Presentation on theme: "BUSINESS ENGLISH LISTENING (Level One). Transcripts of the model test 5 6.Man: The flight has been delayed, we’ll miss our connection in Atlanta. "— Presentation transcript:
BUSINESS ENGLISH LISTENING (Level One)
Transcripts of the model test 5 6.Man: The flight has been delayed, we’ll miss our connection in Atlanta. Woman: In that case, we’ll have to take the next one and have a three-hour wait. Questions: What do you learn from this conversation?
7. Woman : Did you ask Peter when we can get together to talk about this? Man: Yes. I saw him yesterday and he said the 13th of May is the earliest time to meet us. Questions: When can Peter meet the speakers?
8. Woman : Do you know what time you’ll be arriving ? Man: They are taking the eight o’clock flight from San Francisco so they should be here around eleven. Questions: When can they get in?
9. Woman : Do you know that Vincent is leaving the company in July. Who’s going to replace his position? Man: I don’t know, why don’t you apply? Questions: What does the man suggest?
10.Man: Will you have time to visit the British Museum while you’re here? Woman: I ‘m going to be in meeting on both Tuesday and Wednesday and I’ll only be free on Thursday morning. I don’t think I can afford the time. Questions: When will the woman be free?
11. Woman : Did you check the invoice from the store? I think they may have overcharged us. Man: I had a look this morning and they billed us for three printers but we only ordered two. Questions: What is the problem?
12. Woman : Can you tell me why you wanted to change your previous job? Man: Well, working on an assembly line is too boring.. Questions:Where does this conversation take place?
13.Man: Have you got any question? Woman: Yes, I’d like to know when we are supposed to complete the whole project. Questions: What did the woman want to know?
14.Man: I have to take some visitors to lunch. Can you recommend a good restaurant? Woman: Well, I always go to Green Bean Restaurant, They serve very good beaf. Questions: What is the restaurant good at?
15.Man: I’m organizing a conference on Thursday, the 18th of May. Can you accommodate 100 people? Woman: Well, let me see. The conference room is free on that day. So there should be no problem. Questions: When will the conference be held?
Man: How much is this radio? Woman: It’s ＄ 15. Man: What about that one? Woman: That one is ＄ 23. Its more expensive but it’s much better than the ＄ 15 one. Man: Can I listen to it? Woman: Yes, of course. Man: It sounds good. Can I ask for a discount? Woman: It depends on the size your purchase. Man: I’d like 20 of them. Woman: Let me see. You can have for ＄ 22 each. Man: what about ＄ 21? Woman: I’m afraid you can’t unless you buy 50. Man: Oh, no. I don’t need so many of them. I only buy them for presents to my relatives. I haven’t got so many relatives. What about 21 doollars 50 cents? Or I ‘ll buy from other seller. Woman: Ok. But you’ll buy it from other sellers. Questions: 16. Which radio did the man want to buy? 17. How much is the agreed price for the radio?
Buying goods from a manufacturer is not just a question of knowing the price. In our business, it’s very important to visit our supplier’s and their factories. Why? First we need to see if the goods are good quality. Second we can show the suppliers that we are really interested in their products. When visiting them we should also compare their prices as well as their quality. Besides we need to learn their manufacturing pricess. If we’re really satisfied with theeir products, we make our final decisions. Bur we often ask for discounts befoe qe actually buy them. We always try to buy the best quality goods at the most reasonable prices.
18. What does the speaker mean by saying “buying goods from a manufacturer is not just a question of knowing the price”? 19. What is the second mentioned reason for visiting suppliers and their factores? 20. What is the final step before they buy things from suppliers?
Make up short dialogues according to the situaitons provided 1)Commodity: Tin Foil Sheets Price : US ＄ 150 per long ton CFR Shanghai Quantity: 50 long tons Payment: by inrrevocable L/C at sight Counter offer: US ＄ 135 per long ton The buyer asks for a 8% reduction in the price. The seller refuses to consider any reduction, but gives a 2% commision. Finally they conclude the business. 2) Qi Jun is talking with Lu Yu about cashmere. Lu Yu is satisfied with the quality of the sample, but not with the price. They finally reach the agreement by reducing the pride by 3%