21. Labor New Deal Laws & Agencies Lasting Effects 1. Wagner Act Labor unions can organize & collectively bargain2. Fair Labor Standards ActStandards for labor & hours3. National Labor Relations BoardGovernment intervention in labor disputes
32. Agriculture & Rural Life New Deal Laws & AgenciesLasting Effects1. Agriculture Adj. ActAid to farmers2. Soil Conservation & Domestic Allotment ActUse fields intelligently3. Tennessee Valley AuthorityBuilt and repaired dams4. Rural Electrification Adm.Rural electricity5. Public Utilities Holding Co.Government regulates rates
43. Banking & Finance New Deal Laws & Agencies Lasting Effects 1. Glass-Steagall Banking Act of 1933Established the FDIC2. Federal Securities ActRequired corps. to provide complete information on all stock offerings3. Securities & Exchange CommissionGovernment supervision of stock market
54. Social Welfare 1. Social Security Act Unemployment insurance New Deal Laws & AgenciesLasting Effects1. Social Security Actold-age pensionUnemployment insurancedependents and disabled
65. Environment New Deal Laws & Agencies Lasting Effects 1. CCC Built and protected parks & beaches2. Soil Conservation ServicePrevent floods and dust storms
75. Environment New Deal Laws & Agencies Lasting Effects TVA Prevent FloodsTaylor Grazing ActProtect public lands
8Supporters of the New Deal The New Deal and Government kept capitalism alive and prevented socialism. The New Deal brought hope and gratitude. The New Deal protected many people from dying.
9Critics of the New DealConservatives believe the government became too large and powerful. Government stifled free enterprise and individual initiative. Liberals think the New Deal did not close the gap between rich and poor. Taxes were too high and created a federal deficit.