* Open up the app that you took your Poetry Term notes. * We are going to add to more terms today!
* The attitude that a writer takes toward the audience, subject, or character. * It is conveyed through the word choice and details that they choose to write about. * It can be playful and light or serious and dark. * Has anyone ever said, “ Don ’ t use that tone of voice with me! ” What did they mean?
* The overall emotion created by a story or poem. * Adjectives can be used to describe the mood. Sad, scary, hopeful, etc. * The mood has a lingering effect. * Think about the mood of a poem as if you are walking into a room, how does the environment in that room make you feel? How does the “ environment ” of the poem make you (the reader) feel?
* Original version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWf9fP-A-U What is the tone of this movie trailer? What is the mood of this movie trailer? * New cut version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic What is the tone now? What is the mood? What different things happened to change the tone and mood?
* Think about what we have read so far this year. * What is the tone of The Maze Runner? * What is the mood of The Maze Runner? * What is the tone of “Annabel Lee”? * What is the mood of “Annabel Lee”? * What is the tone of “The Highwayman”? * What is the mood of “The Highwayman”?
* In the following poems, identify the TONE and the MOOD. * Write down: * Poem Title * Tone (and what it is) * Mood (and what it is)
Dear Mom, You said you'd always be there But you're nowhere to be found I can't believe you left me I feel so low beneath the ground There's nothing I can do now I trusted you with all my heart But now you're gone You're the one who tore my life apart I've learned not to trust There's nothing more to say You've lost someone special You can't get back each day Now you're the one left in the dark And all of a sudden you feel my pain You expect me to take you back But you still feel you're not to blame I could never forgive you Even if I tried You can never make up For the lonely nights I've cried You will never know the feeling Of losing the person you need the most To laugh and cry and love you Instead of making you feel like a ghost I've moved on with my life Without you by my side My pain has kept so long I'm telling you how I feel inside In a way I want to thank you Because of you I'm strong I just wanted you to know I didn't turn out wrong www.FamilyFriendPoems.com
When I was only two years old, My daddy went away. He swore he'd always love me, But he said he couldn't stay. Days turned into weeks And weeks turned into years. I never saw my father, He never saw my tears. He never read me bedtime stories Or tucked me in at night. He never showed up for my birthdays, But I always hoped he might. He missed my first day of kindergarten And all of my school plays. He doesn't know how smart I am, My report cards full of A's. Sometimes I want to call him To say Hey Dad I'm still alive! I'll be 16 years old soon, Will you teach me how to drive? It’s almost time for college, The years go by so fast. I'm looking forward to my future, But I'm still trapped within my past. I guess I'll never understand, Did I do something bad? My parents got divorced, But why did I lose my dad? * www.FamilyFriendPoems.com www.FamilyFriendPoems.com
And he lets out a roar If you open the door. And it gives me a scare To know he's in there— That polary bear In our Fridgitydaire.