Presentation on theme: "THIS PPT WAS MADE BY THE PUPILS OF 6 TH GRADE OF PAMFILA PRIMARY SCHOOL, LESVOS."— Presentation transcript:
THIS PPT WAS MADE BY THE PUPILS OF 6 TH GRADE OF PAMFILA PRIMARY SCHOOL, LESVOS
1) NAME OF THE COUNTRY AND BORDERS The official name of our country is “HELLAS” but most of the countries call us “GREECE”. It is bordering Bulgaria, F.Y.R.O.M. and Albania on the north and Turkey on the east. It is in the south east of Europe in the Balkan Peninsula. Its capital city is ATHENS (the birthplace of Democracy).
2) LANDSCAPE 80% of Hellas is mountainous with big mountain ranges. The highest mountain is Olympus. It also has more than 2000 big and small islands. There are green plains and hills. There are also rivers and lakes.
3) WEATHER The climate in Greece is Mediterranean. The weather in winter is cold and very wet. It often rains and it snows only in the mountains. In summer it is very warm and dry and we go swimming in the sea every day.
4) LANDMARKS The most famous landmarks in Hellas are the PARTHENON in Athens, the oracle of the DELPHI, the ancient theatre of EPIDAURUS and ancient OLYMPIA where the 1 st Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C. Many tourists (16.5 million) come to visit the archaeological museums (the most museums than any other country in the world) and admire the ancient monuments every year.
5) PEOPLE Most of the 11 million people in Hellas (98%) are Greeks (Hellenes). About 12 million people around the world speak Greek. But some people in our country are immigrants and refugees coming from different countries because they have war in their countries or because they have money problems and come to find a job. Also these people can’t speak the language very well.
6) PRODUCTS Greece is a beautiful country with many products, such as marble (about 7% of all the marble in the world comes from Greece), leather, jewellery and handicrafts (woodwork, embroidery and pottery). Some are produced on Lesvos. The main products of Lesvos are olive oil, olives, wine, ouzo (alcoholic drink), cheese (feta), honey, fishes, salt and soap.
7) LESVOS, OUR ISLAND Our island, Lesvos, is the 3 rd biggest island in Hellas. It is in the North Aegean Sea with about 300 days of sunshine. Its capital city is Mytilene. There is a unique natural monument, the Petrified Forest. These are stone trees made from volcanic lava about 20 million years ago.
8) OUR OPINION Our country is very beautiful and one of the sunniest with over 250 sunny days each year. The people are good, friendly and hospitable.You are welcome to come and visit us!