Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byBarrie Johnston Modified over 7 years ago
Fun Facts!!! If we looked at all the blood vessels in your body, what would the total length be? Around the world twice! How many times will your heart beat in a lifetime? 3 billion!!
1. Functions of CV system Provides nutrients and oxygen through blood Carries away waste (CO2) Helps fight disease
2. The CV system consists of three main parts Heart, Blood, Blood Vessels
3. The Heart Consists of 4 chambers Atria – top 2 chambers Ventricles – bottom 2 chambers Valves between the chambers allow the blood to flow through
4. Blood Delivers O2, and nutrients to cells and carries away wastes Composed of: Plasma – watery fluid (about 55%) Red blood cells – contain hemoglobin which carries O2 White Blood cells – protect body against disease Platelets – help blood clot
5. Blood Vessels – 3 types Artery Carries oxygenated blood AWAY from the heart Veins Return blood TO the heart Capillaries Very small vessels that connect arteries to veins
Lets see how the heart works Pathway of Blood Pathway of Blood
1. Blood enters through superior and inferior vena cava
2. The blood enters the right atrium
3. Blood spills into right ventricle
4. Blood enters the pulmonary arteries.
5. From here, blood goes to your lungs to pick up O2
6. Oxygen rich blood returns to your heart through pulmonary veins
7. Blood enters left atrium.
8. Blood enters the left ventricle
9. Blood is pumped through the aorta and delivered to rest of body.
Pathway of Blood Through the Heart Any questions? Lets watch it again… Pathway of Blood Pathway of Blood
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.