Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

On-Campus Employment, Social Security Numbers, & ITINs

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "On-Campus Employment, Social Security Numbers, & ITINs"— Presentation transcript:

1 On-Campus Employment, Social Security Numbers, & ITINs

2 On-Campus Employment ESF students may work on either the ESF or SU campus Work must provide direct services to ESF/SU students Job cannot be a Federal Work Study job You must be enrolled full-time (or an authorized equivalent) and maintaining valid immigration status 12 credits (undergrad and grad without assistantship/fellowship) 9 credits for students with assistantships or fellowships You must receive a job offer and have permission to work If you are a J-1 student with a DS-2019 issued by ESF, complete the J-1 student On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and submit to OIE If J-1 student sponsored by an organization other than ESF, obtain a letter from your sponsor approving your on-campus employment You must complete the I-9 Process before beginning employment - Working on ESF Campus: Human Resources (216 Bray Hall) - Working on SU Campus: Human Resources (210 Steele Hall) You must obtain a Social Security Number from Social Security Administration and submit a copy to HR

3 On-Campus Employment Eligibility
On-Campus Employment Limitations: You may only work 20 hours/ week while school is in session May hold more than one job on campus as long as the cumulative number of hours worked does not exceed 20 hrs/week On-campus employment and CPT: Limited to 20 hours of work a week cumulatively You may work full-time (typically 40 hours/week) during authorized school breaks. Spring Break: March 11-18, 2012 Summer Break: May 11- August 26, 2012 Thanksgiving Break: November 18-25, 2012 Winter Break: December 15, January 13, 2013 Off-Campus Employment is only authorized for: F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) J-1 Academic Training Severe Economic Hardship Employment

4 The I-9 Process at ESF All U.S. employers are required to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees—citizens and non-citizens alike—and retain I-9 files for everyone they hire in the US. Even if you already have a Social Security Number (SSN), you must still complete the I-9 process with any new employer. Bring the following documents to Human Resources (216 Bray Hall) prior to the start date of your employment: Original I-20/DS-2019; Passport; I-94 Card; Visa SSN card (if you have one) J-1 students with an ESF DS-2019: Also bring a J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and have HR complete it If you do not have a SSN, have HR complete the appropriate Social Security Memo with your job information and print on ESF letterhead Your I-9 will remain valid until the end date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019; if you extend your I-20/ DS-2019, you must bring your extended document to HR so that they can make a copy and update your I-9 accordingly.

5 I-9 Process at Syracuse University
Have your future employer complete Section A of the Social Security Memo (SU on-campus job) and print on department letterhead Bring the following documents to SU’s Human Resources (210 Steele Hall) in order to complete the I-9 process and obtain endorsement in Section B. Social Security Memo (SU on-campus job) endorsed by on-campus employer Original I-20/DS-2019, passport, I-94 card, & Social Security Card, if you have one If you are a sponsored J-1 student (Fulbright, Ford Fellow, etc.), also submit a letter from J-1 sponsor approving on-campus work J-1 students with an ESF DS-2019: Also bring a J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and have HR complete it For tax purposes, complete the Non-Resident Alien Information Form online necessary to verify eligibility for a tax withholding exemption ( ) * I-9 is valid until program end date. If you shorten/extend your program, bring your new I-20/DS-2019 to Human Resources for I-9 update. *

6 Obtaining a SSN To be eligible to apply for a Social Security Number, you must be employed or have a promise of employment noted on a SSN Memo Bring SSN Memo endorsed by HR during your I-9 to OIE (302 Bray Hall) J-1 students submit the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form or letter from your J-1 sponsor approving the on-campus work OIE will endorse the bottom of the form to certify your F-1/J-1 status Must be more than 10 days since you entered the US and 3 days since your SEVIS record was registered in order to apply for a SSN. Apply at the Social Security Office (Federal Building--100 S. Clinton St., 4th Floor) Bring your most recent I-20/DS-2019 with an entry stamp, passport, visa, I-94 card and endorsed SSN Memo Submit copy of SSN Application Receipt with your SU ID# on it to OIE Once you receive a Social Security Card, submit the following depending upon the campus you are employed on: Working on the ESF Campus: Original SSN card to Human Resources so a copy can be made and a copy of the SSN card to OIE (can scan and submit by ) Working on the SU Campus: Copy of your SSN card with SU ID # written on it to SY Payroll Office (210 Steele Hall) and a copy of the SSN card to OIE (can scan and submit by )

7 ITINs: Individual Tax Payer Identification Numbers
An ITIN is a nine-digit tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS issues ITINs to individuals who foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. F-1 and J-1 students who 1) receive income through grants and scholarships from US sources; or 2) are funded by their home government and 3) will not be securing employment or seeking payment for services performed in the U.S. may apply for an ITIN.

8 ITIN Application for Sponsored Students
Obtain an ITIN support letter from your sponsor Request an ESF support letter by submitting your sponsor’s ITIN support letter to the ESF Office of International Education. Identify the exception you are filing under (e.g., 2(b) or 2(c) Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants) and whether you will be claiming a tax treaty benefit Apply for an ITIN: IRS office, Federal Building, 100 S. Clinton Street, 11 Floor Take the ITIN Letter from your sponsor and OIE, your original passport, I-20/DS-2019, visa and I-94 card You will need to fill out a W-7 Application for an ITIN to submit to the IRS Office: W-7 Form Instructions: Under the Eligibility Section of the W-7 Form, select both “F” and “H. Other” and enter one of the valid exceptions listed on pages 6-8 of the W-7 Instructions. In most instances, a F-1 or J-1 student on a US grant, scholarship or stipend will be eligible under Exceptions 2(b) or 2(c) on page 7 of the W-7 Instructions. After receiving your ITIN approval letter, submit 1 copy to OIE

9 W-7 Form

10 Map to the Federal Building

11 2012 Taxes (to be filed after Jan 2013)
All nonresident aliens must file the Form 8843 regardless of whether or not they received income in the U.S. if they were: In the U.S. during the 2011 calendar year, and In F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1, M-2, Q-1, or Q-2 visa status Nonresident aliens who have earned or received income in the U.S. (e.g., payment for employment, scholarships, stipends) may be required to file additional federal and NY State tax forms. Tax Documentation must be postmarked by April 15, 2013 Additional Resources: CINTAX: Complete International Tax Preparation Software (FREE!) SCIS Tax Workshops (TBD)

12 Reminders To download forms and find more information on immigration topics, access the OIE website at: Keep all of your immigration and employment documents together and in a safe place—you may need them for future immigration applications (e.g., OPT) or to file income taxes I-20/DS-2019, Passport, Visa, I-94 card Social Security Card Employment Contract, Pay Stubs Check all of the expiration dates on your documents and be aware of when they expire Plan ahead and make necessary appointments to renew and update documents in a timely manner

13 Post-Completion Travel Advisories
After completing an F-1 program you have 60 day “grace period” to prepare to depart the U.S.; this time is intended for departure preparation and travel within the U.S . Travel and re-entry is not permitted during the exit grace period if: You have not been accepted into a new program of study (e.g., Master’s, Ph. D.) and received an I-20 for the program from the college You have not received (F-1) Optional Practical Training You have not received a new visa for re-entry (e.g., B-2 tourist) If you have submitted an application for OPT (pending or approved) and travel with an expired visa: You must obtain a new visa while abroad in order to re-enter the U.S.. Visa issuance for individuals on practical training can be problematic since it is more difficult to prove compelling ties to your home country because you are returning to the U.S. for employment and that may be interpreted as a desire to obtain H-1B or permanent resident status.

14 Reminders & Travel Updates
OIE strongly recommends that you attend a travel seminar at the Slutzker Center for International Services prior to departing the U.S. since immigration regulations change frequently Please submit copies of updated documents to OIE (e.g. new I-94 after travel, renewed passport, renewed visa) Be sure to keep all immigration documents together in a safe place Be aware of immigration document expiration dates and plan ahead to have them renewed or updated Additional information on immigration issues is available on the OIE website:

15 Questions?

Download ppt "On-Campus Employment, Social Security Numbers, & ITINs"

Similar presentations

Ads by Google