Presentation on theme: "Let’s look at living things"— Presentation transcript:
1Let’s look at living things Life ProcessesLet’s look at living things
2Living ThingsThere are many different types of living things and they all look very different when compared to each other.But all living things have seven things in common. We call these life processes. You need all seven to be alive.
3The seven life processes are…… movementreproductionsensitivitynutritionexcretionrespirationgrowthLet’s look at these in more detail
41. MovementAnimals move around using their whole bodies to get from one place to another.Plants move by turning towards the sun. Their roots move deeper into the soil
52. ReproductionAnimals have babies: some lay eggs and the babies hatch out of these.Plants produce seeds and new plants grow from them
63. SensitivityAll living things respond to changes in their environment and react to them.eg. People react to changes in the weather and temperature and make changes to their behaviour.eg. Flowers react to the light and close when it is dark.
74. NutritionFood is used by living things to give them the energy to do their usual things.Green plants use sunlight to make their energy.Animals eat plants; like leaves, fruits and vegetables; or other animals.
85. ExcretionWaste substances must be removed from the body. Both plants and animals need to get rid of water and other waste products.We do this when we go to the toilet.
96. RespirationAll living things use the oxygen in the air to convert food into energy.
107. Growth All living things grow, even if it is just a small amount. Babies and young animals become adults.Seeds grow into plants.
11Can you remember all seven life processes? 1. movement6. respiration4. nutrition2. reproduction5. excretion7. growth3. sensitivity
12Backgrounds and animations available from www.animationfactory.com Presentation by Bev Evans, 2008