Topic 3 Many things can affect our feelings. Section A 福建省石狮市石光华侨联合中学 王莎白
Useful sentences for telephone dialog. Hello! May I speak to...? This is... speaking. Who is that?...
Listen to 1a and answer the following questions: 1. What is Michael worried about? 2. How long has Michael felt like this? 3. Does he want to see a doctor? Why or why not? 4. How do you think Michael can get well soon?
Answer 1. What is Michael worried about? ________________________________________________________ 2. How long has Michael felt like this? _________________________________________________________ 3. Does he want to see a doctor? Why or why not? _________________________________________________________ 4. How do you think Michael can get well soon? _________________________________________________________ He is worried about his illness. One day. No, he doesn’t. Because he is afraid of taking bitter medicine. I think he must see a doctor and follow the doctor’s advice.
Listen again and underline the useful expressions. M: Hello, Kangkang? This is Michael speaking. K: Hello, Michael! You sound terrible. M: Maybe I have SARS. It makes me feel nervous. I think I’m dying. K: Calm down and listen to me, Michael. How long have you felt like this? M: One day. K: Michael, I’m so sorry about your illness, but it can’t be SARS. You need to see a doctor. M: I hate to go to the hospital. I’m afraid of taking bitter medicine. K: Don’t be afraid! Be brave! Follow the doctor’s advice, and you’ll get well soon. M: I hope so. Thanks, Kangkang. Good night! K: Good night!
1. It makes me feel nervous. make sb. do sth. 让某人做某事 Eating dirty fruits made my son ill. The teacher made Tom leave the class. make +object +adj. 使某物处于某种状态 The nurse there makes me nervous. 2. How long have you felt like this? 你有这样的感觉多久了 ? =How long have you been like this? 现在完成时, 构成是 : have/has+ 过去分词 3. but it can’t be SARS…, can’t be 表示否定推测, 意思是 “ 不可能 ”. 另 :must be 表示肯定推测, “ 一定 ” He can’t be at home. Maria must be at home because the light is on.
1c. Pair work Discuss the questions with your partner. 1. How do you feel when you are ill? 2. If your friend is ill, how will you reassure him/her? I feel sad and nervous.Don’t be afraid. Be brave! Follow the doctor’s advice, and you’ll get well soon.
1. I’m worried about the test at the end of the month. at the end of 在 …… 尽头，在 …… 末 You will find the post office at the end of the road. 2. We can take turns to help you with your lessons. take turns to do sth. 轮流做某事 We take turns to clean the classrooms. in turn 依次，逐个地 They spoke in turn at the meeting.
3. He may ask one of our classmates to give the speech instead of you. (1) instead of = in place of 代替 I went there by bus instead of on foot. =I went there by bus in place of on foot. (2) ask sb. to do sth. 让某人做某事 Ask him to make a plan.
Michael is ill at home. Kangkang and his friends come to Michael’s house. Michael is ________ to see them because he feels ________ and ________ at home. Kangkang will bring him some ______ CDs and DVDs. But he is ___________ about the test and the ______. The children will ______ _______ to help him with his lessons. Jane will bring him some ________. So he can learn by himself. The monitor will ask one of his classmates _________ ____ him to give the speech. They all hope Michael will get well soon. glad lonely worried turns take workbooks insteadof bored Listen to 2a again and fill in the blanks. speech exciting
1.Read 2a again to find out Michael’s troubles and how the children reassure him. Complete the table and then role-play in groups.
TroubleHow to reassure him He feels bored and lonely at home. He can listen to music. He missed a lot of lessons. His classmates can take turns to help him with his lessons. He can’t give his speech in his school. The monitor may ask one of their classmates to give the speech instead of him.
2. Suppose Xiao Ming was ill. He didn’t go to school, and the other three or four students went to visit him. Make up a dialog about illness, reassurance and suggestion.
Exercise 根据句意及汉语提示完成下列句子。 1. I hear your mother _________ ( 得了 感冒 ). 2. We will _________ ( 轮流 ) to clean our classroom. 3. I will _________ ( 过来 ) to see you next time. 4. _________ ( 恐怕 ) I have to go now. had a cold take turns come over I’m afraid
5. __________ ( 别急 )! We will help you. 6. The teacher came in with a big s____. She was so happy. 7. His father is r___. He has so much money. 8. Stupid is another way of saying s___. Take it easy mile ich illy
9. We sang and danced in the party last night. We are so h_____. 10. I got many birthday presents. I was l____. 11. The little boy is afraid of taking b______ medicine. appy ucky itter
1. Learn some new words and phrases: nervous, calm down, bitter, CD, DVD, test, speech, monitor 2. Learn how to describe feelings: These days I feel very bored and lonely at home. 3. Learn the usages of “make + object + v./adj.” It makes me feel nervous. Some TV programs make me sleepy.
1. Prepare a short play, according to 1a and 2a. 2. Make a table to interview your partners about their feelings when they are ill. Then think about how to reassure them. NameFeelingsReassurance
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.