Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byGyles Gilmore Modified over 7 years ago
Social Studies STAAR Test Review
83. 1861-1865 Years of the Civil War.
84. Confederate States of America Formed by former Southern states.
85. Jefferson Davis President of the Confederate States.
86. Ulysses S. Grant Commander of Union (North) forces during the Civil War.
87. Robert E. Lee Commander of the Confederate (South) forces during the Civil War.
88. Fort Sumter Opening battle of the Civil War.
89. Battle of Gettysburg Northern victory which was the turning point of the war in the East. Southern troops withdrew.
90. Gettysburg Address Speech by Lincoln which reaffirmed the North’s commitment to winning the war.
91. Battle of Vicksburg Northern victory which was the turning point of the war in the West. North controlled the Mississippi River.
92. Emancipation Proclamation Issued by Lincoln. Freed the slaves in the rebelling states (south).
93. Appomattox Court House Civil War ended with a Union victory when Lee surrendered to Grant.
94. Reconstruction Amendments 13 th - Ended slavery and made it illegal. 14 th - Defined citizenship and gave equal protect under the law. 15 th - Granted Black men the right to vote.
95. Andrew Johnson Became President after Lincoln’s assassination. Wanted to treat the South leniently.
96. Black Codes Passed by Southern states to limit the civil rights and freedom of the freedmen. To all Freedmen: Any Freedman found without a job will be fined and possibly jailed!
97. Freedman’s Bureau Created to help freedmen adjust and to set up schools to educate them. They were given food, clothing and medical care.
98. Homestead Act Allowed any citizen to own 160 acres of land if they lived on it for 5 years and improved it. Contributed to people moving westward.
99. Morrill Act Gave each state 30,000 acres of federal land times the number of its members of Congress. States could sell land to fund public colleges. Colleges Established Under the Morrill Act Iowa State Kansas State Michigan State Rutgers University Penn State University University of Vermont University of Minnesota University of Missouri University of Wisconsin
100. Dawes Act Broke up Indian tribes and promoted the assimilation of Native Americans into American society. Caused Indians to lose most of their lands.
Maps To Know
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.