Presentation on theme: "Milton and Blandford Deanery Strategy and Action Plan 2011."— Presentation transcript:
Milton and Blandford Deanery Strategy and Action Plan 2011
Purpose and Revisions The purpose is threefold: to inform the Diocese; to give the Deanery Strategy in 2011 to the Synod and Parishes; to provide an action plan to deliver it. The document will be subject to review and revision at least every 5 years.
Strategy Sections 1.Mission 2.Working together 3.Non-Stipendiary Ordained Ministry (Associate Ministers) 4.Lay Ministers and Staff 5.Every Member Ministry 6.Workplace Ministry 7.Staffing Needs Relating to Parish and Benefice Organisation
Strategy Annexes Annex A - Every Member Ministry – the Rev. Jimmy Hamilton-Brown Annex B – detailed breakdown of Ordained Staff and LLMs Annex C – current map of Benefices in Deanery
Discussion of Strategy Sections Mission* Tim Smith Working together& Shelagh Thomas Non-Stipendiary Ordained Ministry (Associate Ministers) Lay Ministers and Staff * Robin Hungerford Every Member Ministry Workplace Ministry * Jimmy Hamilton-Brown Staffing Needs Relating to Parish and Benefice Organisation * Simon Everett
Strategy 1. Mission- To ensure that God’s mission shapes all that we are and all that we do as a Deanery. Shelagh and Tim will go through the Mission Section
1. Mission To ensure that God’s mission shapes all that we are and all that we do as a Deanery. a.Community Development b.Overseas Links c.Evangelism d.Learning and Nurture for Children and Young People e.Learning and Nurture for Adults
1. Mission a. Community Development
1.Great Dorset Steam Fair 2.‘Open’ Deanery Synod meetings 3.Parish magazines 4.DT11 Forum 5.Dorset Church Trail 6.Scripture Gift Mission Lifewords.
1. Mission b. Overseas Links 1.Funding of Student 2.Educational Link
1. Mission b. Overseas Links Educational Link What is this to achieve? To whom would we link? Who is going to be the focus? What positive and long term help can we be? Would this dilute the aid effort to an individual student?
1. Mission c. Evangelism 1.‘Deanery Doings’ 2.‘Outreach Meals’ 3.Evangelistic Courses 4.Informal Services 5.Fifth Sunday Services 6.Deanery Think Tank
1. Mission c. Evangelism - Evangelistic Courses Emmaus – The Y Course – Christianity Explored – Good News Down The Street – Winterborne Valley Benefice have details.
1. Mission c. Evangelism - Informal Services For: Good introduction to in church worship. More welcoming than traditional Services. Can appeal to all ages. Shorter – does not commit day. Informality - more modern approach. Can be led by lay person so relives ordained staff rota. Against May not be liked by all current congregation. Care has to be taken to include all things to make it a proper service e.g. confession and creed.
1.Mission d. Learning and Nurture for Children and Young People
1.Church Schools 2.Mums and Toddler Groups 3. After-School Clubs 4.The Link Network for Children’s work 5. Chaplaincy to Young People
1. Mission d. Learning and Nurture for Children and Young People- Chaplaincy Identification of “Chaplain” Identification of the schools Agreement of school to accept chaplain Identification of other contact points with children for Parishes without schools.
1. Mission e. Learning and Nurture for Adults
House Groups Lay Learning Network LPA Training Lay Worship Leaders E.learning Marriage Preparation
2.Working Together Cross-Benefice Cooperation
Days of Prayer and Fasting Deanery Chapter Meetings Deanery Confirmation Service To have a Deanery where all Parishes work together for the mutual benefit of each other and to the greater glory of God.
2.Working Together Cross-Benefice Cooperation Days of Prayer and Fasting Deanery Confirmation Service –Are there any? –How do we get to know about them? –Are they better done at Parish and Benefice level??
3. Non Stipendiary Ordained Ministry 4. Lay Ministers and Staff. Presented by Rev Robin Hungerford
3. Non Stipendiary Ordained Ministry To increase in number, nurture, develop, respect, encourage and equip these ministries.
3. Non Stipendiary Ordained Ministry Associate Ministers: –Non Stipendiary Ministry (NSM) –Ordained Local Ministers (OLM) Retired Ministers
4. Lay Ministers and Staff. To increase in number, nurture, develop, respect, encourage and equip these ministries.
4. Lay Ministers and Staff. Licensed Lay Ministers (LLM) - formerly Sarum Readers) Lay Pastoral Assistants (LPA) Church Wardens Parochial Church Council (PCC) and Officers. Less formally trained leaders for activities such as Lay Worship Leaders & Home Group Leaders.
5. Every Member Ministry 6. Workplace Ministry Presented by Rev Jimmy Hamilton Brown “I am afraid there is more to being a Bishop than owning your own hat!”
5. Every Member Ministry For all to recognise the potential in one another for ministry and to encourage it.
THE MINISTRY OF ALL CHRISTIANS JESUS STARTED IT! 1. He chose 12 to train and work with him. Luke Later he sent out 72 to preach, teach and heal Luke They discovered it actually worked! Luke 10 17
THE EARLY CHURCH CARRIED ON IN THIS WAY! I Corinthians Every Christian is called and empowered by the Spirit for ministry (not leadership!) The result however can be somewhat disorganised!
THIS CONTINUES TO DEVELOP In Ephesians 4 12 Christ chooses Apostles, Pastors, Teachers etc to equip ALL Christians for ministry at home, work, community etc.
EVERY CHURCH NEEDS LEADERS! PASTORAL EPISTLES (1 & 2 Timothy, Titus) People are called to be presbyter/bishops and deacons
LATER ON THE BISHOP Becomes the focus of church life. (Ignatius) ordaining priests and deacons. The ministry of all tends to disappear! This tradition continues at the Reformation. (see BCP)
TODAY MANY CLERGY FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE ! The way we were taught. Expectations. We like helpers. – to deal with the five F’s – fabric, finance, faculties, flowers & fetes Feel Threatened. Ecclesiastical structures.
AT LAST CHURCH IS REDISCOVERING EVERY MEMBER MINISTRY from being clergy dominated “Too many cooks spoil the broth” and back to JESUS & the NT “Many hands make light work”
7. Staffing Needs relating to Parish and Benefice Organization Presented by The Rural Dean
7. Staffing Needs relating to Parish and Benefice Organization To keep under constant review the allocation of Stipendiary and non- Stipendiary ministers in the light of national and Diocesan levels of personnel and resources.
7. Staffing Needs relating to Parish and Benefice Organization a. Staffing b. Rural Dean
Milton and Blandford Deanery Strategy and Action Plan 2011 Questions??