11. Nub (n.) The main point of a topic A knob Ex: Lets get to the nub of the issue!
12. Onslaught (n.) An attack A sudden rush (a lot of) something Ex: When lunch is let out, there is an onslaught of students in the hallway.
13. Ordain (v.) To establish by law To order To appoint officially Ex: At the end of the training, she was ordained as a police officer.
14. Outstrip (v.) To get ahead To do better than Ex: The North Penn swim team outstripped the other team and won.
15. Pervade (v.) To spread around Ex: The smell of her perfume pervades the hallway.
16. Prudent (adj.) Careful Making good choices Ex: Please be prudent as you take your test so you dont make any silly mistakes.
17. Quench (v.) To put out To get rid of To end Ex: On a hot, summer day, I like to quench my thirst with lemonade. Ex: The fireman quenched the fire with the hoses.
18. Remnant (n.) A small part A leftover Ex: There was only a remnant of pizza left after the party.
19. Simultaneous (adj.) Happening at the same time Ex: Right now, there are simultaneous classes at NP.
20. Swerve (v., n.) To turn sharply A sharp turn Ex: I had to swerve my car to miss the deer in the road.
Practice 1.Red eyes and green hair are _________. 2.______ a DVD or CD from the drive. 3.Write one example of a catastrophe. 4.Write one incentive for coming to school. 5.The core of an apple. Your heart. 6.Do this to a fire or your thirst. 7.Be _____ when you drive or take a test. 8.Perfume, soldiers, pollution, water 9.He never agrees with anything! He is so _____! 10.If you want to lose weight, ____ your calories.
11. plants, people, animals, flowers 12. There was a ____ of food left after the party. 13. Make sure to use ____ handwriting on the quiz. 14. Police officers, priests, teachers, marriages 15. Cell phones, Ipods, food outside the café 16. Name something that could capsize. 17. Two reasons you would swerve your car. 18. waterfall, attack, shoppers on black Friday 19. Classes at NPHS right now are _____. 20. An A _____ a B on the test.