Presentation on theme: "Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology Metropolis Conference March 13, 2014 Rick Tachuk, CCTT."— Presentation transcript:
Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology Metropolis Conference March 13, 2014 Rick Tachuk, CCTT
Why Alternative Career Pathways? Alternative Career Pathways enable individuals to put their transferable skills and experience to work in fields applicable to their professional training.
Where May Alternative Pathways Apply? Alternative Pathways may be applied to a wide range of related professions that share similar qualifications and skills – e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Accounting, Law & Engineering and Engineering Technology The two are closely related ….but different ….
In Canada …the Engineering Team Includes: Professional Engineers Technologists Technicians All three professions are involved in Engineering but at varying levels
Team Roles and Responsibilities Professional Engineers Are required by law to assume professional responsibility for the design, research and development, commissioning, and field review and construction of engineering projects. Technologists Apply theoretical and practical methods to design, plan, develop, test, manufacture, construct, install, commission, engineered products, processes, systems and services. Technicians Assist with the design, development, manufacturing, testing, construction, installation, commission, operation and maintenance of engineered products, processes, systems &services.
23 Engineering 14 Technology DisciplinesDisciplines ( Regulated Profession)(Non-Regulated) Agricultural Biochemical Biomedical Biosystems Chemical Civil Computer Engineering Electrical Engineering Environmental Forest Geological Geomatics Industrial Marine Mechanical Metallurgical Mining and Mineral Processing Naval Architecture Petroleum Physics Software Engineering Structural Bioscience Building Chemical Civil Electrical Electronics Geomatics Industrial Information Instrumentation Mechanical Mineral Petroleum Renewable Resources
Why are Alternative Careers Important? It is estimated that approximately 10 percent of new arrivals to Canada with engineering experience actually obtain a professional license. What happens to the other 90 percent?
Exploring Alternative Careers CCTT’s New On-Line Engineering Career Pathway Tool links Engineering with Technology Accessible from the Canadian Technology Immigration Network web portal www.ctin.cawww.ctin.ca Linked to the Engineers Canada IEG Roadmap
A Civil Engineering Pathway Leads To … Technologist OccupationsTechnician Occupations Civil Engineering TechnologistCivil Engineering Technician Construction ManagerConstruction Engineering Technician Construction EstimatorConstruction Inspector Land Survey TechnologistLand Survey Technician Municipal Engineering TechnologistMunicipal Engineering Technician Structural Design TechnologistMaterials Testing Technician Structural InvestigatorHighways Technician Architectural Design TechnologistBridge Design Technician Building Engineering TechnologistBuilding Engineering Technician Water Treatment Technician Soil Mechanics Technician Urban and Regional Planner Architectural Design Technician
A Geological Engineering Pathway Leads to … Technologist OccupationsTechnician Occupations Geological TechnologistGeological Technician Petroleum TechnologistPetroleum Technician Mining TechnologistMining Technician Metallurgical TechnologistMetallurgical Technician Mineral TechnologistSeismic Survey Technician Geophysical TechnologistPetrology Technician Marine Geoscience TechnologistGroundwater Technician Rock Mechanics Technician Reservoir Engineering Technician
Multiple Paths May Link to the Same Occupation Start atOr Start AtLeads to Eng. Discipline TechnologistTechnician MechanicalElectricalElectromechanicalRobotics GeologicalMetallurgicalMarine GeoscienceRock Mechanics BiosystemsChemicalBiotechnologyIndustrial Hygiene StructuralCivilStructural AnalysisMaterials testing BiomedicalChemicalBiochemistryFood Processing AgriculturalBiosystemsAgrologyBotanical PetroleumGeologicalPetroleumPetrology MiningMetallurgicalMining GeomaticsForestPhotogrammetricRemote Sensing
Access Relevant Occupational Profiles Each Occupational Profile Provides … An Occupation Overview Typical Duties and Responsibilities Educational Requirements NOC Classification and Links to WIC
Occupational Profiles Help Determine Has a candidates training included such tasks? Would he or she be competent to engage in such duties? Are they interested in this career? How one should promote their valuable skills and experience to potential employers.
Alternative Career Pathways Can Provide A shorter path to employment A rewarding and lucrative career Canadian experience in related to field A bridge to professional licensure in Engineering or Technology
Explore the World of Pathways Visit www.engineeringcareerpathways.ca
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.