Presentation on theme: "5pSWb1: Experience with computerized speech-perception training (SPATS-ESL) for speakers of other languages learning English."— Presentation transcript:
5pSWb1: Experience with computerized speech-perception training (SPATS-ESL) for speakers of other languages learning English
James D. Miller, Roy Sillings, Charles S. Watson Research Department Communications Disorders Technology, Inc. Bloomington, IN 47401 (www.comdistec.com) and Isabelle Darcy and Kathleen Bardovi-Harlig Second Language Studies Indiana University Bloomington, IN 47405
SPATS-ESL Speech Perception Assessment and Training System for ESL learners (Described yesterday.. Poster 4pSW26)
SPATS-ESL in Brief A.Trains learners to identify the important syllable constituents of English: 45 onsets, 28 nuclei, & 36 codas. B. Trains learners to quickly recognize spoken sentences.
SPATS-ESL in Brief SPATS-ESL trains listeners in four tasks: 1.Identification of syllable onsets 2.Identification of syllable nuclei 3.Identification of syllable codas 4.Recognition of sentences
Development of SPATS-ESL Originally for hearing-impaired speakers of English. Modified for ESL learners based on class-room experience with 80 ESL students.
ESL Learners in Trials At least 12 L1s were represented. Some were enrolled in an Intensive English Program. Some were graduate students in degree programs. TOEFL (pbt) scores varied from below 500 to well over 600.
Data Analyses Trends for all 80 ESL students have been reviewed. Longitudinal analyses and fitting of learning curves is underway for the 30 ESL students that used the program in near final form. Summaries of completed analyses are shown. (All results are consistent with the data shown.)
Major Findings All have significant perceptual problems. Improvement on all tasks is proportional to practice time Order of difficulty: 1) Nuclei, 2) Sentences, 3) Codas, and 4) Onsets. Near-native performance on all tasks is achieved in ~(15-35) hours of SPATS-ESL training.
Longitudinal Analyses of Progress 1.Find Percent Correct (PC) and total time in SPATS practice (all kinds) at the end of each run as shown for syllable constituents at each cumulative level. 2. (Example on next slide on the next slide.)
Longitudinal Analyses of Progress 1.Adjust percent-correct scores (PCs) by multiplying by the proportion of items in the set. PCs for Level 1 are multiplied by 0.25; PCs for Level 2 are multiplied by 0.50; PCs for Level 3 are multiplied by 0.75; and those for Level 4 are multiplied by 1.0. See the next slide.
Longitudinal Analyses of Progress 1.Fit an exponential learning curve as shown on the next slide.
Longitudinal Analyses of Progress 1.Estimate time to near-native performance. 2.Sample and summary data are shown for Onsets, Codas, Sentences, and Nuclei on the following series of slides
Users’ Subjective Evaluations Do you think that other ESL programs should use SPATS? 90% yes Would you recommend SPATS to friends or relatives learning English? 90% yes Did drill on speech sounds improve your participation in everyday conversation? 80% yes Did sentence work improve your participation in every day conversation? 85% yes Will SPATS training improve your pronunciation of English? 90% yes
Summary English learners with a basic knowledge of spoken and written English have significant problems perceiving spoken English. The unique training provided by SPATS-ESL appears to enable the ESL learner to approach the perceptual skill of native speakers. By reasonable inference and user reports, SPATS training enables the ESL learner to acquire more knowledge of English through conversation and oral instruction and provides a necessary foundation for the improvement of pronunciation through self monitoring and instruction.
The End Follow developments at www.comdistec.com
The following slides are extras.
Supplemental Class Fall 2007 SPATS Original HI Nucleus Seq. Shift to ESL Nucleus Seq. Late in Sess. Onsets: 4 trials/item Nuclei: 4 trials/item Codas: 4 trials/item Sent. Task: Adaptive* Max. Classes: 4 per week/7 weeks Class Make UP Degree Students at IU
IEP Class Spring II 2008 SPATS Almost Default ESL Nucleus Seq. Onsets: 4 trials/item Nuclei: 6 trials/item Codas: 5 trials/item Sent: Random(5 to -15) Max. Classes: 2 per week/5 weeks Class Make UP IEP Students at IU
SPATS-ESL in Brief (Con’t) C. For each constituent type, training progresses from: Cumulative Level 1: 25% of the items, to Cumulative Level 2: 50% of the items, to Cumulative Level 3: 75% of the items, to Cumulative Level 4: 100% of the items.