Presentation on theme: "Understanding Culture Chapter 3 Section 1. Culture The way of life of people who share similar beliefs and customs Eight elements, known as traits, are."— Presentation transcript:
1) Social Groups Compare different groups of people in a society Compare the number of rich, poor, and middle class people Look at how the young and old are treated Study the different roles of men and women Examine a country’s different ethnic groups
Ethnic Groups A group of people who share a common history, language, religion, and some physical characteristics.
2 Particular Ethnic Groups: Majority Group- Controls most of the wealth and power Minority Group- People whose race or ethnic origin is different of that of the majority group
2) Language Sharing a language is one of the strongest unifying forces for a culture. There maybe different dialects of the language spoken
Dialect A local form of a language Examples: -Soda, pop, coke -Ya’ll
3) Religion Helps people answer basic questions about life’s meaning Religious beliefs vary significantly around the world *See Chart Excerpt
4) Daily Life What and how people eat. Examples: -Pizza, tacos, egg roll -Fingers, silverware ∙What people wear ∙What style of homes they build
5) History Shapes how we view the world We celebrate holidays to honor successes
6) Arts A way of culture expression Paintings and sculptures Architecture, dance, music, theater, and literature
7) Government People need rules in order to live together without conflict. Rules and laws are created by governments *See Chart Excerpt
8) Economy How the people in a society earn a living Examples: -Farm -Manu factor Products -Provide Services: Design a web page, prepare food
Cultural Change Cultures do not remain the same. Humans constantly invent new ideas and technologies
Cultural Diffusion Process of spreading new knowledge and skills to other cultures Today television and the internet are making this process occur very rapidly.
Culture Over Time (1) First Human Societies -Hunting and Gathering -Nomadic- move from place to place, to follow sources of food
Culture Over Time (2) Then, 10,000 Years Ago -People learned to grow food, by planting seeds -This brought about the Agricultural Revolution -People stayed in one place and built civilizations
Civilizations Highly developed cultures Among the first Civilizations were, present day: 1.Iraq 2.Egypt 3.India 4.China
Culture Over Time (3) 1700s and 1800s Countries began to industrialize, use machines and factories to make goods As a result, the Industrial Revolution occurred People began to live longer, healthier, more comfortable lives.
Culture Over Time (4) Recently The Information Revolution
Culture Regions Regions- Areas that share common characteristics Culture Regions- Different countries that share common traits