Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byWarren Green Modified over 7 years ago
Community Partnerships: Forsyth County Public Schools & Literacy Forsyth Kathy Jolly, Forsyth County Schools and Annaliza Thomas, Literacy Forsyth March 2013
Overview Introduction of Literacy Forsyth & Forsyth County School System (FCSS) Why partner with FCCS? How does our CLCP partner with these programs? Results Q&A
Literacy Forsyth CLCP since 2010 Partners with Lanier Technical College in Forsyth County Provides tutoring and classes for basic literacy, ESOl, GED test prep and U.S. Citizenship test prep Target demographic: over 16,000 county residents
Literacy Forsyth 1 employee 30 hours per week 45 Volunteers (including Board Members) Provide Lanier Tech with approximately $55,000 of support which goes to: GED & ESOL teacher salaries Instruction Materials Scholarships Jail Instruction Materials Graduation Costs
Forsyth County Schools Enrollment – 38, 969 Students Elementary Schools – 20 (18,869 students) Middle Schools – 9 (9,427) High Schools – 5 (10,416) Alterative Schools – 4 (257)
Economically Disadvantaged Free Lunch – 6,956 or 17.17% of total enrollment Reduced Lunch – 1,633 or 4.03% of total enrollment Total Eligible – 8,589 or 21.20 % of total enrollment
Forsyth County Schools Demographics Race/Ethnicity/Gender% 2013 Hispanic12.32% Asian8.87% Black (Non-Hispanic)2.75% American Indian/Alaskan0.42% Multiracial2.52% Pacific Islander0.06% White (Non-Hispanic)73.06% Female48.26% Male51.74%
Federal Programs Title I Schools: Chestatee Elementary, Cumming Elementary, Midway Elementary, Otwell Middle, & Little Mill Middle Title III/ESOL – 1,520 English Learners Migrant – 34 students McKinney-Vento Homeless - 503
Examples of Our Programs GED outreach to Migrant Out of School Youth and Drop Outs Migrant Parent Advisory Council Meetings and Ongoing Recruitment for Adult GED and ESL Programs Federal Programs Advisory Council Meetings Summer Intervention Programs: KinderCamp & Accelerate Language Camp Literacy Services Offered On-Site at Select Title I Schools Support for School-Readiness and Family Literacy at the Transition Services Office
How does Literacy Forsyth partner with these programs?
Parent Outreach Attend any and all meetings in which parents will be attending. Present CLCP services to parents Recruit potential students Recruit volunteers Connect parents to resources in the community Increase visibility
How we work together FCSCLCP ScholarshipsInstructorsMaterialsChildcareTransportation
Provide Services to Parents: ABE Classes
Provide Services to Parents: Community Speakers
Provide Services to Parents U.S. Citizenship classes
Provide Services to Parents GED Scholarships
Extend services to k-12 student population in programs Summer learning opportunities: Digital storytelling camp
Extend services to k-12 student population in programs Provide materials
Extend services to k-12 student population in programs Mobile Family Literacy Unit
Results Increase in ABE students Increase in exposure to community Increase in fundraising and support Increase in stakeholder support and input
Thank You! Annaliza Thomas Literacy Forsyth firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.