2The Selling (Sales) Process A step by step process a salesperson uses to help customers reach buying decisions & ensure satisfaction.
37 Steps of the Selling Process Prepare to sellApproach the customer & establishing relationshipsDetermine customer needsPrescribe solutions & present the productOvercome objectionsClose the saleReaffirm buyer-seller relationships
41. Preparing to Sell Acquire product knowledge Identify features & benefitsGenerating sales leadsPrepare a sales presentation
52. Approaching the Customer & Establishing Relationships Put the customer at ease by setting the mood or atmosphereEncourage customers to want to hear about the productGain customer confidenceCreate favorable impressions
7You never get a second chance to make a first impression!
8Methods for the initial approach: Service Approach MethodAsk if assistance is needed.“How may I help you?”Greeting Approach MethodSalesperson welcomes the customer & establishes a positive atmosphere.“Good morning.”Merchandise Approach MethodLet the customer look around. When they show interest in a product, make a comment or asks a question.
93. Determining Customer Needs Ask customer questionsListen to their needs & wantsObserve customer reactionsAnalyze customer reactions & comments
104. Prescribing Solutions & Presenting the Product Offer solutions based on diagnosed customer needsShow limited number to avoid confusionSell the benefits of the productPresent the product & demonstrate features that best satisfy customer needsConcentrate on main item of interest to close the sale
115. Overcome ObjectionsObjection – A question or concern raised by customers after they have been shown a product.Identify customer objectionsAddress specific concernsPut the customer at ease by specifically answering their concerns
126. Close the Sale Look for signals that the customer is ready to buy Ask the customer for their businessHandle procedures to finalize the sale
137. Reaffirm Buyer-Seller Relationship Help customers feel confident with their purchaseFollow up after time to assure customer satisfactionProvide all contact info. for problemsSuggestion Selling – Often can suggest other products that compliment main purchase. (i.e. buy socks after the purchase of shoes)
14Selling Acronym People (Prepare) Are (Approach) Nice (Needs) So (Solutions)Open (Objections)Closed (Close)Rooms (Relationships)