Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Agriculture as Economic Development through Rural-Urban Partnerships.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Agriculture as Economic Development through Rural-Urban Partnerships."— Presentation transcript:

1 Agriculture as Economic Development through Rural-Urban Partnerships

2 American Farmland Trust Report Spells out Opportunities in Local Food Production Gives stakeholders an action plan to move forward

3 898,000 + acres of farmland 5,536 individual farms $810 million region-wide farm gross economic impact $650+ million in sales at farm gate $25 million in direct sales

4

5

6

7 Measuring Unmet Demand New York State Unmet DemandHudson Valley Unmet Demand Source: New Venture Advisors LLC,

8 Hudson Valley Farms 5,5365,6285,8194,7955,0735,707 Farm Acreage 898,014898,6571,004,132926,8271,036,0601,083,511 Avg Farm Acreage Value of Product ($1,000) $651,828*$549,879$410,630$416,274$398,931$394,546 Average Per Farm $104,514.7*$88,954.4$67,251.1$82,822$74,455.5$58,730.8

9 Hudson Valley Total Number of Farms 5,5365,628 Total Farm Acreage 898,014898,657 Average Farm Acreage Market Value of Ag Products Sold $651,828,000**$549,879,000 Average Per Farm $104,514.7**$88,954.4 The Hudson Valley and surrounding region lost 92 farms and 643 acres of farmland since 2007.

10 Agribusiness effects urban and rural communities Agriculture alone represents only 1% of U.S. GDP However, Agriculture in combination with entire Producer, Processor to Retail Food Establishment contributes 16% of U.S. GDP 17% of U.S Workforce is employed in agriculture related field $87 billion in net farm income An agricultural cluster includes the food supply chain (raw production, distribution, processing), forestry products, biofuels, alternative energy, and heavy equipment

11


Download ppt "Agriculture as Economic Development through Rural-Urban Partnerships."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google