6. Who granted a charter to the Virginia Company? King James, of England
7. What did the charter guarantee to the English colonists?
8. Jamestown was located on a narrow __________ on the ________ River. peninsula James
9. Today the original Jamestown site is located on an _________ in the James River. island
It was easy to defend. 10. Four reasons they chose a this site: The water was deep enough for ships to dock. They thought they had a good supply of fresh water. They had instructions to go further inland.
marshy land unsafe drinking water diseases and starvation many settlers lacked necessary skills
12. What changes insured the survival of Jamestown? emphasis on agriculture John Smith’s rule: “If you don’t work, you don’t eat” arrival of supply ships
13. Why was John Smith’s friendship with the Powhatan important? He initiated trading relationships with the Powhatan.
14. What did the native peoples mainly trade with the settlers? food tools, copper for jewelry, and pots What did the settlers give them in exchange?
15. Who taught the settlers survival skills? Chief Powhatan
16. Who served as a contact between the settlers and the native peoples? Pocahontas
17. What two new crops did the Powhatan introduce to the colonists? corn and tobacco
18. Tobacco was sold in England as Jamestown’s _______ _______. cash crop
19. What do you think happened when the English Settlers started taking more and more a Powhatan land to grow tobacco? l The Powhatan fought back and stopped giving food to the settlers
20. What did this fighting lead to during the Winter of 1609-1610? The Starving Time:
21. The economy of the Virginia colony now depended on ______________ as the primary source of wealth. tobacco