Presentation on theme: "Listen to the reading text and tell rue or False (1) The UK includes England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. (2) The three countries were united by war."— Presentation transcript:
Listen to the reading text and tell rue or False (1) The UK includes England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. (2) The three countries were united by war instead of peacefully. (3) Northern Ireland, England and Scotland have developed different educational and legal systems but they do work together in some areas as well. (4) The Romans left their language and their government to London. F F T F
Put each town or city into its correct zone according to the reading text. Leeds, York, Sheffield, Manchester Coventry, Birmingham Reading, London, Brighton, Plymouth
Answer the questions. 1. When did Wales link to England? 2. What happened in 1603? 3. What are the names of the flags of England, Scotland, Ireland and the UK? 4. When were the industrial cities built in Midlands and North England? 5. What happened in 1 st century AD and 1060s?
1. When did Wales link to England? 2. What happened in 1603? 3. What are the names of the flags of England, Scotland, Ireland and the UK? In the 13th century AD Great Britain was the name given when England and Wales were joined to Scotland. See under the Fig.
4. When were the industrial cities built in Midlands and North England? 5. What happened in the 1 st century AD and 1060s? In the 19th century. The oldest port was built by Romans in the 1 st century AD. The oldest building begun by the Anglo- Saxons in 1060s.
1.Water ____________hydrogen and oxygen. 2.The teacher _______ the class ______ two groups. 3. It is not easy for him to __________________ bad habits. 4. To be honest, I can’t tell what the ________of this building is. 5. ______________, he passed the driving test. Revision consists of divided into break away from attraction To his delight
Explanation 1. How many countries does the UK consist of? 大不列颠由多少个国家组 成？ consist vi. 在于, 存在于 ; 组成, 构成 习惯搭配： 1) consist of 由 … 组成, 由 … 构成, 包括
( 注意 : 不能用于被动语态和进行时态 ) = be made up of This club consists of more than 200 members. Coal consists mostly of carbon. 2) consist in 基于, 在于, 存在 … 之中 The beauty of the city consists in its magnificent buildings.
2. England can be divided into three main areas. 英国可以分成三大部分。 divide 意为 “ 把一个整体分成若干个部 分 ” 常与 into, among, between 搭配 divide into 把 … 分成 divide sth. among sb. 在 … 分配 divide A from B 使分离 ; 使分开 divide… by… 用 … 除以
划分 ; 把整体分成若干部分, 破 坏了宾语的完整性。 分隔 ; 把原来连在一起或靠近 的分隔开来, 没有破坏宾语的 完整性, 只是将宾语分开。 divide separate 辨析 : divide, separate
The world is divided into five continents. Let’s divide the cake into three. He separated the big eggs from the small ones. The grinding machine ( 碾谷机 ) separates the grain from the husk( 糠 ).
1. The apple was _______ into two. 2. We _______the money equally. 3. Oxygen can be ________ from water. 4. The Taiwan Strait ________ Taiwan from Fujian. 试一试 divided separated separates
3. There is no need to debate any more about why different words are used to describe the four countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Island. 对于用来描述英格兰、威尔士、苏格兰和北 爱尔兰这四个国家的词语, 现在已经没有争辩 的必要了。
1) 句型 : There is no need to do sth. 没有必要做某事 There is no need (for you) to come if you don’t want to. 如果你不想来, 那就没有必要来了。 Is there any need to explain any further ？ 还有必要作进一步的解释吗？
2) 句中 why 引导宾语从句, 作介词 about 的 宾语 debate v. & n. ① 辩论, 讨论 debate about sth. 对某事进行辩论, 讨论 What are they debating (about)? We are just debating what to do next. After a long debate, the House of Commons approved the bill.
经过长时间的讨论, 众议院通过了这 项法案。 4. You can easily clarify any problems if you study British history. 如果你学习了英国历史, 很容易就能 弄清楚任何问题。
clarify vt. 澄清, 讲清楚 ; 阐明 vi. 澄清, 清楚, 明了 ; 易懂事 Could you clarify the question ？ 你能解释这个问题吗？ His mind suddenly clarified. 他的头脑突然清醒了. 拓展 : clarification n.
5. However, just as they were going to get Ireland connected to form the United Kingdom, the Southern part of that country broke away to form its own government. 然而, 正当他们打算把爱尔兰也同另外 三个国家联合起来形成联合王国的时 候, 爱尔兰的南部却分离出去了。
break v. (broke, broken) 习惯搭配 : break away 挣脱, 逃脱；脱离, 背叛 break down 抛锚, 出故障, 身体跨了 break into 闯入, 突然发出 break out ( 战争、瘟疫、火灾 ) 爆发 break off 中断 break the rules 违反规则 break the records 打破记录
6. Although the four countries do work together in some areas ( for example, in international relations), they are still different. 尽管这四个国家在某些方面 ( 如国际关 系方面 ) 是合作的, 但它们还是不同的 。
注意 work together 是一个习惯用语, 不 能按字面意思直译。 work 在此处 的被译为 “ 起反应, 起作用 ”
由动词 work 构成的词组： work well 做得好 work sth. in/into sth. 设法把... 加进 work at something 从事 work out 算出 work one’s will on /upon somebody 将某人的意志强加给别人
7. England is the largest of the four countries and for convenience it is divided roughly into three zones. 在这四个国家中, 英格兰最大, 为了方便 起见, 它大致被分为了三个地区。 convenience n. 方便, 便利 I keep my reference books near my desk for convenience. 为了图方便, 我把参考书放在书桌前。
＜习惯搭配＞ at one’s convenience 在方便的时候 for (the sake of) convenience 为了方便起见 make a convenience of sb. ( 乘机 ) 利用某人
＜拓展＞ convenient adj. 适合需要的, 方便的 a convenient place/ time It is an inconvenient time to come. I can’t see him now; it’s not convenient. Will it be convenient for you to start work tomorrow?
8. However, these industrial cities built in the 19th century do not have the historical attractions of other places. 然而, 这些在十九世纪建立起来的城市 却没有其它地方所具有的历史魅力。
attraction n. 1) 吸引，引力 ; 2) 吸引人的东西 ; 喜闻乐见的东西 ; 精彩节目 attractive adj. 有吸引力，诱人的 attraction of gravity 重力 He can’t resist the attraction of the sea on hot day. 酷热的夏天他经不住海的诱惑。
A big city offers many and varied attractions. 大城市有多种多样吸引人的东西。 What are the principle attractions this evening? 今天晚上的拿手节目是什么？
＜短语＞ have influence with / on 对... 有影响 under the influence of 在 … 影响下 9. But London has been influenced only by some invaders of England. 但是伦敦仅受一些入侵者的影响。 influence vt. & n. 影响，感化, 影响力
My teacher influenced my decision to study art. The weather influences crops. My teacher’s influence made me study science at college. He is a man of influence in the city.
10. If you look around the British countryside, you will find evidence of all these invaders. 如果你的在英国四处走走的话, 就会 发现这些入侵者的痕迹。 invader n. 入侵者 ; 侵略者 invade vt. 侵入 ; 侵略 ; 拥入
Hitler invaded Poland in 希特勒 1939 年入侵波兰。 Doubts invade my mind. 满腹狐疑。 Disease invade the body. 疾病侵袭身体。 Holiday makers invade the seaside towns in summer. 在夏季, 度假者大批涌入海滨城市。
Discovering useful words and expressions:
1. Choose the correct words below to complete the passage, making necessary changes. “Why are you ________ to accept this wonderful opportunity?” asked the boss on the phone. “Have you read the description carefully? You will live in a town close to the _____________ in England in a furnished house with all modern _________. Our office in Beijing will be able to enjoyable kingdom unwilling countryside clarify construct accomplish administration conveniences unwilling countryside conveniences
1. Choose the correct words below to complete the passage, making necessary changes. _____________ any problems using fax or the Internet. Your task will be to examine the possibility of _______________ a new factory in the United _____________. We need you to become familiar with the ____________ and rules for such a project. We hope you will be able to ____________ this easily within six months and that it will be an ____________ experience for you.” enjoyable kingdom unwilling countryside clarify construct accomplish administration conveniences clarify constructing kingdom administration accomplish enjoyable
1.Q: What is the ____________ of Great Britain? A: Pounds and pence. 2.Q: What is the flag of Great Britain called? A: _________________________. 3. Q: What countries does the ________ Kingdom ______? A: England, Scotland, Wales plus Northern Ireland. 4. Q: Which of the part of the British Isles _______ from the United Kingdom? A: Southern Ireland. currency 2. Complete these questions or answers using vocabulary from the text. Then read them aloud with a partner. The Union Jack United consist of broke away
5. Q: Which ________________ are different in each country of the United Kingdom? A: Education and law. 6. Q: Do these differences cause ________ or quarrels? A: No. The countries are alike in wanting their own systems to continue. 7. Q: What are the ______________ called in England? A: Counties. institutions 2. Complete these questions or answers using vocabulary from the text. Then read them aloud with a partner. conflicts provinces
3. Choose the correct word from the list to fit each of these sentences. 1 “Why don’t you want to accept this wonderful opportunity?” _________ the boss on the phone. whisper smile ask advise answer beg suggest decide shout agree scream complain 2 “Shall we leave now?” He _________ to us and we left the room very quietly. 3 “Help! Help! I can’t swim,” _________ the frightened boy. 4 “Please don’t hurt my cat,” _________ Sarah as her brother picked it up by one leg. asked whispered screamed begged
agreed 5 “I’d like to live in a castle of my own too,” _________ the young prince. answered 6 “Yes, I bought a car and a new flat this winter,” _____________ my father. 7 “Are you coming with us?” _________ Li Ming to her friend on the other side of the room. 8 “I didn’t like that meal at all,” _________ the customer. 9 “Perhaps you would like to go this way?” _________ the man shyly. shouted complained suggested
1.Remember the language points in this unit and finish USING WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS in workbook on pages Read the text again and find out the Past Participle in it. 3.Finish exercises 1-3 on page 13.