Presentation on theme: "Unit 1 The Restrictive and Non- Restrictive Attributive Clause."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 1 The Restrictive and Non- Restrictive Attributive Clause
Summary What happened to the Amber Room? First it was made by F the first, which was designed for his palace. However, F W the first gave it to P as a gift, which serve as a small reception hall. Later, C added more details to it and moved it from Czars winter palace to a palace where she spent
summers. During world War II, theNazi Army stole it and put it on a train for K. After that, what happened to the Amber Room remains a mystery. Recently, it has been rebuilt to celebrate the 300th birthday of St P.
1.The eyewitness, _____ was questioned by the police again and again, got a little upset. 2. The artist, _______ this painting belongs, is considered to be best one this year. who to whom
3. The speech, ______ bored everyone,went on and on. 4. The supermarket has little parking space, ________is really a problem. which
5. The boy, _________ handwriting is the best in his class, is rewarded with a dictionary. 6. I dont like the cars_________owners park too close to me. whose
7. He has been working in Beijing University for 5 years, ________he has devoted himself to language research. 8. I am seeing the manager tomorrow, _______he will be back from New York. where when
Ex. 3 (P4) 1. Here are the farmers. They discovered the underground city last month. Here are the farmers who discovered the underground city last month. Attributive Clause
2. Hangzhou is a famous city in China. Many people come to buy tea in that city. Hangzhou is a famous city in China in which/where many people come to buy tea.
3. She got so angry. I dont know the reason. I dont know the reason why she got so angry.
4. The old man saw some Germans taking apart the Amber Room and removing it. You are talking to an old man. The old man (who / whom / that ) you are talking to saw some Germans taking apart the Amber Room and removing it.
5. The woman remembered the day. She saw Nazis burying something near her home. The woman remembered the day when she saw Nazis burying something near her home.
6. St Petersburg is a very beautiful city. It was once called Leningrad. St Petersburg is a very beautiful city, which was once called Leningrad. 7. I remember the soldier. He told me not to tell anyone what I had seen. I remember the soldier, who told me not to tell anyone what I had seen.
8. The soldiers moved the boxes to a mine. They wanted to hide them. The soldiers moved the boxes to a mine, where they wanted to hide them. 9. Xian is one of the few cities with walls. Its walls remain as good as before. Xian is one of the few cities in which/where walls remain as good as before.
10. Shaanxi Province is a place with many cultural relics. Its cultural relics are well looked after. Shanxi Province is a place where cultural relics are well looked after.
(1) What surprised me was not what he said but the way _______________ he said it. (2) Were just trying to reach a point _____ both sides will sit down together and talk. (2006 (that / in which) where Practice
(3) ___ is often the case, we have worked out the production plan. (4) This is the very house _____ he lived. (5) Next winter, _____ you will spend in Harbin, Im sure, will be another exciting holiday. (6) Thats the reason ____ he was late. As where which why
(7) The pictures brought the days back to the old _____ they swam in the river. (8) Robert and his songs ____ were famous in the U. S. are also popular in China. (9) They are always smoking, _____ of course, will do harm to their health. (10) The situation _____ you use the words is very clear in fact. when that which where
1.The reason why he explained at the meeting surprised us. 2. I can remember the days when we spent together. why(that) when(that / which) Correct the mistakes
3. The way in which you talked about is very important for us. 4. Put the book in which you can it easily. in which(which / that) in whichwhere
1 Helen was much kinder to her youngest son than to the others, _____, of course, made the others envy ( ) him. (2004 ) A. who B. that C. what D. which
2 There were dirty marks on her trousers _______ she had wiped her hands. (2004 ) A. where B. which C. when D. that
3 The factory produces half a million pairs of shoes every year, 80% ________ are sold abroad. (2004 ) A. of which B. which of C. of them D. of that
4 The English play _______ my students acted at the New Years party was a great success. (2004 ) A. for which B. at which C. in which D. on which
5 I have many friends, some _______ are businessmen. (2005 ) A. why B. from which C. who of D. of whom
6 If a shop has chairs _______ women can park their men, women will spend more time in the shop. (2005 ) A. that B. which C. when D. where
7 Great changes have taken place in that school. It is no longer what it was 20 years ago, ______ it was so poorly equipped. (2005 ) A. when B. which C. what D. that
8 Jim passed the driving test, _______ surprised everybody in the office. 2005 A. which B. that C. this D. it
9 It is reported that two schools, _____ are being built in my hometown, will open next year. 2007 A. they both B. which both C. both of them D. both of which
10 By serving others, a person focuses on someone other than himself or herself, ___ can be very eye-opening and rewarding. 2007 A. who B. which C. what D. that