Presentation on theme: "Dubuque Landmarks By Mrs. Stoll’s Third Grade Class Click on the home button to return back to this page. Use the arrows to move forward and backward in."— Presentation transcript:
Dubuque Landmarks By Mrs. Stoll’s Third Grade Class Click on the home button to return back to this page. Use the arrows to move forward and backward in the presentation.
Town Clock In 1864 the Town Clock was built on the John Bell and Company store but collapsed killing two women and one child. In 1873 they built a new Town Clock and put it on Sullivan Stampfer store but they took it down because of safety hazards. They relocated it to Town Clock Plaza where it is located today. They built it because it was very accurate and people didn’t have watches back then. Today they use it for concerts, festivals, and is a tourist attraction. Ely Duccini
William M. Black Titan Feeney It was a steam-powered side wheeler used for dredging operations. Today she is part of the Mississippi River Museum. It is used for tours today. The William M. Black looks like three other boats called sister boats. The Black was named for the Chief of the United States Army Corps of Engineers following WW ll. Dubuque was competing for the boat and won because they had big plans to turn it into a museum.
The Old Jail Toni Jackson The Old Jail was built in It was built to hold prisoners. There were 3 tiers of cells and it functioned as a jail until It is used as a museum and has a light and sound show of the “Hanging of Patrick O’Connor.” It cost $40,000 to build. In 1874, six cells were added for women and children. It is open Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Mathias Ham House Ryder Koch Mathias Ham House was built in The Mathias Ham House historic site is open Wednesday through Sunday from Memorial Day through Labor Day. The hours are 11am to 4pm.It is also available for field trips, group visits, and private group functions. He had a log cabin on his land. On the 4th of July they have people show us what they had to do. It is a museum.
Julien Dubuque Monument Nathan Meyer Julien Dubuque died and the Mesquakie Indians buried him. They buried him with Tribal Honors and built a stone tower with windows so his soul could be released. The grave is located in the Mines of Spain Recreation Area. It is a historical area where you can go on hikes, see the river, enjoy nature, visit the grave or have a picnic. In 1778, Julien Dubuque got permission to mine lead in the Mines of Spain from the Indians. They named our town after Julien Dubuque. Dubuque was the first city in Iowa to be named.
Fenelon Place Elevator Ramone Miles It was built in June, It took him so long to go up and down the bluff, Mr. Graves decided to build the cable car to make his travel shorter. It is a tourist attraction that people can still ride today. In 1977, the cable cars were completely rebuilt. It costs $1.50 one-way for adults and $0.75 for children. It is open from April 1 to November 30.
Shot Tower Van Miller The Shot Tower was built in It was built to make lead bullets for the war. They make lead bullets by taking liquid lead to the top and drop it and it turns them into perfect metal balls. Some people use it for a tourist attraction. It is the only Shot Tower west of the Mississippi. It’s 120 feet tall.
Lock and Dam #11 Charles Pempilton The Lock and Dam #11 was built September 30, 1937 to help stop floods. The Lock and Dam #11 is located north of Dubuque, Iowa on the upper Mississippi River. It was name after General Zebulon Pike. Eagles like to build their nests at the Lock and Dam because the water is so warm that the eagles can dive down and eat fish.
Grand Opera House Ariella Rode The Opera House was built in It was built for Broadway shows, entertainment and for new shows. It is used for plays, music concerts, the symphony and orchestra. The Opera House is the largest theater ever built in the city. It cost $65,000 to build the theater. The Grand Opera House closed in 1930 for remodeling.
Old Jail Museum Anton Scales The Old Jail Museum was built in 1857 for $40,000. It was built for people to go to jail. It used to be a jail for criminals. Today you can take a tour of the Old Jail Museum. It’s open Wednesday through Sunday from 11am to 4 pm Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Ice Harbor The Ice Harbor was built in the late 1990’s. It was built to redevelop the historic Ice Harbor into a museum campus capturing the historic, environment, educational and recreational majesty of the Mississippi River. Residents and visitors can enjoy a stroll on the Mississippi Riverwalk and watch river boats come and go. It hosts many festivals such as America’s River Festival and Taste of Dubuque. There’s a waterpark at the Grand Harbor down there. It was a major place for boat building in the 19 th century. Jaylen Stratton
Eagle Point Park Paradise Webb Eagle Point Park is one of the most outstanding parks in the Midwest. One hundred sixty-four acres over look the Mississippi River and Lock and Dam 11, providing a beautiful view of Iowa and Illinois. The park is good for picnics and to see the Mississippi River, play, have fun, walk your dogs and get exercise. You can see the leaves change in the spring. You can play horseshoes or tennis. The park is located in the northeast corner of the city. There are a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the park.
Red Stone Inn Shala Webster The Red Stone Inn was built in Elizabeth Cooper built it for her dad as a wedding gift. They turned it into a duplex. They lived on one side while getting income from the other side. It is a bed and breakfast with a Victorian décor that people can stay at. It was a popular nightspot in the early 1970’s. There are 15 rooms available with jacuzzis in some rooms. It’s one of the last buildings that Cooper built.
Ham House Kyren Jurisic Mathis Ham used it as a home for his family and his servants in It is used as a historical site recreates what life was like during that time at the lead mines, Settler’s log cabin, and school house. The house served as a hospital at a time. The building offered as a museum.
Fenelon Place Elevator Alex White It was built in Mr. Graves liked to take half an hour for his lunch, then a half an hour nap but this was impossible because of the long ride from downtown to the top of the bluff. He built the elevator so it wouldn’t take so long. People can still ride it today. It is open April 1 to November 30. It is the world’s shortest, steepest scenic railway. It is 296 feet long. You can see the elevator go up and down.
Carnegie Stout Public Library Jazmine Carter The Carnegie Stout Public Library was built in 1902 for the use of a free public library and a place to hold meetings. Today The Carnegie Stout Public Library is used for: Programs for children and teens. Reading groups. Internet access. Homework help. Story time. Tours Book, magazine, movie and music check out. Interesting Facts It was put on the National Register of Historic Places on August 1,1975. It was the first building in Dubuque to be on the LEED. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. More marble was used in the U.S than in the Roman Empire in its entire history.