Presentation on theme: "A. Restricting high-capacity magazines B. Lengthening waiting periods for hand gun purposes C. Halting sales of toy guns that look real D. Ensuring that."— Presentation transcript:
A. Restricting high-capacity magazines B. Lengthening waiting periods for hand gun purposes C. Halting sales of toy guns that look real D. Ensuring that felons do not have access to guns
A. Applied only to Chicago for technical legal reasons B. Said that states cannot require firearm safety locks C. Applied the individual right to “bear arms” to all the states D. Established that waiting periods are constitutional
A. The assassination of Senator and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy B. As assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan C. The mass shooting at Virginia Tech D. A historic Supreme Court ruling
A. Increased slightly B. Soared to new highs C. Dropped significantly D. Stayed constant
A. Want to repeal the Second Amendment B. Favor looser gun-control laws C. Favor stricter gun-control laws D. Want to curb TV violence
1. A- restricting high-capacity magazines 2. C-applied the individual right to “bear arms” to all the states 3. B- an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan 4. C-dropped significantly 5. C- favor stricter gun-control laws
Second Amendment: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” 1. Why was such an amendment important in the nation’s earliest years? Who made up the “militia” then?
2. Do you think there should be any restrictions on an individual’s right to own or carry guns today? If so, what kind?
3. Should people be able to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and bars? At school? On college campuses? Why or why not?
4. Why do you think more teens than adults support stronger gun-control laws?
5. When describing her bill to ban large-volume gun magazines, Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (NY) said, “This is not a gun control-bill. I like to use the word ‘gun-safety bills.’” What point do you think she was trying to make? Do you agree?