Presentation on theme: "Principal Professional Development project This project, as a part of the National Partnership on Improving Teacher Quality, provides opportunities for."— Presentation transcript:
Principal Professional Development project This project, as a part of the National Partnership on Improving Teacher Quality, provides opportunities for alliances of schools to drive student, school and systems learning and innovation led by school leaders working together to create new capacity through new skills, new knowledge, and new practice.
Framing our collaboration
Purpose of the PPD project Create sustainable collaborative learning alliances underpinned by system wide communities of practices Build instructional leadership capacity for school and systems improvement Lead improvement, innovation and change Develop the skills, capabilities, practices and pathways for emerging principals and aspiring leaders in NSW Public schools
The Call for Systems Leadership It involves: Developing and leading successful educational and organisational improvements Acting as a curriculum innovator who develops and sustains best practice across the school system Building capabilities as a change agent to lead transformative change within the complex and rapidly changing local and global contexts of the 21C learning environment
‘System leaders’ care about and work for the success of other schools as well as their own. They measure their success in terms of improving student learning and increasing achievement, and strive to both raise the bar and narrow the gap (s). They are willing to shoulder system leadership roles in the belief that in order to change the larger system, you have to engage with it in a meaningful way. Professor Emeritus, David Hopkins, author of Every School A Great School
Vision and values Knowledge and understanding Personal qualities, social and interpersonal skills Professional practices Leading teaching and learning Developing self and others Leading improvement, innovation and change Leading the management of the school Engaging and working with the community High quality learning, teaching and schooling The standard for principals : The role in action Leadership requirements Successful learners, confident creative individuals and active informed citizens* Context: School, sector, community: socio-economic, geographic: and education systems at local, regional, national and global levels The Australian Professional Standard for Principals
SUCCESSION & SUSTAINABILITY ORGANISATIONAL INNOVATION LEADERSHIP DESIGN LEARNING ALLIANCES Principal collaborative learning communities Building instructional leadership capacity Principal preparation pathways Leading futures focused innovation Australian Professional Standard for Principals Connect & Contribute Innovation to create a Dynamic Learning System …
Using the NP Principal Professional Development to develop a Dynamic Learning System Culture of Collaboration and Connectedness Engaged and Accomplished Community of Learners Evolving Leadership Organisational Innovation and Agility Evidence-Seeking Knowledge Generation What do leaders need to ensure? What makes a powerful school system? Principal collaborative learning communities Building instructional leadership capacity Principal preparation pathways Leading futures focused innovation
1. Learning Alliances Creating sustainable collaborative learning communities (alliances) and system wide practices of “enabling leadership” that will ensure the learning of leaders and contribute to student, school and systems learning and improvement.
2. Leadership Design Designing quality professional learning and curriculum modules to build instructional leadership capacity for school and system- wide improvement Leadership Mastery Core Leadership Mentoring Principal Proficient Principal Novice Principal/ Aspiring Executive
2. Leadership Design: Building capacity through new knowledge, skills and practices (after H Timperley) Providing support through research, facilitators and implementation team. Knowledge generation, sharing and distribution of innovative educational practice Recognition of prior learning and Professional learning modules. Using national frameworks and tools including AITSL 360 degree Reflection tool.
2. Leadership Design: Using the AITSL 360 Reflection Tool The 360 Reflection Tool provides principals with the opportunity to: reflect on their leadership capacity monitor change in their leadership behaviour and actions learn more about their strengths better understand and explore opportunities for improvement gather critical feedback on their performance use feedback to reflect on their leadership and develop a leadership action plan use feedback as one element of their professional appraisal plan professional learning and development opportunities for themselves. Registration for the 360 Reflection Tool will be available in early 2013.
3. Organisational Innovation Leading futures-focused organisational improvement, innovation and change. Past Focus ImproveSupplement Future Focus Reinvent Paradigm Shift
3. Organisational Innovation: Embedding Change Critical to the PPD project is delivering new ways of learning and organisational practice. It is expected this national partnership will influence school improvement and systems improvement “DISCIPLINED” INNOVATION - design new learning & practice that is joint, distributed, challenging, evaluative & supported. (After Valerie Hannon)
4. Leadership Succession & Sustainability Developing accreditation pathways to enhance the skills, capabilities and practices of emerging principals and aspiring leaders in schools. The processes, projects, practices used in the delivery of the partnership in NSW DEC schools will support leadership professional learning and school improvement beyond the time frame of the project itself. The delivery will focus on making change with and for the people who lead our schools to enable them to sustain new ways of working and leading into the future.
We will be creating the environment for others to succeed….. (Leon Cameron)
Over to you … What is your idea for an innovate learning & improvement project? What new capacity, skills, knowledge and practice will it create? Who will work with you on it? (Learning Alliance) Idea for innovation & improvement Project report Learning modules Project management; learning, strategies & actions What will support success? What can hinder success? NP
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST ARE DUE BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS, 22 MARCH 2013