Functional Items Expressions vice versa; (be) faced with ;in disbelief ; drop into; dozens of ;now and again; hand out; drop in ;Call on; go on circuit; build on; to tell you the truth. 1. Expressing likes and dislikes I like to learn by making or doing a task. I like the teachers to help me solve a task. They like to be in control of things and organize others. The “C” students do not like working without guidance.
2. Expressing wishes and expectations ） What do you want to do after you leave university? I expect it’ll last about half an hour. 3. Interview Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself? Can I take notes in with me? What interests me is whether you would prefer this job or the one at Fabulous Computer Solutions?
Grammar 1. 识别主句和从句 The old man who was in blue found his luggage. The girl put on her coat and went out for lunch. 2. 识别主语、谓语、宾语、定语和状语 Unluckily the French girl who was hard-working could not pass the test successfully. Sentence analysis —simple, complex and compound sentences
Ability Goals Learn the job interview process and respond to basic skills Emotion Goals For students to develop good professional sense
Important and Difficult Points Important Points Difficult Points Master the vocabulary related to the usage of unit To learn and master the expression of expectations, like, dislike, interview
What appear in your mind when you see the word “career”? Career JobMoneySuccessleader……
Do you know Li Suzhi, do you think he made the right choice? Why?
1. Think about these questions and then discuss them with a partner. At what age did you start thinking about your future career? Do you have the same idea now? Why or why not? 2. Write down ten jobs that appeal to you. Read the list and consider if any of them seems more suitable for men than women or vice versa. Give your reasons. 3. Swap your list with your partner and see how different your lists and ideas are.
Explanation 1.But one morning she was faced with a question she had not thought of seriously before. 但是有一天早上，她面临一个她以前没有认 真考虑过的问题。
face 在这里作动词，意思是 “ 面对；面临 ” ，它 可直接接宾语。如： Face the facts, sir ! 面对事实吧，先生！ 另外，它也常用于词组 be faced with/by 表示 “ 面对；面临 ” 的意思。如： This must be faced with courage! 这必须以勇气去面对。
2. She stared at him in disbelief. 她带着不相信的眼神看着他。 stare at 是词组，意思是 “ 惊奇的凝视；瞪视 ” 如： Do not stare at me like that. 别那样盯着我看。 in disbelief 固定搭配，表示 “ 不相信；怀疑 ” 的意 思。如： He looked at her in disbelief. 他疑惑地看着她。
3. Liang Yu looked through the paper with interest. 梁玉饶有兴趣地仔细阅读者问卷。 look through 表示 “ 细查；自习阅读；将... 看 透 ” 的意思。如： I gave her article a quick look through. 她的文章我匆匆读过一遍.
4. This job is very interesting, builds on the volunteer work you’re been doing in the western provinces of China and would be very fulfilling. 这项工作很有趣，并且是建立在你自愿到中 国西部省份工作的基础上，而且能让你很充实。
build on 表示 “ 把（组织、体制）建立于 …… ; 以 …… 为基础 ” 的意思。如： We must build on our recent success. 我们必须依靠现有的成功。 fulfill vt. 表示 “ 履行；（使）实现 ” 的意思。 fulfilling 在这里作形容词，表示 “ 使人满足的；令人 满意的 ” 如： Jobs should be made as creative and fulfilling as possible. 应该尽可能使工作具有创造性并让人有成就感。
5. To tell you the truth, it’s very difficult to say at the moment. 说实话，目前还很难说。 to tell (you) the truth 表示 “ 说实在的；坦白 的说 ” 的意思。 “truth to tell” 表示相同的意思。 如： To tell the truth, I am puzzled. 说真的，我感到迷惑。
think of 意思是 “ 考虑；想起；记得 ” 如： He was in too much of a bind to think of that. 他当时处于困境，顾不上考虑这一点。 短语联想： think well of 认为... 好 think much of 认为... 很不错 think highly of 对... 评价很高 1. But one morning she was faced with a question she had not thought of seriously before. Language Points
2. This job is very interesting, builds on the volunteer work you’re been doing in the western provinces of China and would be very fulfilling. 这个句子是个简单句。 is, builds 和 would be 在这里并列做谓语。主语是 This job 。
Morphology suck 过去式： sucked sucked 过去分词： sucked sucked 现在分词： sucking sucking 名词复数： sucks sucks 及物动词 vt. & 不及物动词 vi. 吸 ; 吮 He sucked hard for air to keep breathing. 他拼命吸气以维持呼吸。 The baby was sucking its mother's breast. 婴儿正在吮吸母乳。
常用词组 suck in 1. 利用；欺骗；诈取 give suck 2. ( 古 ) 喂奶，哺乳 suck someone dry 3. 耗尽某人的体力（物力或感情） suck it and see 4. ( 英，非正式 ) 试一下就知道了 suck it up 5. ( 美，非正式 ) 接受苦难 suck up 6. ( 非正式 ) （尤指为了自己的利益）巴结，奉承 He has risen to where he is mainly by sucking up to the president. 他主要靠巴结奉承主席才升到现在的职位。
Expressions vice versa; 反过来也一样 (be) faced with; 面对 in disbelief; 在怀疑 dozens of; 很多 drop into; 顺便去某地；把 …… 放入 now and again; 时而，有时，偶尔 hand out; 分发；取出 drop in; 顺便拜访 call on; 拜访某人 go on circuit; 做巡回审判 build on; 以 …… 为基础，依赖 to tell you the truth. 事实上
主语和谓语是英语句子的两大成分，一句话 必须同时具有主语和谓语所表达的意思才能完整。 可以充当主语的词有： 名词，代词，数词， 不定式， it ， there be 句型。 A mooncake is a delicious, round cake. I don’t know if it will grow. One is not enough for me. I want one more. To give is better than to receive Who’s the baby in the picture? It’s my sister. There are many different kinds of mooncakes.
谓语有动词构成，依据其在句中繁简程度可把 谓语分为简单谓语和复合谓语两类。 不论何种时态，语态，语气，凡由一个动词 （或动词词组）构成的谓语都是简单谓语。 I made your birthday cake last night. 复合谓语也可分为两种情况： 第一种是由情 态动词，助动词 + 不带 to 的动词不定式构成的复合 谓语： What does this word mean? 第二种是由连系动词 + 表语构成的复合谓语。 例如： You look the same.
宾语是谓语动作所涉及的对象, 它是动作的承 受者, 宾语可以由名词或起名词作用的成分担任， 宾语一般放在谓语动词后面。 I saw a cat in the tree. He said he could be here.
定语是用来限定、修饰名词或代词的，定语是对 名词或代词起修饰、限定作用的词、短语或句子，汉 语中常用 ‘…… 的 ’ 表示。 充当定语的有：主要由形容词担任。任。此外，名词、 代词、数词、副词、介词短语以及动词不定式（短 语）、分词和定语从句等都可用作定语。 The little boy needs a blue pen. （形容词） His boy needs a ball pen. （名词） The boy in the classroom needs a pen of yours. （介词 短语） The boy there needs a pen （副词） The boy to write this letter needs a pen. （不定式） The smiling boy needs a pen bought by his mother. （分词）
He speaks English very well. （副词） I come specially to see you. （不定式） My parents often tell us about their bitter life in the past. （介词短语） When she was 12 years old, she began to live in Dalian. （从句） Having had a quarrel with his wife, he left home in a bad temper. （分词）
Speaking Meanwhile Liang Yu has seen a job that she would like to apply for instead of studying abroad. She has written her CV and now she needs to write a letter of application. Look at the advertisement and then in pairs discuss what should be put into a letter of application.
WANTED -Graduates with fluent English We are a small software company hoping to expand its business overseas. To do this we need three graduates with excellent English to join our overseas. To do this we need first with our software managers to learn the technical side of the business. Then they would move on to marketing our products in India. We need three young people (male or female)with good interpersonal skills excellent spoken and written English
good understanding of technology and software design excellent presentational skills and the ability to explain complex is use simply If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a letter of application to : Dr Du Wen,Fabulous Computer Soutions,178,Great Wall Road, Beijing Tel: *
Reading and Writing Write a letter of application is a format procedure. You need to follow this plan: Plan for letter of application: 1.Your address 2.Data and reference number of job 3.Begin: ”Dear Dr Du,” 4.Underneath put the post you are applying for:” Post in management : overseas division” 5.Important personal information related to the job(including qualifications). 6.Finish:”I think that I have the necessary skills for this job and will do it successfully. Yours sincerely, (your signature)
Tianjin University, Tianjin 12/7/200____ ref:61/03 Dear Mr Li, Post in Financial Services Department I would like to apply for a post in your financial services department. I have an accountancy qualification, and an MA in Financial Management (Tianjin University) … I think I have the necessary skills for this post and will do the job successfully. Yours sincerely, (Wang Wei)
Here are some useful tips: remember not to use contractions (eg. I’ll) or conversational English; write correct grammatical sentences; keep it short- no more than half a page of writing. Information in a CV should be relevant to the job. Use your own words.
1. What skills have you learned about applying for a job? 2. What methods would you now use to look for your career? 4. Useful expressions: 3. Useful words: 5. Analyze the italic sentences in the passage of the reading Task.
1.Millions of pounds’ worth of damage ______by a storm which swept across the north of England last nigh. （ 2005 重庆） A. has been caused B. had been caused C. will be caused D. will have been caused 【点拨】考例强调对现在的影响或结果， damage 是不可数名词，谓语动词只能用第三人称单 数，和 cause 之间是动宾关系，故用现在完成时的被 动语态，故选 A 。
2. With more forests being destroyed, huge quantities of good earth ____each year. （ 2005 山东） A. is washing away B. is being washed away C. are washing away D. are being washed away 【点拨】此题考查了时态、语态和主谓一致两个方 面。从前面的 with 复合结构可以看出句子应用现在进 行时， earth 和 wash away 之间是动宾关系，故用现在 进行时的被动语态。 (huge) quantities of 作定语修饰 的名词作主语时，谓语动词与 quantities 保持一致， 用复数，与所修饰的名词无关，，故选 D 。
3. The policeman’s attention was suddenly caught by a small box which ______ placed under the Minister’s car. （ 2005 广东） A. has been B. was being C. had been D. would be 【点拨】考例从主句可以看出， place 这个动作发 生在主句动词 catch 所表示的动作之前，先行词和 place 之间是动宾关系，故用过去完成时的被动语态， 选 C 。
1. I thought I’d just and see how you were. A. drop off B. drop out C. drop in D. drop back Choose the best answers 2. Chery looked at me and hoped our company would with hers. A. expectant, cooperate B. expectantly, cooperate C. expectantly, cooperation D. expectation, cooperation C B
3. Each of us is likely to develop personal for certain types of career. A. preferably B. prefer C. preferable D. preference 4. The car almost off the road and into the river, and the driver was so frightened that he even forgot to put the on. A. swerve, break B. swerves, brake C. swerving, brakes D. swerved, brakes D D