Presentation on theme: "Surface Areas of Prisms and Cylinders To find the surface area of a prism and a cylinder. Students will define, explicitly use, and solve for the terms."— Presentation transcript:
Surface Areas of Prisms and Cylinders To find the surface area of a prism and a cylinder. Students will define, explicitly use, and solve for the terms “lateral area” and “surface area” for cylinders and prisms.
11-2 Quiz The following questions are designed to help you determine how well you understood today’s lesson. Please take time to ask questions if you miss one and don’t know why! Record the number you get right on your portfolio sheet 17
1. 1. Use formulas to find the lateral area of the given prism. Show your answer to the nearest whole number. A. A. 468 m 2 B. B. 519 m 2 C. C. 512 m 2 D. D. 504 m 2
2. 2. A jewelry store buys small boxes in which to wrap items that they sell. The diagram below shows one of the boxes. Find the surface area of the box to the nearest whole number. A. A. 90 cm 2 B. B. 146 cm 2 C. C. 206 cm 2 D. D. 181 cm 2
3. 3. Find the surface area of the cylinder in terms of . A. A. 688 in. 2 B. B. 304 in. 2 C. C. 176 in. 2 D. D. 208 in. 2
4. 4. The radius of the base of a cylinder is 28 cm and its height is 48 cm. Find the surface area of the cylinder in terms of . A. A. 4332 cm 2 B. B. 4256 cm 2 C. C. 4208 cm 2 D. D. 4228 cm 2
5. 5. Allison is planning to cover the lateral surface of a large cylindrical garbage can with decorative fabric for a theme party. The can has a diameter of 3 feet and a height of 3.5 feet. How much fabric does she need? Round to the nearest square foot. (consider both inside and out) A. A. 123 ft 2 B. B. 61 ft 2 C. C. 33 ft 2 D. D. 66 ft 2
ASSIGNMENT 11-2 p.704-706 #8-38 even Be sure to RATE your understanding of the lesson 4-3-2-1-0 after you finish it AND give me one complete sentence as to why you rated yourself that way then summarize what the lesson was about in a sentence or two.