Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byDeborah Hicks Modified over 7 years ago
Twenty Questions Subject: Questioning!
~Twenty Questions~ where YOU write the questions!! To Play: I will show you a reading scenario. You will need to come up with as many questions as you can!! Remember to use question words like “who, what, where, when, does, can, why, I wonder…, and more!” Points will be awarded for each unique question!! And remember- HAVE FUN!!!
~Twenty Questions~ where YOU write the questions!! 12345 678910 1112131415 1617181920
1. I just got ready to read a book about wild animals. What questions could I be thinking BEFORE I read? What do I know in my schema about wild animals? What genre is this book? Why did the author write this book?
2. I just came to a word I can’t sound out. Do I need to slow down and reread? Do other words in the text give me clues to an unknown word? Does it sound right? Does it look right? Does it make sense? Are there any chunks or blends that I can read? What clues are the pictures telling me?
3. I just came to a word that I can sound out, but I don’t know what it means. What do I infer it means? What do I know about this kind of text? What is the author trying to tell me? If I can’t infer, how can I find out the definition?
4. I checked out a book about second grade. What questions can I make about this text while I am reading? Where is their classroom? What will the class be learning about? Why did the author write this book? How can I connect with this book? When do they learn about math? Do they have a nice teacher? Who are the characters?
5. I came across the word “immaculate” in my reading. I am not sure what it means!! What do I infer it means? If I can’t infer, how can I find out the definition? What is the author trying to tell me? What word substitute makes sense?
6. I started reading a book about dragons. What questions can I ask before I start reading? What genre is this book? What do I already know in my schema about dragons? Why did the author write this book?
7. I just read this sentence- “ The bark was coming off the trees.” I am trying to figure out what bark means. What definition of “bark” makes sense? Does a dog’s bark make sense? What clues are in the sentence? What do I have in my schema about bark?
8.I just finished a book about Martin Luther King. What did I add to my schema? Who do I know that would love to read this book? Why did the author write this book? How did this book make me feel? Would I want to read another book about the same topic?
9. I just read that Junie B Jones is staying home from school. Why is Junie B Jones staying home? Is she sick? Does she like school? How does her mom feel about her staying home? When will she go back to school?
10. I just read that the Grinch is about to steal Halloween from the Who’s in Who-ville. Why is the Grinch stealing another holiday? Is this a sequel to the Grinch that stole Christmas? How do the Who’s feel about this? What does he use to get down from mount crumpet? Will the grinch ever learn his lesson?
11. I just read that Charlie is going to open a healthy snack factory. Why does he want to be healthy now? Will he keep his old chocolate factory? What does Grandpa Joe think? When will he open the factory? What rooms will be inside? Will the oompa loompa’s work in that factory?
12. I just read the word “plaque.” Do I know what plaque means? What do I infer it means? What do I know in my schema about plaque? What predictions can I make about this text?
13. I just read on the lunch menu that we are going to have peanut butter soup for lunch today. What is peanut butter soup? Does it taste good? What do I know about peanut butter? What do I know about soup? Will this be healthy?
14. You just read on the board that there are no analogies this morning. Why is there no analogies? Are we doing something fun instead? Are we going somewhere? When will we do analogies again?
15. Mrs. Alsup just read the title of the next chapter book- Nate the Great and the Missing Mechanical Pencil What will happen in this book? Where is the missing pencil? How will he solve this mystery? Will Rosamond be in this book too? What do I already know in my schema about Nate the Great books?
16. Mrs. Toponce said that the author of the chapter book you are about to start is Roald Dahl. What do I already know about this author? Will this be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? What other books have I read from this author? What is this author’s purpose in other books?
17. You just read the title of your book- Jellyfish and other Sea Creatures. What genre does this sound like? What predictions can I make about this text? What do I have in my schema about jellyfish? What do I have in my schema about sea creatures? Have I read other books about jellyfish?
18. Mason wrote “I love to play because it is cool.” What does Mason like to play? How does playing make Mason feel? Can I paint a picture in my mind of this sentence? Is there better words I could use?
19. I read in the newspaper that there was an earthquake. Where was the earthquake? Did it cause any damage? What do I know in my schema about earthquakes? How do I feel about earthquakes? Is there anything I can do to help?
20. I just finished reading Charlotte’s Web. What was this story mostly about? How did this book make me feel? Why did the author write this book? Who would I recommend this book? What was the main idea of the story? When did this story take place?
~Twenty Questions~ where YOU write the questions!!
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.