4. What is an ionic bond? An ionic bond is when one ore more electrons are transferred to another atom. The change in the atoms’ charges cause the ions to be attracted.
5. What is a covalent bond? A covalent bond is when one or more electrons are shared.
6. What does organic chemistry mean? Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon and life.
7. What is the chemical formula for water? The chemical formula for water is H 2 O. Draw the structure of a water molecule.
8. What is polarity and explain how water is a polar molecule. A polar molecule has a slightly positive charge at one end and a slightly negative charge at the other end. Water is slightly negative around the oxygen and slightly positive near the hydrogens.
9. What is a hydrogen bond and what causes it? A hydrogen bond is when a hydrogen molecule is attracted to a slightly negative atom.
10. What is cohesion? Cohesion is when similar molecules are attracted to each other. Water molecules are attracted to other water molecules.
11. What is adhesion? Adhesion is when different molecules are attracted to each other. Water molecules are attracted to other molecules.
12. What is a solution? A solution is a mixture where a solute is dissolved in a solvent.
13. What is a solute? A solute is a substance the is dissolved in a solvent.
14. What is a solvent? A solvent is a substance that dissolves another substance.