Presentation on theme: "(1) L-B leveB-lmain Part Ⅰ Listening Comprehension Part Ⅱ Vocabulary & Structure Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension Part Ⅳ Translation — English into Chinese."— Presentation transcript:
(1) L-B leveB-lmain Part Ⅰ Listening Comprehension Part Ⅱ Vocabulary & Structure Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension Part Ⅳ Translation — English into Chinese Part Ⅴ Writing Test Yourself (for PRETCO － Level B)
(1) L-B part1-main Section A Section B Part Ⅰ Section C
(1) L-B P1-sectionA-1 Section A Directions: This section is to test your ability to give proper answers to questions. There are 5 recorded questions in it. After each question, there is a pause. The questions will be spoken two times. When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D) given in your test paper. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre. Part Ⅰ Listening Comprehension (15 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your listening ability. It consists of 3 sections.
(1) L-B P1-sectionA-2 Example: You will hear: You will read: From the question, we learn that the speaker is saying sorry to the listener Therefore, C) It doesn’t matter is the correct answer. You should mark C) on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre. Now the test will begin. I have a terrible toothache today. script 1. A) Can I do anything for you? B) Are you sure? C) Never mind. D) Are you all right? A) I’m not sure. B) You’re right. C) It doesn’t matter. D) You must buy me a new one. script I’m very sorry to have lost the book you lent me. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionA-3 Would you please get me some paper ? script 2. A)You’re welcome. B) Don’t be so polite. C) With pleasure. D) It’s nothing. To be honest, I didn’t think much of his painting. script 3. A) Oh, really? B) Yes, the painting is as good as I expected. C) I’m joking with you. D) His painting sells well. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionA-4 I’m sorry I’m so late. I hope you haven’t been waiting long. script 4. A) Yes, I’ve been waiting for one and a half hours. B) Yes, flights are often late these days. C) No, it’s not a waste of time. D) No, that’s OK. I’ve been able to make two phone calls. I hope we can meet sometime next week. Would Monday morning suit you? script 5. A) Yes, what about Tuesday? B) Yes, I hope to see you on Wednesday. C) I’m afraid I won’t be free on Monday. D) Thursday is all right for me. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionB-1 Section B Directions: This section is to test your ability to give proper answers to questions. There are 5 recorded questions in it. After each question, there is a pause. The questions will be spoken two times. When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D) given in your test paper. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
(1) L-B P1-sectionB-2 M: Can I help you, Madam? W: Yes, I want to start painting as a hobby. Could you give me some advice about what to buy? Q: Who could the man most probably be? script 6. A) A friend of the woman’s. B) A customer. C) A shop assistant. D) A painter. M: Do you know Mary quite well? W: There is no one on campus who does not know her. Q: What can we learn from the conversation? script 7. A) Mary isn’t popular on campus. B) The woman doesn’t know Mary quite well. C) Mary isn’t welcome on campus. D) The woman knows Mary quite well. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionB-3 M: Why didn’t you stop when we first signaled? W: I’m sorry. Will I have to pay a fine? Q: What’s the probable relationship between the two speakers? script 8. A)Policeman and thief. B)Policeman and driver. C)Shop assistant and customer. D)Teacher and student. M: It’s so noisy outside. Why don’t you shut the windows? W: I opened them because I needed some fresh air. Q: What did the woman mean? script 9. A)She was cold. B) The air was not fresh in the room. C)She was hot. D)It was too noisy in the room. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionB-4 M: Laura’s birthday is on the tenth of July. W: No, that’s mine. Laura’s is ten days later. Q: When is Laura’s birthday? script 10. A)The 20th of July. B) The 10th of July. C) The 20th of June. D) The 10th of June. KEY
(1) L-B P1-sectionC-1 Section C Directions: In this section you will hear a recorded short passage. The passage is printed on the test paper, but with some words or phrases missing. The passage will be read three times. During the second reading, you are required to put the missing words or phrases on the Answer Sheet in order of the numbered blanks according to what you hear. The third reading is for you to check your writing. Now the passage will begin. It was two weeks before Christmas, and Mrs. Smith was very (11). She bought a lot of Christmas cards to send to her friends and to her husband’s friends, and put them on the table in the living-room. Then, when her husband came home from work, she said to him, “Here are the Christmas cards for our friends, and here are some stamps, a pen and our book of addresses. Will you please write the cards while I am (12) the dinner?” busy cooking ____ ________
(1) L-B P1-sectionC-2 Mr. Smith did not say anything, but walked out of the living-room and went to his (13). Mrs. Smith was very angry with him, but did not say anything either. Then a minute later he came back with a box (14) of Christmas cards. All of them had addresses and stamps on them. “These are from last year,” he said, “I forgot to (15) them. study full post ______ ____ _____
(1) L-B part2-main Section A Section B Part Ⅱ Vocabulary & Structure(15 minutes)
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-1 Section A Directions: There are 10 incomplete sentences here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre. Part Ⅱ Vocabulary & Structure (15 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your ability to use words and grammar correctly to construct meaningful and grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-2 A good student can __________all the knowledge his teachers can give him. 16. A) take apart B) take over C) take part in D) take in I bought a new house last year, but I ___________my old one yet, so at the moment I have two houses. 17. A) did not sell B) have not sold C) do not sell D) had not sold KEY
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-3 You should be ________ with what you have. 18. A) uncertain B) nervous C) content D) attractive The boy _____________ to see a man running out of the bank. 19. A) happened B) continued C) kept D) remained KEY
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-4 On my way home I stopped off at the bank and _________ fifty dollars from my savings account. 20. A) removed B) withdrew C) pulled D) reduced Documents _________ with chemicals will not become yellow for a long time. 21. A) treated B) treating C) treats D) be treated KEY
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-5 I have no objection to ____________the windows to get some fresh air. 22. A) open B) being opened C) opening D) be opened I’m so ___________to have it that nothing will change my mind. 23. A) expected B) attempted C) decided D) determined KEY
(1) L-B P2-sectionA-6 I’d like you to come to the party but __________ you don’t want to come, you don’t have to. 24. A) if B) while C) until D) although It was simply for some special reason _________ they didn’t tell me the truth at that time. 25. A) which B) so C) that D) of which KEY
(1) L-B P2-sectionB-1 Section B Directions: There are also 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in the brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet. 26. Teaching can be a tiring and (stress) job. 27. It was with great (sad) that I heard of your husband’s death. 28. I’m pleased to say that I am now the proud (possess) of a driving license! 29. The visit to the Great Wall has (put) off because of the heavy rain. 30. The boys next door used (like) singing and shouting loudly, but they seem to have stopped doing that now. 31. The students from the U.S. got used to (eat) Chinese food quite soon. stressful sadness possessor to be put to like eating ________ _________ ___________ ________ _______
(1) L-B P2-sectionB-2 32. John makes us laugh when he (imitation) the way his grandmother speaks. 33. Our monitor said, “The plan (discuss) now must be kept as a secret for the time being.” 34. It was reported that last week the film frightened some children to (die) 35. I like to listen to classical music much better than (watch) television. imitates being discussed death to watch __________ _____________ _____. _______
(1) L-B P3-task1-1 Task 1 Directions: After reading the following advertisement, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered 36 through 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C), and D). You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre. Part Ⅲ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your reading ability There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials and do the tasks as you are instructed.
(1) L-B P3-task1-2 Really? Aspirin （ 阿司匹林药片 ） is so safe that doctors recommend( 推荐 ) it to millions of people to use regularly. It is so safe that doctors say people on an aspirin treatment( 治疗 ) can take more for pain. And studies prove most can take GOODNIGHT Aspirin without fear of stomach upset( 肠胃不适 ). Really! A powerful pain reliever ( 缓解药 ) and so much more, Aspirin is safe to use so long as you read the label and follow directions.
(1) L-B P3-task1-3 The main effect of aspirin is __________. 36. A) to make people ready for any treatment B) to help the patient feel happy from day to day C) to have no fear of any disease D) to relieve the patient’s pain The word GOODNIGHT in the advertisement is likely to be the name of ___________. 37. A) a brand B) a doctor C) a hospital D) a patient KEY
(1) L-B P3-task1-4 The side effect （副作用） of aspirin is generally thought to cause __________. 38. A) headache B) heart disease C) stomach upset D) high blood pressure The purpose of the advertisement is to ______________. 39. A) let people know something about aspirin B) tell people that it is safe to use aspirin C) ask people to use aspirin for all kinds of diseases D ) persuade people to take aspirin as often as possible KEY
(1) L-B P3-task1-5 The above advertisement tells us the following EXCEPT that _________. 40. A) aspirin is used to treat headache B) doctors like to recommend aspirin to patients C) a large number of people are advised to take aspirin D) all patients can take aspirin because of its safety KEY
(1) L-B P3-task2-1 Task 2 Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 through 45. Note: The following information is a tourist guide ( 游客指南 ). GARDEN RESTAURANT Telephone: 23506269 Address: 792 Winston Street Open -Mon. to Fri. 9:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m. and 5:00 -11:00 p.m. Sat. and Sun. 10:00 a.m. -2:30 p.m. and 4:30 -11:30 p.m.
(1) L-B P3-task2-2 HISTORY MUSEUM Telephone: 65698007 Address: 7984 Greenwich Road Open -Mon. to Fri. 9:00 a.m. -4:30 p.m. (Monday free) Sat. 9:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m. INTERNATIONAL PARK SHOPPING CENTER Telephone: 95661279 Address: 1200 Park Road Open -Mon. Tues. & Wed. 10:00 a.m. -6:00 p.m. Thu. & Sun. 9:30 a.m. -7:00 p.m. Fri. & Sat. 9:30 a.m. -9:00 p.m.
(1) L-B P3-task2-4 BOOK STORE Telephone: 52118976 Address: 6321 Dickens Road Open -Mon. to Thu. 9:30 a.m. -5:30 p.m. Fri. Sat. & Sun. 9:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m. HOLIDAY INN HOTEL Telephone: 68721192 Address: 3500 London Road Open -The Hangar Den -Wed. to Sun. Dinner from 5:00 p.m. Café -Mon. to Fri. from 7:00 a.m.; Sat. 8:00 a.m.; Sun.8:30 a.m. Mon. to Thu. to 10:30 p.m. Fri. to Sun to 11:30 p.m.
(1) L-B P3-task2-5 If you want to buy a new jacket, you have to go to ____________. 41. A) 6321 Dickens Road B) 3500 London Road C) 792 Winston Street D) 1200 Park Road If you want to buy A Tale of Two Cities 《 双城记 》, you should go to ____________________________. 42. A) 6321 Dickens Road B) 3500 London Road C) 792 Winston Street D) 7984 Greenwich Road KEY
(1) L-B P3-task2-6 You don’t have to pay on Monday if you go to ___________________. 43. A) The Book Store B) The Garden Restaurant C) The History Museum D) The International Park Shopping Center If you want to go out for dinner on Saturday, you can call up the number ____________________________. 44. A) 68721192 or 52118976 B) 95661279 or 23506269 C) 68721192 or 23506269 D) 65698007 or 95661279 KEY
(1) L-B P3-task2-7 If you want to enjoy yourself on Sunday mornings, you can go to _______________. 45. A) The International Park Shopping Center B) The Café C) The Hangar Den D) The History Museum KEY
(1) L-B P3-task3-1 Task 3 Directions: After reading the following passage, you are required to complete the outline below it (No. 46 through No. 50). You should write your answers in no more than 3 words on the Answer Sheet correspondingly. Dear Brian Store Customer, We hope you enjoyed books and other items included in our catalogue （目 录）.Whether you are a teacher, trainer or parent, we are sure you will find hundreds of valuable teaching and learning resources （资源） here. When your decisions are made, we will do the rest. We accept orders by mail, phone, fax, and online at www.webstore.com. Based on available stock （库存）, your order will be delivered within two business days.
(1) L-B P3-task3-2 Since we are personally committed （承诺） to your total satisfaction, any Brian Store product sold is guaranteed for 90 days. Please call 800-112-5534 for additional information. Our friendly Customer Service Office is to answer all of your questions. Feel free to call us between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.,standard time, Monday through Friday or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about a Book Store Name of the book store: (46) Delivery period: within (47) Orders can be accepted by: (48) (49) fax and online at www.webstore.com Guarantee period: (50) Brian Store two business days mail phone 90 days __________ ______________ _________ _______
(1) L-B P3-task4-1 Task 4 Directions: The following is brief TV schedule published in a newspaper. After reading it, you are required to find out the time for the programs given in Chinese below it. You should write your answers in the brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 through 55. CCTV-2 Channel 12 01:30 China Business News 09:30 Road to Health 11:10 China’s Minority Nationalities 13:40 Economy 30 Minutes 18:00 China Music TV 60 Minutes
(1) L-B P3-task4-2 CCTV-5 Channel 2 09:55 Olympic Games Men’s Basketball Final 11:00 Olympic Games Track and Field Events 19:45 Olympic Games Special 22:09 2003 National Day Evening Party 22:57 Olympic Games Women’s Volleyball Final CCTV-6 Channel 6 09:00 Chinese Movie: Fatal Decision 11:30 US Movie 14:00 Chinese Documentary 20:00 Weekend Movie 22:30 Chinese Movie: The Hero
(1) L-B P3-task4-3 CCTV-7 Channel 8 09:40 Film: Daughter of the Sea 14:00 Olympic Games Men’s Tennis Single Final 15:50 21- part serial: I Want to Have a Home (3) 16:37 TV drama: Zhou Enlai 18:00 Olympic Games Women’s Table Tennis Double Final Shanghai TV (Satellite) 11:00 TV film: World of Tea 13:30 Chinese Movie: The Kunlun Mountain 19:35 Saturday Show 21:25 Shanghai News and Weather 22:00 Movie: War and Peace
(1) L-B P3-task5-1 Task 5 Directions: After reading the following RESUMÉ, you should give brief answers to the 5 questions (No. 56 through No. 60) following it. You should write your answers on the Answer Sheet correspondingly. NAME: Huang Haibin BIRTH: April 20, 1945, Shanghai, PRC MARITAL STATUS: Wife and two sons EDUCATION: Beijing University, Department of English, B.A. (Sept. 1964-July 1968) Shanghai Yu Cai Middle School, diploma (Sept. 1961-July 1964) Shanghai Xu Hui Middle School, diploma (Sept. 1958-July 1961) Shanghai No.1 Primary School, diploma (Sept. 1952-July 1958)
(1) L-B P3-task5-2 PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND: Associate Professor, Shanghai Normal University (Aug. 1982-Date) Lecturer, Beijing University (Aug. 1968-July 1982) PBULICATIONS: How to Teach English Reading. High Education Press, Beijing, 1992. The Characteristics of Dickens’ Novels. Foreign Language Monthly, Beijing, Vol. X, No. 3, pp.32-35. MEMBERSHIPS: Chairman, Shanghai Association of Translation, PRC (Jan. 1998-Date) HOBBIES: Swimming, computing. REFERENCES: Liu Ming, Professor, Department of English, Shanghai Normal University, PRC
(1) L-B P3-task5-3 56. When and where was Mr. Huang Haibin born? 57. From which university did he graduate? 58. What title does have he at Shanghai Normal University? 59. When and where did he publish his book? 60. With whom can you consult if you want to know more about Mr Huang Haibin? April 20, 1945, Shanghai, PRC. Beijing University. Associate professor. High Education Press, Beijing, 1992. Liu Ming, Professor, Department of English, Shanghai Normal University, PRC. ____________________________________ _______________________ _____________________________ __________________________________________________
(1) L-B 0.5 0 1 2 ( ) P4-1 61. I cannot but admit that it is a wise decision. Part Ⅳ Translation － English into Chinese (15 minutes) Directions: This part, numbered 61 to 65, is to test your ability to translate English into Chinese. Each of the four sentences (No. 61 to No. 64) is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B), C) and D). Make the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet. Write your translation of the paragraph (No. 65) in the corresponding space on the Translation/Composition Sheet. A) 但是我不能承认那是一个聪明的决定。 B) 我不得不承认那是个明智的决定。 C) 我不得只不承认那是个明智的决定 D) 但是我不得不承认那是一个聪明的决定。
(1) L-B P4-2 62. We all believe that Tom is anything but honest. A) 我们都认为汤姆是极为诚实的。 B) 我们都相信汤姆除了诚实都不错。 C) 我们都认为汤姆极为不诚实。 D) 我们都相信汤姆有些不诚实。 2 0 0.5 1 63. Much as I’d like to help, there is not a lot I can do. A) 尽管我想帮许多忙，但我没有许多事可做。 B) 我能帮许多忙，但没有努力去做。 C) 我喜欢帮许多忙，但没有许多事我会做。 D) 尽管我很愿意帮忙，但能做的事却不多。 0.5 1 0 2 ( )
(1) L-B P4-3 64. If your bike was stolen last week, why haven’t you reported it missing until now? A ) 如果你的自行车是上周被偷的，为什么你直到现在才报失呢？ B) 如果你上周偷了自行车，为什么你到现在还不自首呢？ C) 如果你的自行车是上周被偷的，为什么到现在还不见报道呢？ D) 如果你的自行车是上周被偷的，你为什么现在还不报失呢？ 0.5 2 0 1 ( )
(1) L-B P4-4 65. Dear Mr. Jones, Mr. Smith of the Foreign Language Department has just rung you up saying that he will be expecting you in his office at ten tomorrow morning. Please give him a ring if this time does not suit you. Mary 琼斯先生： 外语系史密斯先生刚才来电话说，明天上午 10 点他在办公室等您。如果这个时间不 合适，请给他回电。 玛丽
(1) L-B P5-1 Part Ⅴ Writing (15 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write an Invitation Letter according to the following instructions given in Chinese. Remember to write the letter in no less than 80 words on the Translation/Composition Sheet. 内容：以约翰的名义给琼斯写一封邀请信。邀请她 2 月 10 日，下周五晚上 6 点 30 分 到假日酒店参加他们孩子的生日晚宴。 写信日期： 2004 年 2 月 4 日 Words for reference: 假日酒店 Holiday Inn; 晚宴 dinner party
(1) L-B P5-2 February 4th, 2004 Dear Jones, Barbara and I are planning a dinner party to celebrate our baby’s birth on Friday, February 10th, at 6:30 p.m., Holiday Inn. We do hope you can make it as we are looking forward with great pleasure to seeing you. Yours, John