Providence St. Vincent Medical Center Portland, Oregon, 1880 The first St. Vincent Hospital at 12 th and Marshall.
Providence St. Vincent Medical Center Sisters and lay nurses at 12 th Avenue and Marshall Street building.
St. Patrick Hospital & Providence of the Sacred Heart Academy Missoula, Montana, 1885 Second building of the sisters in Missoula. At this time, the school and hospital were housed in the same building.
Providence Yakima Medical Center Yakima, Washington, 1900 The first home of St. Elizabeth.
Sacred Heart Medical Center Spokane, Washington, 2002
Providence Seattle Medical Center Seattle, Washington, 1900 Patient receiving anesthesia prior to surgery.
Holy Cross Hospital Nome, Alaska,1903 Storefront building that housed Holy Cross Hospital.
Providence Everett Medical Center Everett, Washington, 1905 Providence Everett, formerly the Monte Cristo Hotel, on Pacific and Romer Street. The building was purchased by the sisters May 13, 1904 for $50,000 and opened as the hospital March 1, 1905 after $13,000 worth of remodeling. The hospital contained 75 beds. The building was demolished between August 1924 and May 1925.
Providence Seattle Medical Center Seattle, Washington, 1908 A men's ward, second floor of the old Providence Seattle at 5th Avenue and Madison St. The nurse is Ellen Waldron. On wall at back, note incongruous advertisement for the El Paso de Robles Springs Hotel, a grand spa/hotel at Paso Robles, midway between LA and San Francisco.
Providence Medford Medical Center Medford, Oregon, 1920 Sister and nurse apply bandages to a patient.
St. Joseph Hospital Vancouver, Washington, 1953 Sister Marie Janvier began working in the SJH pharmacy in 1952.
Providence St. Peter Hospital Olympia, Washington, 1960 Student nurse reading to a patient at Providence St. Peter Hospital. Classroom instruction at Providence St. Peter Hospital School of Nursing.
St. Mary Medical Center Walla Walla, Washington, 2005
St. Patrick Hospital Missoula, Montana, 1960 Helicopter delivers patient from lumber accident. Sister Honora with back to camera.
Providence Yakima Medical Center Yakima, Washington, 1964 L-R: Mary Bona, Lenora Donovan Sisters showing an incubator, perhaps a gift to the hospital or purchased with guild funds. Sr. Lenora Donovan was a nursing student from 1963-66.
Providence Everett Medical Center Everett, Washington, 1965 Sister Odile Belval with RN Nancy Walsh in the pharmacy, 1924 building.
Providence Portland Medical Center Portland, Oregon, 1969 Sister Alice Nevue in maternity ward. Sister Alice made first vows in 1959.
St. Joseph’s Hospital Chewelah, Washington, 2000
Providence Everett Medical Center Everett, Washington, 1975 Sister Georgette Bayless provides pastoral care.
Swedish Founder Dr. Nils Johanson In 1908, Swedish immigrant Dr. Nils Johanson moves to Seattle and sets up a surgery practice. He becomes determined to build a hospital to meet his high standards in sterile surgical conditions after discovering Seattle hospitals lack in this regard. Dr. Johanson recruits a group of fellow Swedes to help realize his dream of providing Seattle with a first-class nonprofit hospital; they set out to raise $10,000 to found Swedish.
Swedish Hospital Opens June 1, 1910 A lease is signed on a two-story apartment house at 1733 Belmont Ave. in Seattle as the location for the first Swedish Hospital and the 24-bed facility begins accepting patients. Realizing that a skilled nursing staff is critical to quality health care, Dr. Johanson establishes the Swedish School of Nursing. In 1913, the first class of five young women graduates from the Swedish School of Nursing.
1912: Swedish Purchases New Hospital The new facility, located at Summit and Columbia, will become the cornerstone of Swedish Medical Center/First Hill.
1926 Private Patient Room Swedish Keeps Growing In 1926, a seven-story addition increases capacity to 200 beds, including a nursery with 65 bassinets, and is furnished with modern hospital equipment. During the Great Depression, Swedish perseveres in its commitment to serve the community. The Tumor Institute opens in 1932 as the first dedicated tumor treatment center — and the first to provide high-energy radiation therapy — west of the Mississippi. 1926 Operating Room
And Growing … By 1975, with the addition of professional office buildings and the area's first independent day-surgery program, Swedish grows to become a major medical center. In 1980, Doctors Hospital and Seattle General Hospital close, merging with Swedish. Ballard Community Hospital becomes a valuable part of the Swedish system in 1992. Now known as Swedish Medical Center/Ballard, it continues to play a vital role in the North Seattle community. Swedish/Ballard
Swedish Grows to Become Major Medical Center Providence Seattle Medical Center, founded by the Sisters of Providence, also adds important expertise and resources when it joins the Swedish system in 2000. The Providence location is now called Swedish Medical Center/Cherry Hill. Swedish/Cherry Hill
Swedish Grows in South Snohomish and East King Counties Swedish/EdmondsSwedish/Issaquah
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.