New Horizon College English Unit 1, Book 1 新视野大学英语① Self-Checking 渤海大学外语教研部 史梅
Contents I. Pre-tasks Finish all exercises on your textbooks. II. During-tasks New Words Dictation New Words Dictation Matching Game Matching Game Decide Your Choice Decide Your Choice Check Yourself Check Yourself Listening Quiz Listening Quiz Key to exercises on P9. Key to exercises on P9. Fun time Fun time III. Post-tasks Review what we have learnt in Unit 1.
reward frustrate junior positive senior former unlike intimidate opportunity online communication medium phone modem access technology participate virtual commitment discipline minimum assignment notebook embarrass screen continual continually finally reap benefit insight culture communicate favorite activity gap Phrases and Expressions be well worth sth./doing sth. not only…but also… far from a couple of get access to keep up with feel like sth./doing sth give up reap the benefits of come across trade…for participate in now that reach out to Back New Words Dictation
II. Matching Game (A) __ medium __ screen __ gap __ virtual __ modem a. the flat part of a computer b. one of the necessities for getting online c. a way of giving information d. a space between two objects e. being produced by the computer but almost true to the reality a c d e b
a. effective, helpful b. a good chance c. give in return d. exchange ideas e. take part in f. the smallest g. right of reaching h. self-control ___ communicate ___participate in ___positive ___opportunity ___reward ___minimum ___access ___discipline a h g f e d c b
a. a physical object that keeps two areas, people apart b. conditions in which people live c. a group of people living together d. perfect, what you like best e. complete f. come into being, happen __ environment __community __barrier __ideal __absolute __arise b c a d e f Matching Game (B)
III. Decide Your Choice expose to 1. The more you expose yourself to new words, the more words you’ll learn by seeing how they’re used. A. put yourself in contact with B. show yourself up to C. reveal yourself to
1. His attitude to work mainly depends on ______ from the work. A. the offer B. the award C. the reward D. the reflection 2. The two friends haven’t ________ with each other. A. communicated B. wrote C. associated D. heard IV. Check Yourself
V. Keys to Exercises on Page 7-11 Comprehension Ex. II, p. 7 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. II, p. 7 Vocabulary Ex. III, p. 7 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. III, p. 7 Structure Ex. IV, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. IV, p. 8 Ex. V, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. V, p. 8 Ex. VI, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. VI, p. 8 Ex. VII, p.9 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. VII, p.9 Translation
1.What made the author’s English learning in junior middle school very successful? The kind and patient teacher and her positive method of praising all students often. V. Exercises--Comprehension Ex. II, p. 7 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. II, p. 7 Answer the following questions. 上一页下一页 Back
1. John was going to ___ Mary by telling his friends how much weight she had gained. embarrass Ex. III, p. 7 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. III, p. 7 positivefrustrate intimidate access commitment minimumdiscipline embarrass reap insightparticipateassignment Fill in the blanks with the words given below. Change the form where necessary. V. Exercises--Vocabulary 上一页下一页 Back
2. _____ is essential to a successful scientist; he cannot hope to make any progress if he cannot work in a controlled way. Discipline positivefrustrate intimidate access commitment minimumdiscipline embarrass reap insightparticipateassignment V. Exercises--Vocabulary 上一页下一页 Back
1. The attempts to intimidate people ___ accepting the unreasonable decision did not work. Ex. IV, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. IV, p. 8 into 2. I hope that this talk has given you some insight ___ the kind of work that we’ve been doing. into Fill in each of the blanks in the following sentences with a suitable preposition or adverb. V. Exercises--Vocabulary 上一页下一页 Back
1. When we climbed to the top of the tower, we saw a beautiful sight. Ex. V, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. V, p. 8 Climbing to the top of the tower, we saw a beautiful sight. Rewrite the following sentences using a present participle phrase. V. Exercises--Structure 上一页下一页 Back
1. He not only easily accepts other people’s opinions, but he is also patient. Not only does he easily accept other people’s opinions, but he is also patient. Rewrite the following sentences by using inverted ( 倒装 ) order. Ex. VI, p. 8 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. VI, p. 8 V. Exercises--Structure 上一页下一页 Back
V. Exercises--Translation 1. 与以英语为母语的人交谈是非常有益的体验， 从中我们能学到许多东西。 We can reap a lot from the rewarding experience of communicating with native speakers of English. to communicate with to reap a lot from … Translate the following sentences into English. Ex. VII, p. 9 《读写教程 I 》 : Ex. VII, p. 9 上一页下一页 a native speaker of English rewarding experience Back
3. 鲍勃和弗兰克一直不和。令他们尴尬的是， 他们将到同一个部门工作。 not to get along well with Bob and Frank didn’t get along well with each other. It was embarrassing that they were to work in the same department. V. Exercises--Translation 上一页下一页 in the same department embarrassing Back
You are going to hear 5 sentences. Each will be read three times. Write down the sentences according to the dictation. Multiple Choice Multiple ChoiceDictation Listening Quiz For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.
1.Besides, I gained many other things from it; it taught me the value of hard work and helped understand another culture. Key Test Yourself-----Dictation Back
Believe it or not, you can benefit a lot from singing or listening to English songs, which can help you better your pronunciation and intonation, develop language sense, pick up new expressions, etc. Besides, learning by singing is more entertaining, interesting and effective. Why not sing along?
Sing, sing a song, Sing out loud, _____________. Sing of good things, not bad, Sing of happy, _______. Sing, sing a song, Make it simple to ___your whole life long. __________that it ’ s not good enough for anyone else to ____. Just sing, sing a song. sing out strong Don ’ t worry last hear not sad Fill in the blanks while listening and then sing along