Presentation on theme: "1. Question Mental illnesses affect people from all different backgrounds and demographics. There are many negative stereotypes associated with mental."— Presentation transcript:
1. Question Mental illnesses affect people from all different backgrounds and demographics. There are many negative stereotypes associated with mental illness and for many years treatment options were limited. As the field of psychology has grown and conducted research many approaches to treatment have developed. Many people who are diagnosed with a mental illness can experience relief from their manifestations by seeking treatment from a mental health care provider. In this research project you will be examining a specific approach to treatment and apply various approaches to a scenario of someone who is seeking help in dealing with their mental illness. 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444 Next Image Source: Microsoft Clip Art
2. Information Sources Humanistic World Book Article Psych Central Simply Psychology Cognitive Counseling Overview Depression and Therapy History and Summary Behavioral Safari Video Counseling Overview Encyclopedia Britannica Psychodynamic World Book Article Safari Video APA Article Social (Group and Family Therapies) General Video General Article What Is Group Therapy? 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444 Next Image Source: Microsoft Clip Art You and your classmates will be assigned one of the following approaches to psychological study to research. Use these resources to conduct your research
3. Student Activity Research your assigned psychological approach to therapy, recording information to answer the following questions: What types of treatments are endorsed by this approach? Why? How do these treatments reflect the psychological perspective’s assumptions regarding the nature of human behavior? What are the benefits and drawbacks of applying this therapeutic approach? What types of disorders might be best served by the application of these therapies? Does the age of the patient factor in to this approaches’ effectiveness? 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444 Next Image Source: Microsoft Clip Art Develop a group presentation that summarizes your findings, organize your group presentation using a digital platform such as PowerPoint, Prezi, Thinglink, Inspiration, or Padlet (formerly Wallwisher). Prezi,ThinglinkPadlet Present your findings to the class and take notes on others’ presentations. Record details and examples to clarify your understanding of each approach and think about how it compares to your research.
4. Assessment Activity Read the following scenario and create a response that addresses therapy options for Andrea based on your researched approach.scenario Make sure your response includes which approach would be best suited for Andrea’s situation. Consider all of the psychological approaches to therapy. You will communicate your group response digitally using Voki or Voicethread.VokiVoicethread 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444 Next Click on this Voki for an introduction to your assessment
5. Enrichment Activities Based on the story of Cinderella create a short skit that demonstrates your knowledge of the approaches to therapy. Chose an approach that is different from the one you presented in class. Identify which approach your skit is addressing You may model your skit after the one provided. Use the notes you gathered during the class presentations. Using VoiceThread, or another digital platform to record your skit is a great way to showcase your knowledge.VoiceThread Cinderella: Humanistic Approach 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444 Next Image Source:
6. Teacher Support Materials National Standards for High School for Psychology Curricula Content Standard 1: Perspectives on Treatment – 1.2: Match methods of treatment to psychological perspectives. – 1.3: Explain why psychologist use a variety of treatment options. Content Standard 2: Categories of treatment and types of treatment procedures: – 2.3: Describe appropriate treatments for different age groups. – 4: Evaluate the efficacy of treatments for particular disorders. Common Core State Standards Reading: 1. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text. Writing: 7. Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation. Standards for the 21 st Century Learner Standards for the 21 st Century Learner 1.1.6 Read, view, and listen for information presented in any format (e.g. textual, visual, media, digital) in order to make inferences and gather meaning. 2.1.3 Use strategies to draw conclusions from information and apply knowledge to curricular areas, real-world situations, and further investigations. Maryland Technology Literacy Standards for Students 3.0: Use a variety of technologies for learning and collaboration. Time Frame: Research and preparation should be completed in one 90 minute class period. Students may want to complete their research and presentation for home work. Presentations, applications, and assessment will be completed in the following class period. Differentiation: Differentiate the process by presenting students with the given scenario first and having them work together to investigate all 5 of the psychological approaches in determining the best treatment option or options. Have groups propose their findings to the class. Learning Styles: Visual, auditory, field dependent, global Notes to the teacher: Teachers should choose/ approve what approach students will analyze. Teachers will need to see their technology liaison or library media specialist for assistance in creating accounts for Wall Wisher, Voki, Voice Thread and Prezi Last updated: July 2015 Created by Sarah McComb linked to email address, Social Studies High School Teacher BCPS Slam Dunk Research Model, Copyright 2013, Baltimore County Public Schools, MD, all rights reserved. The models may be used for educational, non-profit school use only. All other uses, transmissions, and duplications are prohibited unless permission is granted expressly. This lesson is based on Jamie McKenzie’s Slam Dunk Lesson module.Sarah McComb Jamie McKenzie’s Slam Dunk Lesson module 1111 2222 3333 6666 5555 4444