Presentation on theme: "Unit 3 The Million Pound Bank Note What do you know about Mark Twain? Warming up Mark Twain (1835—1910) The greatest speaker of the 19th century in America."— Presentation transcript:
1. What’s the real name of Mark Twain? 2. What’s the Birth date of Mark Twain? 3. Which novel is not written by Mark Twain? 4. Where does Mark Twain brought up? 5.What does “mark twain” mean?
1. What’s the real name of Mark Twain? A. Samuel Langhorne Green B. Samuel Langhorne Clemens C. Samuel Langhorne Einstein Please close your book. Let’s begin the game. A C B
2. What’s the Birth date of Mark Twain? A. A. November 30th, 1825 B. 30th, 1835 B. September 30th, 1835 C. C. November 30th, 1835 D. D. September 30th, 1836 A D C B
3. Which novel is not written by Mark Twain? A. “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” B. “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland” C. “Running for Governor” D. “Life on the Mississippi” A D C B
4. Where was Mark Twain brought up? A.London B.Missouri C.Canada D.Africa A DC B
What does “mark twain” mean? A. two meters B. two fathoms C. two miles D. two kilometers one million pounds!! The last question, if you choose the right answer, you will get one million pounds!! Oh, my heart beats so fast...... A D C B
Congratulations! You get one million pounds. Oh, I can’t believe it! I must be dreaming!! Thanks to the teacher, thanks to all the students, thanks to the CCTV, thanks to…
Travel (study) around the world Gives generously to charity. 慷慨捐助慈善事业。
Now, you become a millionaire. ( 百万富翁 ). What will you do with the money? Discussion
The Million Pound Bank Note A brief introduction to The Million Pound Bank Note
Two rich gentlemen made a bet on what would happen to a person if he was given a million pound note. Henry, the hero of the story, an American young man, sailed too far, fell into the ocean, A British ship, for London, passing by, fortunately saved him.
no job, no money, honest, the right person to choose for betting gave Henry an envelope and told him not to open it until 2 o’clock
1. How many characters are there in the play? 2. What did Henry get? Five. A letter with money.
Read the play carefully and answer the following questions: 1. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about London? 2. What did he do in America? 3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there?
1. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about London? 2. What did he do in America? Henry comes from San Francisco in USA. He worked for a mining company. No, he doesn’t know London at all.
3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? He was sailing out the bay when he was carried out to sea by a strong wind and was survived by a ship for London.
Henry wandered in London streets. About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. The next morning he was spotted by a ship. Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. 1 2 3 4 5 Put the following events in correct order: Reading Comprehension II
1.____ Henry wants to find a job in London. 2.____ Henry is given an envelope by the two brothers. 3.____ Henry is an unlucky young man. 4.____The servant is called James. 5.____ Henry is foolish to go and meet the two brothers. F F O F O Reading Comprehension I Write “ F ” if it is a fact. Write “ O ” if it is an opinion.
What kinds of people are Henry Adams, Oliver and Roderick? Find some adjectives(or other words) to describe them after reading.
It is my first trip here. Well, to be honest, I have none. (no money) Well, I can’t say that I have any plans.
I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand.
Could you offer me some kind of work here? I don’t want your charity. I just want an honest job.
Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don’t think it’s very funny. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll be on my way.
The characteristics of Oliver and Roderick: servants and not worrying about giving a stranger a million pound bank-note prepared to bet one million pounds just for a bit of fun They see that Henry is honest and proud. rich mischievous 恶作剧的 good judges of character
Henry was an_________. One day he had an accident in a___. Luckily he was survived by a ship for_______. He arrived in London by earning his passage without pay. American London bay Retell the story
He was in the street in London. To his surprise an _________ thing happened. Two rich brothers gave him a million pound bank-note because they had made a____. unbelievable wandering bet
Discuss Why do you think that the brothers chose Henry for their bet? It was his first visit to London so nobody knew him. He had no money so he would have to rely on the bank note. They thought he looked honest because he asked for a job and not charity.
Appreciation Money is not everything It can buy you a house but not a home, It can buy you a bed but not sleep, It can buy you a clock but not time, It can buy you books but not knowledge, It can buy you blood but not life, It can buy you a position but not respect, It can buy you medicine but not health, Money may not be the root of all evil( 罪恶 ), But it often brings us anguish ( 苦恼 )and regrets( 懊 悔 ).
Homework 1.How do you think the story will develop? Write a passage about it in about 150 words. 2. Finish the exercises on page 20.