Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

School-Based Practice Indiana Licensure Deborah R. Harman, MAT, CCC-SLP ISHA President 8-10-07.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "School-Based Practice Indiana Licensure Deborah R. Harman, MAT, CCC-SLP ISHA President 8-10-07."— Presentation transcript:

1 School-Based Practice Indiana Licensure Deborah R. Harman, MAT, CCC-SLP ISHA President 8-10-07

2 Indiana Licensure There are 2 licenses available to Speech Language Pathologists in Indiana. As a post July 2005 graduate of a graduate program in Communication Disorders, you MUST hold both of these licenses to practice in Indiana schools.

3 Certification Licensure is NOT the same as certification. Indiana does not certify SLPs. ASHA certifies SLPs. CCC means Certificate of Clinical Competence

4 Only 2 Public Agencies License SLPs in Indiana The Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE)

5 Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) The IPLA has many professional licensure boards Our licensure board is called the Speech- Language Pathology and Audiology Licensure Board The IPLA supports the work of the SLPA board by providing them a director, legal advice, and a staff to manage manage the business of licensing SLPs and Auds across all work settings.

6 Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) The IDOE has many Divisions and Boards. The Division of Professional Standards (DPS) is advised the Advisory Board of the Division of Professional Standards regarding licensure. The IDOE directs the board, recommends policy and practices, and manages the licensure of ALL educators (administrators, teachers, and school service personnel).

7 Indiana Speech-Language Hearing Association ISHA provides information to the Speech- Language Pathology and Audiology Board. ISHA provides information to the Indiana Department of Education. ISHA uses ASHA as a resource.

8 To summarize… For school practice you need 2 licenses. 1 license is issued by the IPLA’s SLPA Board 1 license is issued by the IDOE’ Division of Professional Standards.

9 How do you get each license? For post 2005 graduates of programs in Communication Disorders… Obtaining the IDOE license is contingent upon either being registered with the IPLA as a Clinical Fellow, or holding a current IPLA license as a Speech-Language Pathologist.

10 Step 1 Finish Graduate School Register with ASHA as a Clinical Fellow Register with the IPLA as a Clinical Fellow TIONS_2007.pdf TIONS_2007.pdf

11 Thanks to ISHA and Key Indiana Legislators… During the 2007 Legislative Session HB 1821 was passed. Allows the IDOE to issue teaching licenses to Clinical Fellows. A seamless process for the IDOE to license Clinical Fellows is now in place.

12 Step 2 Go to: info.html info.html You will find procedures for becoming a licensed Teacher of Communication Disorders (SLP) in Indiana. Your first license will be called an initial practitioner’s license in communication disorders. You will hold an “instructional” license

13 Indiana Mentoring and Assessment Program (IMAP) All beginning teachers must be mentored via the IDOE 2-year IMAP. The Clinical Fellowship IS EQUIVALENT to the IMAP. While completing their IMAP, teachers hold an “initial practitioner” license. While completing your CF, you will hold an “initial practitioner” license as well.

14 Upon completion of your CF… Apply for your IPLA License Once you receive your IPLA license, you may use it to obtain a Proficient Practitioner license from the IDOE (a 5-year license) Complete an Advanced Degree (above Master’s Degree) and earn an “Accomplished Practitioner” license. Apply for the Proficient Practitioner license.

15 Salary Supplement Some school districts offer annual or 1 time salary supplement to teachers holding National Board Certification (NBPTS). In Indiana, the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) is equivalent to NBPTS certification according to the IPLA statute. So, if a teacher with NBPTS certification gets a supplement you get it too if you hold a CCC.

16 Emergency Permits Emergency Permits are now available for Teachers of Communication Disorders (SLPs) These e-permits are only available to school districts (no other setting) An e-permit can only be sought by a Superintendent when a licensed SLP cannot be found to fill a persistent vacancy.

17 Facts about Emergency Permits The holder of an Emergency Permit in Communication Disorders does NOT have a license. ISHA worked to include parameters for the education, scope of practice, and oversight of individuals working under Emergency Permit.

18 Emergency Permit holder must … Have earned a Bachelor’s degree in communication disorders. Be enrolled in a graduate program and have submit an approved plan of study Must have access to a licensed SLP. Must practice within their scope of education and training. Not use the title Speech-Language Pathologist or anything similar.

19 Serve as a resource however… Don’t sign off on Medicaid hours! Don’t neglect your students or teachers. Make sure you display a copy of your license in your office/classroom. You are not a “supervisor”. Encourage use of support personnel in districts with vacancies.

20 3 Types of Support Personnel Speech-Language Associate Holds a 2-Year Associates Degree in Communication Disorders Speech-Language Assistant Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Disorders Speech-Language Aide Needs at least a High School Diploma

21 Support Personnel Must be registered with the IPLA Must be supervised by a licensed SLP E-Permit holder cannot have support person Are limited in their scope of practice Parents must be informed when their child is served by support personnel.

22 Medicaid can be billed if… Appropriate supervision is provided by a certified (CCC) SLP and the service provided by the paraprofessional is within their scope of practice.

23 Any questions? Email Debbie Harman at Call Debbie using the numbers listed in the current ISHA Directory. Also you can… Email Ray Graves at the Indiana Department of Education, Division of Professional Standards at:

24 The Job Interview…ask about… Number of sites and caseloads at each Number and types of special education classes in each school Access to support personnel Policy on professional development Programs and practices for reading instruction

25 And… Plan for implementing Response to Intervention (RTI) Policy on missed sessions Collaboration time in schedule Number of Title I Schools Schools in School Improvement Overall role of the SLP

26 Continue to Network Join your state speech language hearing association Retain your ASHA membership Take student interns Join an ASHA Special Interest Division Attend the ASHA School’s Conference

27 Branch out… Join the International Reading Association Subscribe to Topics in Language Disorders Participate in district-wide professional development initiatives. Attend a School Board Meeting 2-3 times a year.

28 Above All… Work “smart” Embrace change Be positive Enjoy the kids Thanks!!

Download ppt "School-Based Practice Indiana Licensure Deborah R. Harman, MAT, CCC-SLP ISHA President 8-10-07."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google