3Pre-reading What do you know about computer? Can you name some parts of computer?mousekeyboardmonitor
4The history of the computer A huge computerThe history of the computerA PCPalmtop
5In the past, if we wanted to do reading, we had to carry a lot of heavy book. But now we needn’t do it, we only need to surf the Internet. Our life has changed easy!Our life has changed!
6? ( ) Analytical machine(分析机) ( ) Laptop ( ) Calculating machine(计算机器) Can you put these inventions in an orderaccording to the time when they appeared?( ) Analytical machine(分析机)( ) Laptop( ) Calculating machine(计算机器)( ) Robot／android( ) PC( ) Universal machine(通用机器)?
8Skimming: Go over the story to find out who the speaker is Skimming: Go over the story to find out who the speaker is. Write down 3 sentences to support your idea.It is a computer.●I was built as an Analytical Machineby Charles Babbage.”●“My real father was Alan Turing ...”● I was able to share my knowledge with others through the World Wide Web.
92. Who built the first analytical machine? Fast reading1. Who am I ?2. Who built the first analytical machine?3. Who was the next important personto design computers?I am a computer.Charles Babbage built the firstanalytical machine.Alan Turing was the next importantperson to design computers.
10Fast-readingWhat’s the main idea of this passage?A. The development of computersB. The development and use of computersC. A machine which is simple-mindedD. Computers may replace human beingB
11How did computers develop? AnalyticalmachineCalculatingmachineUniversalmachine(in 1936)(In 1642)(In 1822)Artificial intelligenceInternetnetwork(In the 1970s)(In the 1960s)
12Careful- reading Read and finish the timeline below. 1642 1822 The analytical machine was made by Charles Babbage.1936The computer began as a calculating machine．The computer grew rapidlyboth in size and in brainpower.
131940sThe first family of computers was connected to each other.1970snowThe computers had grown aslarge as a room.1960sComputers were used inoffices and homes.Computers connect people all over the world together.
14Read and Complete the chart. Paragraph 1Topic sentenceSupporting detailsOver time I have been changed quite a lot.calculating machineanalytical machineuniversal machinePClaptop
15Paragraph 2Topic sentenceSupporting detailsThese changes only became possible as my memoryimprovedtubestransistorschipsnetworkWorld Wide Web
16Paragraph 3Topic sentenceSupporting detailsSince the 1970s many new applications have been found for me.communications; finance;trade; robots; mobile phonesmedical operationsspace rocketsproviding a life of high quality
17DevelopmentEarly daysNameFunctionPoorStrongA _________ machineSimplify difficult sumsAn ________ machineThink logically and produce an answer quicklySolve difficult ______________________calculatinganalyticaluniversalmathematicalproblems
18Development Network times _________ stored in Tubes Large Small ____________Small chips______________________NarrowWideFinance________RobotsMobile phonesSpace rocketsMemoryTransistorsCommunicationApplicationsTradeMedical operations
19Answer the questions 1. How did the computer work as an Analytical Machine?The computer followed instructionsfrom cards with holes.
202. Why did people think the computer was simple-minded? Because the computer was made as acalculating machine and was used tosolve mathematical problems.
213. In how many ways do we say the computer changed? What are they?Size:Intelligence:Speed:Function:People’s opinion:smallerclevererquickercalculating---dealing with…, communicating with…clever & useful
22Summary I, the c_________, was a calculating machine in 1642 in F_______. In 1936, I became a“u________ machine” to s_____ anymathematical problem. Since the 1970s I havebeen used first as a P___ and then as a l______in office and h______.omputerranceniversalolveCaptopomes
23Many changes have happened to my s____, so my s______ totally changed.I have been widely used in many fields,I have also been put into robots to e_______the Moon and Mars.izehapexplore
24DiscussionShould high school studentssurf the internet(上网)?I think high school students shouldsurf the internet because…(first,secondly, thirdly)not surf the internet because…(first,secondly, thirdly…)
25Advantages We can communicate with friends Listen to the music See films & watch newsPlay gamesDo shoppingSave a lot of timeDo a lot of useful things
26Disadvantages Some people especially the teenagers abandon (沉迷于) themselves to the computer gamesand chatting on the Internet. As a result, theyhave little time to study .Some people use the computer wrongly.If you spend too much time on it, it will doharm to our health.
27There is no doubt that computer has ConclusionThere is no doubt that computer hastwo sides, too. If we make good useof it, it will make our lives more colorfuland convenient. But don’t lose yourselfin playing computers. Just remember:Keep fit, study well and work hard.
28考 考 你 1. What is IT? Information Technology. 2. What is W.W.W? 考 考 你2. What is W.W.W?World wide web.3. 科学技术Science and technology.4. 人工智能Artificial intelligence.5.笔记本电脑Notebook computer.
29What are today's smaller computers like? convenient laptopsmaller desktopWhat are today's smaller computers like?palmtop
30Role-playSuppose you are a reporter. Now you are interviewing Mr. / Miss Computer. Sample questions:… …What do you like to eat?What are your hobbies?What is your newestfunction(功能)?Can you say somethingabout your future plan? etc.
31New words and expressions card with holesuniversal machinememorynetworkWorld Wide Web穿孔卡通用机器内存网络万维网
33Match the words with their meanings. 1 A monitor is2 The screen is3 A keyboard is4 A mouse is5 A CD-ROM is6 A hard disk isthe part of a computerthat stores information.(b)the part of the computerthat you type on.(c)the part of the computerthat looks like a television(d)something you use toclick on things (files, etc.).(e)the part of the monitorthat you look at.(f)a separate disk thatcontains lots ofinformation.
341. Over time I have been changed quite a lot. Language Points1. Over time I have been changed quite a lot.1) over time 随着时间的推移eg. Can we talk about this over dinner ?She gradually got better over the summer.____ the next few days, they got to know thetown well.A. With B. Over C. For D. At2) have been changed现在完成时的被动语态B
352. calculate v.1) 计算; 核算We haven’t really calculated the cost ofthe vacation yet.我们还没有确切地计算出度假要花多少钱。2) 推测; 估计It is important to calculate what influencehe had on her life.现在无法估计他对她的生活产生多大影响。
36calculating adj.斤斤计较个人得失的; 自私的calculation n. 计算 calculator n. 计算器calculate on: depend on 指望We are calculating on having fineweather for the sports meeting.我们指望着运动会有好天气。be calculated to 被计划成, 打算eg.The ad. is calculated to attract children.
372. analytical adj. 分析的, 解析的analyse vt. 分析; 研究analogy n. 相似; 类似analysis n. 分析; 研究analyst n. 分析家analytic adj. 分析的; 分解的
383. universal adj. 通用的, 普遍的, 世界性的 English serves as the universal languagein the world .It’s the universal usage of this kind ofmachine.
395. Although I was young, I can _________ difficult sums.simplifyvt. 简化adj. simple 简单的, 朴素的头脑简单的simple-mindedsum n. 总数, 算术题, 金额in sum总之大量, 许多(不可数名词)a large sum of总之, 这个计划失败了他给了我很多食物。In sum, the plan failed.He gave me a large sum of food.
406. before conj. 在不同的语境中有不同的含义: (1)多久之后才 (2)在...以前 (3)以免, 不然(4)还没...就...(常和can 和could连用)eg.(1)It was a long time before I went to sleeplast night.(2)I would like to talk to you before you go.(3)Do it before you forget.(4)She hung up the phone before I couldanswer it.比较: not….until 直到……才……I didn’t complete the work until one year later.
417. artificial adj. 人工的, 人造的artificial flowers/limbs/pearls假花/假肢/假珍珠artificial intelligence 人工智能8. intelligence n．智力; 聪明intelligent adj. 有智力的; 聪明的;理解力强的①He is a person of great intelligence.他是个极聪明的人。②A dolphin is an intelligent animal.海豚是有智力的动物。
429. As time went by…=With time going by 1) as conj. 随着……, 引导时间状语从句。As time went on, Einstein's theory provedto be correct. 随着时间的推移,爱因斯坦的理论证明是正确的。表示“随着……”时, 也可以用with，但with是介词, 后面一般不接句子。With the passing of the years, they havebecome close friends.几年过去了, 他们已成了亲密朋友。
432) go by (时间)过去, 逝去; 从…经过;遵循, 以…来判断①一辆汽车全速驶过。A car went by at full speed.②一星期一星期慢慢地过去了。The weeks went slowly by.③不要错失这次机会。Don't let this chance go by.④那是需要遵守的好规章。That is a good rule to go by.
44(1)As time________, she became more and more anxious about her son's safety.A. passing B. going by C. passed D. goes by(2)Three months ________ before we knew it.A. passed by B. went C. went by D. past(3)As the wealth of the country increases,more and more waste will be produced.=________ the wealth of the country’s____________, more and more waste willbe produced.DCWithdevelopment
45(4)With the time________, our anxiety grew. goes by B. going byC. has gone by D. had gone by(5) A taxi_______________ (刚刚过去).You’ll have to wait a few more minutes.(6)Things will get easier as time goes by.(7)The weeks went by slowly.(8)He was in when I went by yesterday.Bhas just gone by
4610. As a result 结果; 终于; 因此My friend Martin was very sick with a strange fever; ___, he could neither eat nor sleep. (江西2005)A. as a result B. after allC. any way D. otherwise[点拨] 考查短语辨析。as a result结果; after all 毕竟; any way 不管怎样; otherwise 否则。由句意可知要选as a result。A
47as a result(=therefore ) As a result of(=because of)结果, 因此因为…思维拓展without result 毫无结果, 徒劳的result in 导致, 结果为result from 因为, 源自The fight resulted _____ a bitter(激烈的)argument.A bitter argument resulted ______ the fight.fromin
4912. And my memory became so large that even I couldn’t believe it! so + adj / adv + N + that如此….以致于such + n. (名词)+ thatso that + 句子为了….
50(1) He is _____ good a student _______we all like him.A. such; that B. so; whoC. such; as D. so; that(2) He is _____ a good student ______we allA. such; that B. so; whoC. such; as D. so; that(3) He got up early this morning ______ hecould catch the first bus.A. so as to B. so hatC. in order to D. so asDAB
51(4) There is ______ much work to do and he was______ worried about finishing it intime that he was quite nervous all day long.A. so; so B. such; suchC. so; such D. such; so(5) It was ______ that we went campingin the mountains.A. such nice weatherB. such a nice weatherC. so nice a weatherD. too nice weatherAA
52little表示数量少惯用so; 表示“小”时, 则前面用such; Summary(小结)so+adj./adv.such+n.many, much, few 前惯用so;little表示数量少惯用so; 表示“小”时,则前面用such;I have so little money that I can‘t lend you anyI have never seen such little sheep before
53so + 形容词(副词)+ that….结构中so + 形容词(副词)在句首时,句子用倒装结构。He works so hard that he seldom goes home.So hard does he work that he seldom goes home.So much of interest ____ that most visitors simply run out of time before seeing it all.A offers BeijingB Beijing offersC does Beijing offerD Beijing does offerC
5413. alone adj./adv. 独自的(地), 单独的(地), 可以作表、状语lonely 孤独的, 偏僻的, 荒凉的 可以作定、表语The old man lived ______ in a ______ house,but he didn’t feel ______. That is to say, hewas ______ in the house.alonelonelylonelyalone
5514. I have also been put into robots and used to make mobile phones as well as help with medical operations.1) help (sb) with sth 协助(某人)做某事e.g. A man is helping the police with their enquiries. 有一男子在协助警方进行调查。2) as well as 也, 还, 而且他不但能讲英语而且还能讲日语。He can speak English as well as Japanese.
56连接单词或者短语eg. 这个孩子健康又活泼。This child is lively as well as healthy.连接两个谓语时, 时态应保持一致eg. 他亲手建造并装修了这间房屋。He makes as well as decorates the room.连接两个名词作主语, 谓语取决于前面的名词eg. 我还有他们都愿意帮助你。I as well as they am willing to help you.
57他以及他的父母都喜欢看电影。He as well as his parents _____ watchingmovie.likesHe grows flowers as well as vegetables.She is a talented musician as well as a photographer.
5815. Anyhow, my goal is to provide humans with a life of high quality.1) anyhow 无论如何, 总之, 反正不管怎样, 这事值得一试。(句首)Anyhow it’s worth trying.也许会下雨, 但我们无论如何都要去。(句末)It may rain, but we’ll go anyhow.I don’t care what you say; I’m going to do it anyhow.
59比较: somehow 意为“以某种方式;不知 怎么地” eg. I’ve tried, but I can open the door anyhow.Perhaps I’m not quite fit for the job,but ______, please let me try.A. in fact B. anyhow C. so D. otherwise比较: somehow 意为“以某种方式;不知怎么地”B
603) provide vt. 向...提供..., 供应...provide sb with sth.=provide sth for sbeg. We provided the sufferers with foodand clother. =We provided food and clothesfor the sufferers.supply sb with sth=supply sth to sboffer sb sth =offer sth to sb
61Homework Review the passage 2. Do Ex. 1-3 on P20. 3. Read the story aboutBill Gates.