Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

American History Syllabus and Grading Procedures Mr. Callaghan.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "American History Syllabus and Grading Procedures Mr. Callaghan."— Presentation transcript:

1 American History Syllabus and Grading Procedures Mr. Callaghan

2 Course Description  In American History, we will explore the growth and development of the U.S. from the early Americans to the present. We will explore together the traditions of our great American Heritage and Ideals.

3 Course Requirements  American History Student Notebook:  (See your Notebook Guidelines handout)  American History Student Notebook:  (See your Notebook Guidelines handout)

4 Tests and Quizzes  Terms quizzes will be given during each chapter  Longer, more extensive tests will be given following each unit.  A final exam will be given following each semester  Your American History Notebook will be very helpful in preparing for these assessments  Terms quizzes will be given during each chapter  Longer, more extensive tests will be given following each unit.  A final exam will be given following each semester  Your American History Notebook will be very helpful in preparing for these assessments

5 Grading Procedures  In order to determine your progress in this course, points will accumulate throughout the semester. To receive credit, a minimum of 70% of the total number of possible points are necessary.  =A, 92-85=B, 84-77=C, 76-70=D  In order to determine your progress in this course, points will accumulate throughout the semester. To receive credit, a minimum of 70% of the total number of possible points are necessary.  =A, 92-85=B, 84-77=C, 76-70=D

6 Grading/Homework Policies  If you miss a quiz or test, it is your responsibility to come in and make it up!  Notebooks--Points will be deducted for notebooks turned in late  Late, turned in day it is due--5% total points  Turned in next day, not our class day--10% total points  Turned in next actual class period--15% total points  After this point, the notebook will be worth no more than half of the total points.  If you miss a quiz or test, it is your responsibility to come in and make it up!  Notebooks--Points will be deducted for notebooks turned in late  Late, turned in day it is due--5% total points  Turned in next day, not our class day--10% total points  Turned in next actual class period--15% total points  After this point, the notebook will be worth no more than half of the total points.

7 Grading Policies, continued  Failing to turn in or make up work is not acceptable. If after school detentions become necessary to get notebooks and other work done, they will be assigned.  A zero is much worse than an F and should and will be avoided at all costs.  Failing to turn in or make up work is not acceptable. If after school detentions become necessary to get notebooks and other work done, they will be assigned.  A zero is much worse than an F and should and will be avoided at all costs.

8 Grading Policies, continued  All assignments should be done neatly and thoroughly. Please ask when you have questions.  I am available after class, or before or after schools.  All assignments should be done neatly and thoroughly. Please ask when you have questions.  I am available after class, or before or after schools.

9 Classroom Procedures/Expectations  Students are expected to be to class and in their assigned seats when the bell rings. Failure to do so will result in a tardy.  You will have two warnings, and on the third tardy, a detention will be assigned. Failure to serve the detention will result in an office detention. Parents will also be notified. If the tardiness continues, other detentions will continue to be assigned as well as a conference with Mr. Gutschow.  Students are expected to be to class and in their assigned seats when the bell rings. Failure to do so will result in a tardy.  You will have two warnings, and on the third tardy, a detention will be assigned. Failure to serve the detention will result in an office detention. Parents will also be notified. If the tardiness continues, other detentions will continue to be assigned as well as a conference with Mr. Gutschow.

10 Classroom Procedures  I understand that at times you may need to use the restroom or go to your locker. This should be RARE. You are expected to take care of business during passing periods and bring all materials to class.

11 Restroom/Locker Pass Procedure  If you must use the pass, the procedure is:  Each student may use the pass 5 times each semester.  Glue your hall pass into your notebook and you will have me check each off as you use it. If you don’t have your notebook, it will take two passes, one to get your notebook and one for the restroom/locker.  If you use all of your passes, but must go anyway, you will need to make up 10 minutes after school with me  If you do not use all of your passes, they will each be worth 5 extra credit points at the end of the semester  If you must use the pass, the procedure is:  Each student may use the pass 5 times each semester.  Glue your hall pass into your notebook and you will have me check each off as you use it. If you don’t have your notebook, it will take two passes, one to get your notebook and one for the restroom/locker.  If you use all of your passes, but must go anyway, you will need to make up 10 minutes after school with me  If you do not use all of your passes, they will each be worth 5 extra credit points at the end of the semester

12 Course Outline  1st Semester  August/Sep.--Founding Ideals, Colonies, Independence, The Constitution  October--The New Nation, The Civil War  November--Reconstruction, Westward Expansion  December--Industrial Revolution, Immigration, Progressive Movement (group project)  1st Semester  August/Sep.--Founding Ideals, Colonies, Independence, The Constitution  October--The New Nation, The Civil War  November--Reconstruction, Westward Expansion  December--Industrial Revolution, Immigration, Progressive Movement (group project)

13 Course Outline, continued  2nd Semester  January--Spanish American War, America Becomes a World Power, WWI  February--Great Depression  March--WWII, Origins of the Cold War  April--Cold War Expands, The Fifties (group project)  May--The Sixties, Vietnam War, The Seventies, The Eighties, and Present America  2nd Semester  January--Spanish American War, America Becomes a World Power, WWI  February--Great Depression  March--WWII, Origins of the Cold War  April--Cold War Expands, The Fifties (group project)  May--The Sixties, Vietnam War, The Seventies, The Eighties, and Present America

14 Final thoughts  If you are having trouble with this class or have questions concerning anything, please see me as soon as you can. If you wait too long it can become too late. It is important that you begin right now with a steady, consistent effort. You have the chance right now to earn whatever grade you choose.  If you or your parents need to contact me:   Phone:  Go to my web page if you miss class!  If you are having trouble with this class or have questions concerning anything, please see me as soon as you can. If you wait too long it can become too late. It is important that you begin right now with a steady, consistent effort. You have the chance right now to earn whatever grade you choose.  If you or your parents need to contact me:   Phone:  Go to my web page if you miss class!


Download ppt "American History Syllabus and Grading Procedures Mr. Callaghan."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google