Background Information. Overview George Orwell’s 1945 novella, Animal Farm, is the story of an animal revolution. The animal residents of.
INTRODUCTION: ANIMAL FARM. AT A GLANCE Written by: George Orwell Type of Work: novel Genres: political satire; allegory First Published: August.
Pre-reading Background Information A NIMAL F ARM BY G EORGE O RWELL.
Animal Farm by George Orwell Allegorical Symbolism Behind Supporting Characters.
Animal Farm by George Orwell Russian Revolution, Part 2: Allegorical Symbolism Behind Supporting Characters and Other Elements of the Novel.
Animal Farm Book Talk By Spongebob Squarepants Mrs. Thilken, Block 1 February 7, 2013.
Background Information. Real name was Eric Blair Lived June – January (46 years old). Born in Bengal, India to British Colonists.
Animal Farm by George Orwell A story of power, corruption, and greed.
Animal Farm Introduction into the symbolism of Animal Farm Nathan B. Gilson Southwest Middle School.
Animal Farm Historical Parallels to the Russian Revolution.
Animal Farm George Orwell. Vocabulary for Animal Farm Due Jan. 7Test Jan. 8 Ensconced Preeminent Obstinate Cryptic Indefatigable Irrepressible.
ANIMAL FARM CHARACTERS IN THE NOVELLA ANIMAL FARM.
Animal Farm Intensive Reading High School Ms. Coro.
GEORGE ORWELL – ANIMAL FARM Part 1 – The Life of George Orwell Part 3 – Animal Farm Part 2 – A Short History of Russia Part 1 Students read about the life.
Animal Farm George Orwell. George Orwell Author of Animal Farm Real Name – Eric Blair Born 1903 in India (British Citizen) Wrote Animal Farm in.
George Orwell, The Russian Revolution, and Animal Farm. Take Notes…You’ll Need Them!
Animal Farm Jeopardy CharactersPlotQuotesQuotes 2Misc. $100 $200 $300 $400 $500 $100 $200 $300 $400 $500 Final Jeopardy.
Russian Leader Mr. Jones A tyrant leader Uneducated Treats the animals on his farm poorly Czar Nicholas Poor leader Abusive and cruel Bloody Sunday.
George Orwell Bio Born Eric Blair (1903) in Motihari, Bengal, in the then British colony of India. He was one of the poorer English boys at his upper-class.
George Orwell Vocabulary Types of Propaganda.
Animal Farm by George Orwell. George Orwell = Pen Name…born Eric Blair, Idealist…gave up family wealth to be a journalist. Supported revolution.
ANIMAL FARM By George Orwell George Orwell Born Eric Arthur Blair in Motihari, India in 1903 Died in London in 1950 Other works: 1984, Burmese Days.
Animal Farm Allegory and Historical References. What is an Allegory? From the Greek word “Allegorein” which means to speak as if to imply something else.
Comparison of allegorical characters of Animal Farm to participants of the Russian Revolution.
Animal Farm By George Orwell “All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.” Allegory - Satire - Fable.
Group Members : Marcus Zafirah Zhi Xian Nordiana Connections between animal farm and Russian revolution.
Animal Farm Notes. Internal Conflicts in Animal Farm There is a lack of internal conflict among animals whose doubts and disillusions are so easily smoothed.
Animal Farm By George Orwell. Background Information Animal Farm is an allegorical fable in which animals attempt to create a revolutionary utopia.
George Orwell’s Animal Farm Russian Revolution Elements of Plot Literary Elements Characterization
Dystopia is a world in which everything is imperfect and everything goes terribly wrong. Dystopian literature shows us a nightmarish image about what.
WEEK 27 INTRO TO ANIMAL FARM World Literature. Do Now: Monday, March 9 th 2015 Welcome to a 5-Day Week! At a Level 0: On your Animal Farm Pre-Reading.
The Connection Between the Russian Revolution And Animal Farm By: Quintin Woodbury January 25, 2008.
Animal Farm A Study In Parallels. The Characters Animal Farm Mr. Jones Irresponsible to the animals (lets them starve) Cruel--beats animals with a whip.
THIS IS With Host... Your Characters Russian Revolution Parallels PropagandaPlot I Plot II Who said it?
Reading Quiz: NO notes 1.What kind of animal is Boxer? 2.What kind of animal is Moses? 3.What phrase do the sheep constantly say throughout the novel?
ALLEGORY Comparing Animal Farm to The Russian Revolution Mr. Renfro McNeil High School.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.