UNDERSTANDING YOUR HEALTH What is Health and Wellness?
OBJECTIVES: define health. identify the three sides of the health triangle. explain how health habits affect wellness.
What is health? Looking fit and feeling well are important, but good health does not stop there. health A combination of physical, mental/emotional, and social well-being The choices you make and actions you take every day shape your health.
HEALTH TRIANGLE Physical Mental/ Emotional Social
Health Inventory Write yes or no for each statement. 1. I generally like and accept who I am. 2. I deal with stress in positive ways. 3. I eat a healthy breakfast every day.
4. If I have a problem with someone, I try to work it out. 5. I do at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 times a week. 6. I express my emotions in healthy ways.
7. I share my thoughts and feelings with others. 8. I stay within 5 pounds of my weight range. 9. I can accept constructive criticism.
10. I use a seat belt whenever I ride in a car. 11. I get at least 8 hours of sleep at night. 12. I enjoy being alone at times. 13. I do not use alcohol or illegal drugs.
14. I feel that I communicate well with others. 15. I refuse to ride with drivers who have been using alcohol or other drugs. 16. I have at least one hobby that I enjoy. 17. I do not use tobacco.
18. I work well in a group. 19. I have at least one or two close friends. 20. I say no when people ask me to do things that might threaten my health or safety.
SCORE Check your score. Give yourself 1 point for each YES. Check your score. Give yourself 1 point for each YES. SCORE: SCORE: 16-20: Very Good 16-20: Very Good 11-15: Good 11-15: Good 6-10: Fair 6-10: Fair Think seriously about the choices and decisions you make each day.
Physical Health Eat nutritious foods and snacks. Eat nutritious foods and snacks. Get regular checkups from a doctor and a dentist. Get regular checkups from a doctor and a dentist. Get regular exercise. Get regular exercise.
MENTAL/EMOTIONAL HEALTH You like and accept yourself. You like and accept yourself. You are able to handle challenges. You are able to handle challenges. You find positive solutions to your problems. You find positive solutions to your problems.
SOCIAL HEALTH You like and accept yourself. You like and accept yourself. Communicating with, respecting and valuing people. Communicating with, respecting and valuing people. Making and keeping friends. Making and keeping friends.
HOW DO WE ACHIEVE A HEALTHY BALANCE? When one side of the health triangle changes, the other two are affected. Over time, ignoring any side of your health triangle can affect your total health.
WELLNESS AND TOTAL HEALTH When your health is in balance, you are more likely to have a high level of wellness. wellness A state of well-being, or total health Wellness is an indication of your current health habits and behaviors. Example Health Inventory.