We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byValerie Hubbard
Modified over 4 years ago
© Boardworks Ltd 20091 of 9
© Boardworks Ltd 20092 of 9 Saving energy? Sayid has decided to save energy by staying in bed all day. Surprisingly, the answer is only about 30%. How much of his energy do you think this will save? The other 70% keeps his body temperature at 37 °C (98.6 °F), and the solutions around his cells at just the right concentration.
© Boardworks Ltd 20093 of 9 What is homeostasis? The body uses so much energy, even during sleep, because it must maintain a constant internal environment. This process of keeping things the same is called homeostasis. A series of automatic control systems ensures that the body maintains a constant temperature and steady levels of water, ions and blood sugar. Homeostasis allows the body’s cells to work at their optimum.
© Boardworks Ltd 20094 of 9 Keeping comfortable
© Boardworks Ltd 20095 of 9 The organs of homeostasis
© Boardworks Ltd 20096 of 9 Why control temperature? Environmental temperature is constantly changing. One minute it can be very hot, the next very cold. Even slight changes in body temperature can have a life- threatening effect on health. If body temperature falls too low, reactions become too slow for cells to survive; too high, and the body’s enzymes are at risk of denaturing. Despite this, the body must be kept at a constant temperature of 98.6 °F, or 37 °C. Why? This is the optimum temperature for the body’s enzymes.
© Boardworks Ltd 20097 of 9 Negative feedback in the body
© Boardworks Ltd 20098 of 9 Why is water important? The human body is about 60-70% water. Water is produced by the body during respiration, and absorbed from food and drink. Water is lost from the body in exhaled air, sweat, urine and feces. How is water gained and lost? Water molecules and ions constantly move in and out of cells, and are essential for all life processes. Dehydration (loss of too much water from the body) damages cells.
© Boardworks Ltd 20099 of 9 Controlling blood glucose Between meals, blood glucose levels are topped up from stored deposits in the liver and muscles. After a meal, blood glucose rises but quickly returns to normal. Where does the excess go? Why not leave it in the blood? Excess glucose makes the blood plasma and tissue fluid around cells too concentrated. This can severely damage cells, for example, causing crenation in red blood cells. However, low blood sugar levels can be equally as dangerous, as it can make cells swell up and burst. This is called lysis.
Homeostasis in humans- part 1
Homeostasis This Powerpoint is hosted on
Feedback Mechanisms Response to Environmental Changes.
B4 - Homeostasis What you should know…..
Sponge (Pg. 36) Hypothesize how these climbers hang on to their body temperature.
Boardworks High School Science Homeostasis
Importance of Homeostasis in Mammals metabolic reactions are controlled by enzymes enzymes work best in a narrow range of temperature & pH only.
Revision of controlling conditions. Controlling conditions 1.The conditions inside your body are known as its i…………. e………………. 2.Your body has to keep.
© Boardworks Ltd of 10. © Boardworks Ltd of 10 What is osmosis? water glucose partially- permeable membrane (dialysis tubing) Osmosis is the.
Boardworks GCSE Additional Science: Biology
Physiological Homeostasis Chapter 33. Internal Environment Millions of cells in a body make up a community Different parts of the body dependent on.
Keystone Anchor BIO.A.4.2 Explain mechanisms that permit organisms to maintain biological balance between their internal and external environments.
© Boardworks Ltd of 9. © Boardworks Ltd of 9 What is homeostasis? Remember, one of the Characteristics of Life is homeostasis. Many of the.
Requirements Alcohol thermometers Strip thermometers Infrared thermometer.
Objectives Students should learn: How and why your blood sugar rises and falls that the pancreas monitors and controls the level of glucose in the blood.
Learning outcomes... Most: explain how water levels are maintained by a balance between input and output Should: explain how the kidneys respond to changes.
What is blood glucose? Glucose is a type of sugar used by the body to provide energy. Sometimes there is too much glucose in the blood, and sometimes there.
Staying in balance Arrange the cards into a table listing the ways in which the body can gain or lose heat. Gain HeatLose Heat Describe how heat can be.
© 2020 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.