Presentation on theme: "1. The Promised Son Matthew 1:1-6, 17 p. 889 Christmas Advent [“coming”] – four weeks before Christmas Widely celebrated: True meaning has been."— Presentation transcript:
Christmas Advent [“coming”] – four weeks before Christmas Widely celebrated: True meaning has been replaced. E.B.White: “to perceive Christmas through its wrappings becomes more difficult with every year.” Christmas is a sacred event – Pope Benedict XVI.
1. Promised Son Abraham: start of a specific salvation plan. (Gen 12:3) Moses: promised another great prophet (Deut 18:18) Promise to Abraham carried through younger sons: Isaac – younger than Ishmael. Jacob – younger than Esau. Judah – younger than Reuben.
1. Promised Son... The work of God. Not following normal human traditions Comes through the lesser and weaker. Other details were a bit confusing: Great king (Isa 9:6-7) Suffering servant (Isa 53:4-5)
1. Promised Son... One thing was clear: For all nations (Isa 49:6)
2. Son of David The promised descendant of King David (2 Sam 7:12) God chose someone and identified him...... so that he could be recognized!
2. Son of David... Other details: Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2) Preceded by 2 nd Elijah (Mal 4:5, Matt 11:13-14) Ministry would start in Galilee (Isa 9:1-2) God intended that he would be recognized!
3. Son of the Nations Four women in the genealogy: Tamar (Canaanite / Aramean) Gen 38 Rahab (Canaanite / Jericho) Josh 2 Ruth (Moabite) Ruth 1-4 [cf. Deut 23:3-4] Uriah’s wife (Bathsheba: Hittite?) 2 Sam 11 Mother of SolomonMother of Solomon
Living it Aztec’s – God’s fed by human blood Human sacrifice practiced in many human cultures Payments for favourable interventions but the gods Assumption: God’s need to be kept on side.
Living it Christmas is a very different story: God reaches out to us because of love. A God who offers himself in sacrifice.