Presentation on theme: "THE DIFFERENT BRANCHES OF EARTH/SPACE SCIENCE"— Presentation transcript:
1 THE DIFFERENT BRANCHES OF EARTH/SPACE SCIENCE Astronomy- the study of objects beyond Earth’s atmosphere. Examples: Universe, stars, planets, galaxiesMeteorology- the study of the air that surrounds Earth. Examples: Tornadoes, hurricanes, clouds, droughts, jet streamGeology- the study of the materials that make up Earth and the processes that form and change those materials. Examples: Rocks, Gemstones, Fossils, Plate Tectonics, Mountains, EarthquakesOceanography-the study of Earth’s oceans. Examples: ocean currents, hurricanes, sea life
2 Earth's Different Systems Earth has many different systems. They all interact with each other to create the unique planet we live on.Lithosphere- Earth’s crust and upper mantle (all the rocky part we see). There are two types…continental crust which is made up of granite and oceanic crust which is made up of basalt. The lithosphere slowly floats along on a putty-like layer called the asthenosphere. Beneath the asthenosphere is the mantle, the outer core (liquid) and the inner core (solid). The core is made up of the elements nickel and iron.Hydrosphere- all of the water on Earth…such as in rivers, lakes, glaciers, oceans and the atmosphere. 97% of all water on Earth is salt water. The remaining 3% is found mainly in glaciers, and also rivers, lakes and underground.
3 Earth's Different Systems Cont. Atmosphere- the blanket of gases that surrounds us. The atmosphere allows us to breathe, protects us from the sun and keeps our planet at a livable temperature. It is 78% Nitrogen, and 21% Oxygen.Biosphere- all living things on Earth, and the environments they live in.
4 TechnologyTechnology is the application of science. It means taking scientific discoveries and data and using it to better our lives somehow. Can you think of different types of technology that you use?