Presentation on theme: "Global Energy Supply and Use. The Sun: Source of Earth’s Energy The Sun is the primary (> 99%) source of heat for the planet Direct Indirect: –Wind –Water."— Presentation transcript:
The Sun: Source of Earth’s Energy The Sun is the primary (> 99%) source of heat for the planet Direct Indirect: –Wind –Water moving –Biomass Commercial Energy: the remaining ~ 1% energy –Mostly from extracting and burning non-renewable fossil fuels
Commercial Energy Uses? Transportation, Heating, Industry, and Electricity Generation –These are not the same –Substitution not always practical/possible 84% from non-renewable The future does not look much different…
Description200720062005200420032002 Coal2,016,4561,990,5112,012,8731,978,3011,973,7371,933,130 Petroleum65,73964,166122,225121,145119,40694,567 Natural Gas896,590816,441760,960710,100649,908691,006 Other Gases13,45314,17713,46415,25215,60011,463 Nuclear806,425787,219781,986788,528763,733780,064 Hydroelectric Conventional 247,510289,246270,321268,417275,806264,329 Other Renewables105,23896,52587,32983,06779,48779,109 Wind34,45026,58917,81114,14411,18710,354 Solar Thermal and Photovoltaic 612508550575534555 Wood and Wood DerivedFuels 39,01438,76238,85638,11737,52938,665 Geothermal14,63714,56814,69214,81114,42414,491 Other Biomass16,52516,09915,42015,42115,81215,044 Pumped Storage-6,896-6,558 -8,488-8,535-8,743 Other12,23112,974[R]12,821[R]14,232[R]14,04513,527 All Energy Sources 4,156,7454,064,7024,055,4233,970,5553,883,1853,858,452 Electric Power Sources-Energy Information Administration (US) (1000 mW-hr)
NET Electricity Generation (trillion kW-hr) 200520102015202020252030Avg Annual Change Liquid/Petro1.00.90.8 -0.9 Nat Gas188.8.131.52.07.78.43.7 Coal7.29.010.712.113.715.43.1 Nuclear2.62.73.03.184.108.40.206 Renewable220.127.116.11.24.65.01.8 World Electricity Generation Forecast web site www. eia.doe.gov/iea.
NET Energy: the energy that matters Takes energy to make energy Net = (total energy in resource) – (energy needed to find, extract, process, deliver Could also present as a ratio: –Net Energy Ratio = (useful energy produced)/(useful energy used to produce) Obviously, this ratio should be > 1 Now, let’s take another look at the previous slide