Presentation on theme: "Unit 3 The Million Pound Bank-note Warming up and Reading I 李晓琴."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 3 The Million Pound Bank-note Warming up and Reading I 李晓琴
What do you know about Mark Twain? Warming up Mark Twain (1835—1910) The greatest humorist of the 19th century in American literature. Also one of the greatest writer in the world. Do you know any of his works?
Real name Meaning of his pen name Birth date Birthplace Place where he grew up His famous stories Read the short passage quickly and fill in the chart.
Real name of MT Meaning of his pen name Birth date Birth place Samuel Langhorne Clemens November 30th, 1835 Florida Fill in the blanks. river
Place where he grew up His famous stories In Hannibal, Missoouri, along the Mississippi River. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
The greatest humorist of the 19 th century American literature. Novels: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)( 汤姆 · 索亚历险记） The Prince and the Pauper (1882)( 皇子与贫儿 ) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1894)( 哈克贝利 · 费恩历险 记 ) Mark Twain: (1835—1910)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 《汤姆 · 索亚历险记》 He is good at writing about children’s adventures.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 《哈克贝利 · 弗恩历 险记》
his masterpieces 1876 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
his masterpieces 1881 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
1. Running for Governor his short stories
2. The £ 1,000,000 Bank-Note
Suppose a rich person gives you a million pound bank- note, what will you do with it? Give the reasons. Discussion
We are going to study the play “The Million Pound Bank Note” by Mark Twain. First, let’s learn something about play. 戏剧包括哪些要素？ 情感，欲望，争斗，妥协。 什么是戏剧冲突？ 戏剧冲突表现在人物性格的冲突上，具 体表现为一系列的动作。 Pre-reading
Listen to the tape and read the play, and find out the conflict in the play. After that, answer the questions. How many characters are there in the scene? Who are they?
Characters （人物）： Henry Adams: a lost American businessman in London “Roderick” and “Oliver”: two brothers and rich Englishmen
Who is the main character? Where does he come from? Henry, the hero of the story, comes from America.
When and where did the story happen? Where are the characters in Scene 3? What happened in Scene 3? In London, the summer of In the old brothers’ home. The two old brothers gave Henrry a bank note.
Read the play carefully and answer the following questions: 1. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about London? 2. What did he do in America? 3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? 4. How many questions do the brothers ask Henry? What is the brothers’ concern?
5. Why do the brothers give Henry the letter? 6. Can you find the examples of polite requests? 7. Can you guess why the brothers do not permit Henry to open the letter until 2 o’clock?
1. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about London? 2. What did he do in America? Henry comes from San Francisco. No, he doesn’t know London at all. He worked for a mining company.
3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? He was sailing out the bay when he was carried out to sea by a strong wind and was survived by a ship for London.
4. How many questions do the brothers ask Henry? What is the brothers’ concern? Seven. They want to know whether or not Henry is penniless.
5. Why do the brothers give Henry the letter? It was his first visit to London so nobody knew him. He had no money so he would have to rely on the bank note. They thought he looked honest because he asked for a job and not charity.
(1) Henry wandered in London streets. (2) About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. (3) The next morning he was spotted by a ship. (4) Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. (5) On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. Put the following events in correct order.
Key: (2) About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. (4) Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. (3) The next morning he was spotted by a ship. (5) On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. (1)Henry wandered in London streets.
Henry was an _________. One day he had an accident in a ___. Luckily he was survived by a ship for _______. He arrived in London by earning his passage without pay. American London bay Retell the story by filling the following passage.
He was ___ in the street in ____. To his surprise an _________ thing happened. Two rich brothers gave him a million pound bank-note because they had made a ____. incredible ragslost bet
What do you think of Henry?
Tells the truth to the brothers. It is my first trip here. Well, to be honest, I have none. (no money) Well, I can’t say that I have any plans.
Wants work but not charity. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand. Could you offer me some kind of work here? I don’t want your charity, I just want an honest job.
Well, it may seem luck to you but not to me. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don’t think it’s very funny. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll be on my way.
What kind of persons you think Oliver and Roderick are? Post reading
Oliver and Roderick: rich (servants and not worrying about giving a stranger a million pound bank- note), mischievous (prepared to bet one million pounds just for a bit of fun), good judges of character (they see Henry is honest and proud)
What do you think will happen to Henry? Will the bank-note help him or get him into trouble? Give a possible development to the story. Prediction